Saturday, December 26, 2009

Braving Holiday Shoppers at...Wal-Mart

It's the day after Christmas and I am relieved. Don't get me wrong; I love the entire month of December because of all the Christmas shit going on. But the day itself? Not so much. This year was hard because it was the first Christmas my grandpa wasn't here. He died in April. The day was hectic and unpleasant. We did see Sherlock Holmes, though, and that was awesome. Now it's all over and I can breathe a sigh of relief. And paint my nails.

First I'll show you my nails from yesterday. I used two Sinful Colors, Gogo Girl, a bright retro-red, and the ever-present San Francisco, a green that looks like it was made for the holidays.


Not great pictures or a great manicure, but it was a rush job. And welcome to my Santa sock.

To continue on with the theme, I thought I'd post a picture of our Christmas tree. Boyfriend and I drove out to the middle of nowhere to cut down our own. The farm was on a road called "Nickelplate Diagonal Road" and was in fucking BFE. When we got there all the trees for "cut your own!" were short. I mean, really short. About as tall as I am. We ended up having to buy one off their lot. The old man selling [robbing] me the tree said they cut down all the tall ones to sell in the lot...$60. Ugh. But it's a nice tree.

I even made some popcorn and cranberry strands for it.

Two of our favorite ornaments. You can't go wrong with a booze-laden tree.

Our Peanuts skaters. They all move. It's really cute. I look forward to putting this out every year.

This morning as soon as I woke up I changed my polish. The other day when Boyfriend and I were driving back from his parents' we stopped in an area I've never been before that had a ton of shopping. Where did we end up going? Wal-Mart. I am a Target girl; there's just something about Wal-Mart, to me, that's...ew. And I don't mean to offend any of you Wal-Mart lovers out there. It's just not for me. That having been said, we did get my dad a really nice new teapot. And before we left, I just wanted to take a little walk by the cosmetics to see if they had the new Hard Candy stuff. The Wal-Mart by my house doesn't have it. Lo and behold, there the Hard Candy polishes were. I wanted several of them, but for $5 I decided I would just choose one. And here he is.

Natural light

Blurred a little...lookit that sparkle

Bottle

Ladies, meet Mr. Wrong. None of these pictures are great; I suspect I'd need sunlight to capture the color at all. The overall effect of this polish on the nail is kind of a glitter fusion. I see gold, gray, maybe a muted purple? I don't know. I think if Opulent Cloud, which I posted on here, was a glitter instead of a shimmer, it would look like this. BY THE BY, once we reach 50 followers, which I'm hoping will be soon, I will be doing a giveaway featuring Opulent Cloud. I know finding Tracy Reese polishes in the drugstore is like finding a unicorn giving birth, so I picked up an extra bottle for my giveaway. Stay tuned.

Anyway, the formula on this guy was horrid. It was thick and left bald spots. As I type this my nails still aren't dry. I love the color, though. My biggest complaint? $5 for a mini. From Wal-Mart. Come ON. That's way too much!

Alright, I hope everyone had a nice holiday and that you all spend today relaxin' and blog-readin'. I know I will be. Oh, and eating Chipotle because I got me a giftcard! Thanks dad!

6 comments:

  1. 5$ for a mini from Wal-Mart is why I'm boycotting these. Apparently, Hard Candy thinks they're still the HC from my teen years. I've got enough of the old ones to hold me over until they realize that they are crazy, and price them for where they're selling them. If I have to endure seeing bubba and his "overhauls" with no shirt under (then what are they "over"?) just to get the polish, I demand a wal-mart-esque price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big Walmart fan myself, but I picked up a couple of the HC polishes and they aren't terrible, but they aren't worth the $10 I spent on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Mr. Wrong is a good choice if you could only get one from the whole line, so good going! And yea, I know what you mean about wal-mart, although I still brave going there because a.) I'm a die-hard people watcher and b.) I'm poor. But if you have an iron stomach, I recommend checking out www.peopleofwalmart.com it's extremely funny, and kind of saddening to know these people actually exist! haha.

    Ginger Midgets! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ange-Marie, I totally don't blame you for boycotting. If I was smart I would too. Unfortunately I still want another one, which I think is called Lava. If the formula on Mr. Wrong is indicative of the formula of all the others, though, I guess I wouldn't be sad if I missed it. I think $2.50 would be a good price for these babies.

    gildedangel, which ones did you get? I don't remember seeing any on your blog, but perhaps I'm just being forgetful.

    kelsea! I'm poor too. I just choose to be poor at Target. I do not have an iron stomach, but I'm about to check out the site you recommended. Ginger midget, ahoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. peopleofwalmart.com has been one of my fav cheer me up sites for a while.
    and honestly, if I get to craving hardcandy polish, I can always find STEALS of old HC on ebay. I just got a set of 6 minis w original jellyrings, still shrinkwrapped in a special tin... for 12$. I have a love hate with ebay...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't shop at Walmart. No thanks. Too much money for a mini.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!