Thursday, November 12, 2009

Gilded, Gilded, Gold...

Good morning, everyone! I did my nails last night while I was watching ANTM (which was awesome, by the way). I decided on one of the Wet n Wild Craze polishes that I got from Niki over at MagicMaid. I'm not sure what made me pick Goldmine. I never wear gold because I think it looks bad with my skin tone. But you know what? I kind of like it.



Obviously I'm by a window in the first two pictures and I'm just in normal indoor lighting in the third. What do you think? I was trying to think of something to compare this color to. A gold brick? Yeah, but that's too obvious. A piece of clothing I have? I don't have anything gold. But then I got it, because I'm a TOTAL NERD.

Cimabue's Madonna and Child Enthroned with Angels! In Byzantine and Medieval art gold leaf was used pretty often in paintings as a marker of value. That trend went away when the skill of the artist started to transcend the value of the material used. But anyway, I think the gold in the background and on the halos is a pretty good match. I'm pretty sure I got this picture from the Louvre website. I used to stand in front of this painting every time I went to the Louvre last year (once a week at least). Beautiful, isn't it? *sigh*

Anyway, what do you guys think about gold nail polish? Maybe it's an acquired taste. Does anyone have Chanel Gold Fiction? I remember that one was like $30 because evidently it has special fancy ingredients or something. I think this $1.99 Wet n Wild is a good substitute. Oh, by the way, I used three coats in the above pictures. Two coats left me with some VNL, which I dislike. It looks nice with three, and it's not brushstrokey. Just nice and smooth and shimmery. Yay!

5 comments:

  1. AWW!!! I love the title. *tear nostalgia! Oh Versailles... And I love the polish! Might have to get some wet n wild today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to pick this up, I just can't say not to gold and silver polishes! This looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Gold Fiction is a bit lighter and less orangey (said she, who has neither Goldmine nor Gold Fiction...). But I really wanted to say that I LOVE that comparison w/ the gold leaf! It's the perfect imagery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! And dearest Glitterati, the quickest way to my heart is to compliment my art comparisons ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!