Monday, November 09, 2009

Bordeaux: Boring?

Good morning, lovelies! It's a beautifully gloomy fall day and I'm watching my cat, Raven, look wistfully out the window at the birds as I sip from an absolutely giant cup of coffee. Ah, I love morning.

On Friday after work I decided that to ring in the weekend I would get a manicure. My nails were getting longer than I wanted them to be and my cuticles were out of control. I went to a little place that my friends and I used to go to in high school and it was still just the same. Same layout, same prices, everything. Kind of comforting, in its way. Anyway, when I first got there I saw a tiny (and I mean TINY) collection of China Glaze. You see, I was planning on bringing Wagon Trail with me again, but I was rushing out the door so I forgot it. I was hoping that maybe they had it there. They didn't. I asked one of the women who worked there if maybe they had more China Glaze, but she brushed off my question and kept telling me how awesome OPI is. Meh. Although OPI has redeemed itself a little bit from Espana, but I'll get to that in a minute. At first I chose OPI Have You Seen My Limo?, kind of a smoky purple (though I haven't seen many swatches of it) but when it came time for the painting, I balked and decided to chose another in a hurry. I impulsively chose a new OPI color from the Holiday Wishes collection, All A-Bordeaux the Sled. I wanted a dark color on my newly shortened nails, because as the name of my blog will tell you, I believe that dark colors on short nails are just so chic.

The couple bloggers who have reviewed the Holiday Wishes collection have said the same things about All A-Bordeaux the Sled: "straightforward," "not exciting," that type of thing. I have to say that when I checked out swatches, I thought the same thing. As soon as I had the color on my nails, though, I changed my mind. I love this color. I am kicking myself for not buying it when Ulta had a buy 2 OPI, get 1 OPI polish plus OPI topcoat (blech) for free. As the name of the polish suggests, All A-Bordeaux the Sled is a dark, vampy, wine-colored shade. To my eye and in most lights it's more brown than red. It's a couple shades darker than my beloved Can You Tapas This? from this fall. Pictures can't really capture the color. It looks dull in them.



The sun in that last picture did a good job of picking out the red tones. I can't tell you how in love with this I am. Like, I need it. I know most of you will be kind of meh about it, but this is my favorite type of color. As Betsy could tell you, I probably have about 20 dark, vampy, wine-colored reds in my stash. This is their new queen, though. This is the third day after the manicure and I have no chips, no tipwear, and I'm not yet sick of the color. Win.

I don't know how you guys felt about Espana, but for me it was a big snore. Too many cool toned berry shades. I have a couple from that collection...three, I think. Can You Tapas This? was a win for me, and I admit that. Anyway, the Holiday Wishes collection redeems OPI, at least to me. I have three from that collection already: Holiday Glow, Merry Midnight, and Shim-Merry Chic. I'm going back to Ulta soon to pick up All A-Bordeaux the Sled. I also need to see if I can find Grand Central Carnation for my mama. She got a manicure with it this weekend and fell in love.

Has anyone else picked up anything from Holiday Wishes? Thoughts, feelings, concerns?

3 comments:

  1. I agree that Holiday Wishes is one of the best recent collections that OPI has put out. I got Merry Midnight and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried Merry Midnight yet; I'm waiting for a sunny day. I've heard great things about it, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't order any OPI Espana Collection. I will order may 3 or 4 of the holiday collection

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!