Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Feeling Kind of Blue

It's a cool, rainy fall day, I've been up since 5 in the morning, I'm done with work, I'm wearing my candy corn pajama pants, and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow Wishbone episode is on. Um...that adds up to win. Except the 5 in the morning thing. 3 hours of sleep does not do a body good. Lookit this cuteness.

Love it.

Today I have my sad version of a gradation manicure to show you. The other day I was going through really old posts on The Nailphile and I saw she had done one. Then, serendipitously, Michelle at All Lacquered Up posted one just a couple days ago. I decided to give it a try. I was in a blue mood so I chose two blues. For the darker color I used LA Girl Disco Brites Dance Studio, a polish I raved about here, and for the lighter color I used Essie Sag Harbor from the spring 2009 collection. I mixed three separate colors for this because I'm silly and evidently like to belabor things. A better way to do it would be to just progressively add more of the lighter color to a nice puddle of the darker one. Next time I'll do that. Overcast here again, so no sun. Sorry :(


I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. I think next time I'd like the gradations to be less subtle. People did notice, though, and I got a few compliments. I kind of like that shade of blue on my middle finger. It kind of turned out to be a cornflower type color. Anyway, the thumb and pinky are solid Dance Studio and Sag Harbor, respectively. The pointer finger is three drops Dance Studio, one drop Sag Harbor; the middle finger is an equal ratio; the ring finger is three Drops Sag Harbor, one drop Dance Studio. Easy enough, right? I think I like this so much because, with the Sag Harbor added, all of the blended colors took on kind of a muted and dusty tone.

That's all for today.

6 comments:

  1. I love that effect, I am going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The color on you middle finger is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving this manicure. Hope your feeling more in the "pink" soon. Candy corn pj's sound good. Hope you get some more sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys need to try a manicure like this! It's really easy and fun.

    Thanks Lucy :) I slept for quite a while last night so I'm feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, let me just ask you the questions I've been thinking, and have you most likely laugh at me. A: where do you put these drops? Like, what container are you mixing in? B: what do you brush with? I feel like the contamination of colors on the brush would freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did my mixing on the underside of a Tupperware container so I could just wipe off the unused polish when I was done. I thought that an egg carton would be good too (sans eggs, of course...). As for the brush, I used the one from the dark color, dipped it in acetone and wiped it off between coats. I mixed with toothpicks. Are you going to try a manicure like this? Post your results! I kind of want to do another one with Miami Beet and Fiji.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!