Hello, darling readers! I hope everyone is having a nice Monday. This is going to be my last reminder to enter my GIVEAWAY by clicking on the picture at the top of the righthand sidebar. You have until midnight EST tonight to enter. I'll announce a winner tomorrow afternoon, so check back :)
The other day Nicole over at Magic Maid posted a Nina Ultra Pro color from some new velvet-themed collection. It was an insta-lemming for me. A lemming at first sight. It lemming-ed me at hello. It's called Velveteen Rabbit and it's a gold foil-looking shimmer. I went out to Sally's like, immediately and picked it up for I believe $3.29. When I actually had it in my hot little hands I thought it might be a dupe for WetnWild Craze Shield.
They do look different in the bottles, but I think that might be a weird reflection on the Shield bottle.
Shield on my middle finger and Velveteen Rabbit on my index and ring fingers.
Welcome to my reindeer pajamas.
They're actually pretty close. There are a couple big differences. First, I think Shield has some copper particles in it that makes it appear darker. Second, the formula on these is hugely different; here I used one coat (!) of Velveteen Rabbit and three of Shield. Despite that, these guys are still pretty similar.
Here they are again.
This is just Velveteen Rabbit, two coats, one coat Seche Vite. I used two coats because one looked patchy on some nails, but it ended up looking like I was wearing too much polish. Despite that, it didn't dent and it still lasted a few days.
I really, really like this. I'm glad I got it. If you like golds, pick this up. I also really dig the name. When I was little The Velveteen Rabbit was one of my favorite books. Do you guys remember the story? Let me synopsize it really quickly: a little boy gets a velveteen rabbit, loves it, then gets scarlet fever. The doctor orders that the plush toys be burned because they're all germ-ridden and stuff. The rabbit knows this and gets sad; he cries a real tear...and then he becomes a real rabbit! It's one of those stories that makes me feel like crying. It's a well-known fact that if someone mentions Dumbo and his mom I burst into tears almost immediately. This has a similar effect. I mean, look at this cute little guy.
HE WANTS YOU TO LOVE HIM, SCARLET FEVER OR NO.
I was tagged by one of my favorite ladies, Kelsea, over at kelsealaurel. Thanks boo! Bets, you were tagged too.
I think I'm supposed to tell you ten things about myself, which will probably be difficult. Here it goes, though.
**Edit: Apparently these were supposed to be ten things that make me happy. They all do, in a way!
1. I dislike all things that taste too watery. Let me explain. I don't like tea, I don't like cucumber, I don't like melon (no, not even watermelon). I have been this way ever since I can remember. Recently, though, I got the bright idea to put about half a packet of Splenda and some half and half in green tea. Voila! Much less disgusting. I do, in fact, look forward to my green tea dessert nightly.
2. My cat, Raven, is obsessed with water. When he was a baby Boyfriend and I got him from this jankity-ass pet store on the south side of Chicago. They were keeping him with his sister in a small birdcage with no water. When we took him home he drank and drank. For minutes on end. Now he demands fresh water at least three times a day. Really. He goes down to his bowl and cries until someone changes the water. He even contaminates it himself to try to get you to change it. He picks things up off the floor and puts them in his bowl. His favorite game is bat-the-toy-into-the-water. Here he is as a baby. How could anyone keep him in a birdcage without water? :(
3. I'd say I have a pretty eclectic taste in music. I will not say that I "like a little bit of everything" because I kind of hate it when people say that. For example, I do not enjoy Gregorian chants or like Tibetan throat singing. One of my favorite bands, though, is a Ukrainian gypsy punk band, Gogol Bordello. I've seen them either three or four times, I can't remember which. Once I even got stuck in a mosh pit of sorts. I left that concert with bruised ribs and someone else's blood on my pant leg. Not an experience I'd like to repeat. We sat in the balcony at their next concert.
4. I like bad television. I mean, really bad television. I watch things like Keeping Up With the Kardashians, Jon and Kate Plus Eight, The Real Housewives of ANYTHING (especially Jersey) and Eighteen Kids and Counting. I love watching bad reality shows about dysfunctional families. I'm sorry. My name is Stephanie, and I have a problem.
5. I also like good television. My favorite show that's still airing is probably Mad Men. I await August and season 4 with bated breath. I love Joss Whedon, if you hadn't noticed...Buffy, Dollhouse, Firefly and Dr. Horrible make me happy.
6. My boyfriend and I have been together for about six years. We have only lived near each other for two of those years. He joined the Air Force right after we first started talking, spent two years in Tokyo and then two in Tacoma, WA. I visited him in Tacoma, he spent Christmases with me in Ohio (he's originally from this area). Then he did the sweetest thing ever and drove all his stuff across the country to live with me (and two of my friends, Betsy and Angela) in Chicago. Now he's in Chicago (still) and I'm back in Ohio. We see each other when we can. I love him more now than I did six years ago.
7. Fall and winter are my favorite seasons. I love snow, just not driving in it. Seeing spring stuff come out actually makes me sad.
8. I'm a barista. Up until recently I worked at a coffee shop about .4 miles away from my house, which was pretty convenient. But then some things happened, some checks bounced (no, really) and I got a new job at a start-up shop. We're not open yet. I make a mean latte. Trust me.
9. I am also a caffeine addict. If I don't have at least a Diet Coke in the morning my head will be aching by about 11am. When I used to open the coffee shop in the morning I had to be there by 5:30. That meant getting up at 4:30. As soon as the espresso machine warmed up I was pounding Red Eyes (shots of espresso mixed with drip coffee). I've weened myself off of the hard stuff, but I still need at least one large cup in the morning to get me going.
10. I like to wear dresses whenever I can. I have too many to count from H&M. People always ask me what I'm all dressed up for, which always irritates me. It's just how I dress. Deal.
Now I'm supposed to tag people, but I'd bet most people have already been tagged. I do want to tag Angelina's Cafe and Scandalously Polished. Otherwise...just do it if you want to, because I love you all!
K, make sure to enter my GIVEAWAY if you haven't. Thanks for reading!