Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Start Wearing Purple

Good morning, Internet! I'm anticipating having a good week so hopefully the power of positive blogging will help out with that. I'm not sure where Betsy has gone off to. I'm saddened and ashamed to say that I haven't talked to her in over a week. Oh well. I'm just going to keep entertaining you [and myself] until she resurfaces, since I'm sure she's busy being a real person :D If she were around I would tell her that last night I started watching Pushing Daisies and that I think it's astonishingly clever and cute. Oh, and that now I know where her love of Lee Pace comes from.

My nails this weekend were inspired by one of my favorite websites, ModCloth, as well as one of my favorite bands, Gogol Bordello. ModCloth is a purveyor of cute, indie and vintage clothes. It's ridiculously expensive and I've only gotten a couple things from there, mostly cheap-ish jewelry. The other day they added a new top, the Start Wearing Purple top.

It's cute, but I was most excited about it because it's named after one of my favorite bands' most well-known songs. Gogol Bordello is a Ukrainian gypsy punk band and you can (and should) find out more about them here. For the record, I don't think I would ever wear this. It would make my hips look huge and I'm already pretty self-conscious about my slightly ridiculous hourglass. That having been said, I think it would look adorable on, say, my gloriously fashionable friend Angela.

After seeing this top on ModCloth I decided that I must have purple nails. I actually think the color I chose is pretty on trend since a lot of polish companies seem to be putting out berry colored cremes and purples--OPI Pamplona Purple comes to mind. I chose L'Oreal Paris Purple Pop, which was part of the Blooming Brights collection. This collection might still be available in some stores, I'm not sure. It was definitely ubiquitous this summer. Anyway, Purple Pop is a really nice medium purple creme. I had filed my nails all the way down over the weekend and I think the color looks nice this way. I don't think I've ever worn a purple like this before. I don't own many purples, actually. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked it. I'm sticking Purple Pop in my Fall Polish Arsenal, which right now only consists of a couple shades: Orly Enchanted Forest (which you'll see soon!), OPI Miami Beet from spring 2009, OPI Baguette Me Not and Crepes Suziette, both from fall 2008 and Essie Chinchilly from fall 2009. I feel like I'll come back to these colors often in the coming months. So here's Purple Pop, first in the shade, bringing out the blue tones.

And here she is in the sun, which seems to have pulled out the red tones. The real color is somewhere between these two pictures.

I really love this color. I think a shade like this is great for transitioning seasons from summer to autumn. If you can still find it in drug stores then I recommend it. The manicure above was one coat of Seche Crystal Clear, two coats of Purple Pop, and one coat of Seche Vite. The formula on this was alright, a little thick. It was better than some of the other colors in this collection that I've tried (I'm talking to you, Electric Blue) but it didn't wow me. I'll definitely be wearing this one again regardless of application issues.

Ah, fall. I can't wait for your arrival. I love September because all of my tv comes back. America's Next Top Model is starting TOMORROW. Dollhouse is coming back the 25th. Project Runway and Mad Men have already come back to me. Angela turned me on to the Rachel Zoe Project, and although ridiculous it is nonetheless entertaining. It's so nice to have frivolous little things to look forward to :D

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the shout-out boo! i'm painting my nails purple today, inspired by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I = FAIL. But I love this post. Oh Gogol Bordello, why are you so amazing. Also, I'm sorry I redisappeared. I miss you tons. I talked about Buffy and Harper's Island today at work, but it's nowhere near as fun without you.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!