Friday, October 16, 2009

A Horse With No Name

Happy Friday everybody! I finally got around to scrubbing off my glitter polish today. It wasn't too hard. I soaked a few cotton balls in pure acetone and then let them sit on my nails for like 30 seconds or so. After that it came off semi-easily. Anyway, yesterday I went to the mall in search of a cardigan that my friend Angela showed me. Although I liked it online I didn't like it in person as much. The trip wasn't a total loss, though, because I picked up a nail polish from Hot Topic. I've never used any sort of Hot Topic cosmetics but I didn't have high hopes. I was immediately attracted to the color, which doesn't have a name as far as I know. I checked the website and couldn't find it. It can look blue, purple, green or gray depending on what light you're in. Of course my pictures can't really accurately capture the effect, as usual. Here are a few by a natural light source.



And here's one a little further away from the window.

You can sort of see the pink/purple flash in this last picture. It's a pretty cool polish, right? As for the polish itself...it's kind of terrible. This is four very thin coats. On the first and second coats I was leaving bald patches all over the place and I was getting quickly pissed off. The third coat started to even everything out, and after the fourth coat everything was fine. I've read that some people have trouble with the bottle, which is kind of tall and skinny with a really wide lip. The brush is also long. I didn't have too much trouble because I think it's really similar to the Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear bottles. The cap, though, was problematic. It's flat and kind of like a regular bottle cap, which made it hard to grip. With a little practice I think it would be okay. To conclude, the polish is a pain in the ass. Plus it's kind of annoying that it has no name. What can you really expect for $2.99? I really like the color, though. It's a little understated without being boring.

So, if you guys could name this polish what would you call it?

3 comments:

  1. It's a nice color; it's a shame that it is a pain to apply!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always want to try these polishes. One of these days I might. Pretty shade on you. I have a hard time with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri's. The Xtreme's don't give me a problem. Maybe I could handle this bottle. I hate when I get bald patches. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely! I couldn't get a decent picture of the metallic-y finish, and it just kept coming out blue! lol. But this is the color. I hate that they don't have names on them! =(

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!