Monday, September 14, 2009

Lubu Heels: The Next Best Thing?

The next best thing? Not so much. Like many women even slightly interested in fashion it is one of my dreams to own a pair of Christian Louboutin heels. Do I even have to explain? A couple years ago China Glaze released Ruby Pumps, red glitter suspended in red polish, along with Lubu Heels, red glitter suspended in black jelly polish. The point of releasing these together was so one could perform a "Louboutin manicure," painting the top of the nail with Lubu Heels and the underside with Ruby Pumps, thereby mimicking the famous red soles of Louboutins. From what I understand the look originated in London. Crazy Brits. In case you live under a rock and haven't seen any celebrities or fabulous people wearing Louboutins, here's a picture of some really simple yet gorgeous ones.

And here's one of our favorite crazy celebrity fashionistas, SJP, rocking a pair of pretty cool, albeit slightly 80s-looking, Louboutin boots.

On my last trip to Sally's I picked up Lubu Heels. I couldn't resist it. Naming something after a pair of gorgeous shoes is a great way to get me to buy it (although I've never been interested in Ruby Pumps). Last night I decided that I wanted something dark and vampy on my nails. I looked through my "must wear" box and picked out Lubu Heels. I had read that the color is kind of sheer so I thought I would use one coat of Rimmel London Black Satin as a base. To that I added two coats of Lubu Heels and Seche Vite. It took forever to dry. In fact, it never fully dried. I dented my nails like eight times and I was getting fed up so I just took it all off. I started over again with just Lubu Heels. The first coat was definitely sheer, but with the second I achieved bottle color. I don't see why people were complaining about the sheerness of the color. Most colors are sheer on the first coat. Get over it.

I'm still not in love with this color. It's nice, but I'm not really giving it a rave review. I think it's just that the glitter isn't prominent enough indoors or in the shade, which is to be expected. Here it is, first in the shade and then in the sun.


The glitter really could be more prominent in the sunlight too. I don't know, it's just not my favorite. Also, I did this last night, probably around 8pm or so, and it's already chipping. That drives me crazy. I'll probably have to paint my nails again when I get home tonight. Hopefully I won't pick at the chips all day. I think this would be a nice alternative to black for a night out, kind of like OPI Lincoln Park After Dark. Maybe it'll grow on me today, we'll see. I did take a picture of my thumb and the bottle.

I think the glitter shows up better in this image. Maybe I wouldn't be so irritated with this polish if I hadn't initially started with a coat of black, so that's my fault. This kind of looks like a Betsy polish of yesteryear. She used to be really into dark glitters. I do love the vamps, though, so maybe I'll like this better as I stare at it throughout the day.

1 comment:

  1. Not really liking it. But I would totally buy it for the name! <3 you!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!