Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Betsy's Wearing Pink -- And It's No Accident!

Once again, I'm totally behind. But to make up for it, two swatches! The weather all last week was sad, cold, grey, and rainy. Which I love, but also means I've been in the lab FOREVER since we can't really work outside when it's raining. But on the upside, I did my nails in the middle of the week last week, as well as my usual weekend painting. Here we go!

The reason I have titled this post as such is twofold. One, I basically never wear pink. I don't think I own any pink polish, and for the most part I don't wear girly polish. But for some reason, I've been really drawn to the recent surge of bright pinks tinged blue. The one I bought is OPI's Ate Berries in the Canaries. I was pretty underwhelmed by the collection, and even polishes that I initially thought I would love kind of lost me after repeated viewings. But I bought this on a whim, and I'm pretty glad I did. Reason Two, I was in an accident last week. Nothing major, no worries. Not a nail was chipped. But I thought it was funny that my job has me so well trained that literally before I did anything else, before I called the cops or my dad to be like "HOLY HELL WHAT DO I DO?!" I called work to let them know I would be late. Who is whipped? Yes, moi.

Application: kind of gross -- it's uber runny. But I was a little heavy handed with my second coat, and everything turned out fine. Those issues aside, I rather surprisingly love this color. Like, I was worried it might be way too much for me, but in all the drab fall weather, it was a nice unexpected punch of color. My only reservation is that I would probably prefer it once I lose my tan. I've been too trained to associate a bring pink/tan pairing with old ladies in Miami, so I think I'll probably like it even more against my usually pale skin.

Pictures!




These were taken during the aforementioned grey week, so I had to take these inside in our crappy bathroom light, since it basically looked like dusk like all day long.

The second batch of pictures is a nice color with DREADFUL application. Maybelline Express Finish 50 Second Teal Appeal. I don't know why I never learn. I always have terrible luck with Maybelline, or at least their 50 Second stuff. It always needs 80 watery coats, and I just end up getting pissed off. Plus, it's like $5, right? I'll deal with Sinful Colors being wonky sometimes because it's $2, so it's worth it. But 5 bucks isn't reduced enough from good polish. And yet, I have like 5 (uncooperative) bottles of this brand. Why do I never learn?




Anyway, this is three coats and I could still see the nail line, plus the polish is bordering on foil territory, so all the brush streaks were visible. Bleh. But all this whining aside, what a lovely color. It's a great aqua/teal, with shimmer that just brightens the polish even further. It's part of what I assume is Maybelline's attempt at a fall line, with a berry and a gunmetal grey that seem pretty on point, but not really trendy. Does that make sense? Kind of like how things get filtered down to the department stores of the Midwest a few years after and a little less fabulous than the original incarnations. Anyway, this color popped, both in the collection and on the nail. But really, the polish is such a giant pain in the ass, I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Right now I'm wearing Enchanted Forest (which I won't post since Steff already did), and I'm loving it.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you could try to franken the maybelline polish? It is a great color; but if it is a pain then you will never want to wear it!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!