Sunday, September 27, 2009

Catch a Falling Star and...hide it in the back of your stash?

I have sad news today, dear readers. And then some complaining. And then maybe a Diet Coke fueled binge/crying jag. We'll see. But first, something happy! It poured all yesterday, so the temperature plummeted here in St. Louis. House is open and it was COLD last night. Ahh the beginnings of fall. I love it. Sleeping is so much more awesome when done under a pile of blankets. I can't wait. We'll probably have an Indian summer sweep through (Can you still say that? Seriously, is that offensive? I don't intend it to be, I just don't know what else to call it.), but for now I'm just enjoying some beginnings of sweater weather.

So, for the bad news. Doomsday is tomorrow. GRE test. I'm FREAKING THE EFF OUT. During my (tiny, miniscule amount of) studying, I realized I don't remember crap. Math -- completely gone from my head. Analogies -- ugh, just stab me with a fork now and get it over with. So for this weekend, as I think I suggested in my last post, I wanted a polish that made me happy. So I could look down at my nails during a panic attack in the middle of the test and kind of just....relax. Sadly, the polish I chose is failing me already, and that just makes me sadder.

So, as I said before, I ordered a TON of stuff from Barielle. The entire reason I did is for one polish. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to try out the others, but this one makes a little musical song and dance number break out in my head. It's like Once More with Feeling -- sans the death -- combined with the glorious musical number of (500) Days of Summer -- sans the sex.

That glorious polish, is Barielle's Falling Star. In the bottle, it's gorgeous. On the nail, it's gorgeous. The next day it's....falling off my nails. IT'S FALLING OFF MY FREAKING NAILS!

Okay, here's where the true kvetching starts. So, I didn't say anything about how U-Concrete-Me applied last time because, honestly, I thought it sucked. But since other bloggers seemed not to be that bothered, and I later remembered I was sitting directly under a fan, I assumed it was my doing, so I held off judgement. It was my first experience with Barielle, after all. But now? I still had the same application problems, and on top of that, major chipping within a day of application. The polish wouldn't spread on my nail, it just kind of globbed on in one spot and then refused to move, so if I look closely, I can see those annoying patches of thickness. Gross. Plus, I think the most extensive thing I did with my nails yesterday was fold some laundry, and as you're about to see, Falling Star just kept popping off my nails. If it can't hold up to some fluffy towels....well that's just lame.

Beware intrepid readers. The pictures you are about to see are...not pretty. I'm showing you untouched up nails, all chipped and gross. I just thought you should see the extent of the damage.
See? This isn't just some light tip wear or something. I'm so disappointed. Now, to be completely fair, I did slightly alter my regimen. Normally I use some Sally Hansen ultra nourishing base coat, lately the one for peeling nails, which is my biggest problem. But this time I had a free bottle of Seche Clear base coat (thanks for the tip, Steff!), so I used that, then two coats of Falling Star, and one of a brand new, non-globby, nice and sleek bottle of Seche Vite top coat. So, true, that's new. But still, I'm pretty sure Seche's base coat isn't what caused my nails to start shedding IN ONE DAY. That's just pathetic. I'll definitely wear this again, because I still love it so much, but it does make me a bit sad. Maybe next time, two coats of Seche Vite? Or just realize this can't be a long term wearer, for sure. Sigh.

On to the actual look of the polish. Despite all my problems with it, it's still stunning. I'm pretty sure nothing like this exists elsewhere. In fact, I dare you to find it. The base is a great medium blue that's a bit faded and greyed. Kind of like a less intense, less dark, OPI Dating a Royal. It reminds me of a pair of jeans. Love. The glitter is like little pieces of copper were dropped into the bottle, and amazingly, they show through the blue base REALLY well. The combo makes me think of something ancient (surprise, surprise), like an old piece of faience, perhaps? That's not quite the right coloring, but my mind is drawing a blank here.

You can see the copper really well in the bottle on this one.

Nice, right?

Anyway, I want to give this my seal of approval and say, BUY IT NOW! Which is what I would have said when I just saw it in the bottle/on the other blogs. But now...eh. I still think it's worth it because, look at it. But just be forewarned. Of course, I haven't heard such bad reports from other bloggers, so maybe it really is just me. In that case, buy away.

5 comments:

  1. The color is pretty, but if it doesn't apply well then that's that. Thank you for your hoest opinion and not hyping it up like other bloggers did if you didn't find the polish to be to your liking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do recall seeing a lot of comments on other blogs about the polish being really thick - I don't know if thinning it would help or not. But I cannot understand how it could possibly chip during the folding of towels, that's clearly in the formula and not the wearer.
    However it is gorgeous.
    Good luck on your test! I hope you're just having jitters and everything goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, you will do fine on the GRE. The essay part is super fun. Math is less fun, but was semi-doable even for me (and you know how I am when it comes to the maths). Second, that blows about Barielle. There are a couple colors from that collection that I was interested in, too. I kind of think that bloggers are hesitant to point out problems with it because it's a blogger collection, but that's just a guess.

    Also, I miss you. A ton. A gigantic amount. Please let's somehow see each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love that color! good luck on the GRE, i should be taking mine soon too. You'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AWESOME color... I want it now!!!!
    Good luck on the GRE tomorrow... you're gonna do great.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!