There is so much. Too much. Dear god. Good luck staying with me to the end of this sucker!
I have pictures of a bunch of random wonderfulness I bought this last week. But first! Heads up, I'll be doing my giveaway starting next week. So....come back then? Well, come back before then too. But also then, for directions.
Ok, so there's this new little second hand type shop in town, and I stopped in expecting to find some cheap costume jewelry. Instead, I found the best buy ever. Two BabySitters Club books, one of which I've already read and loved, and oh my god Claudia Kishi. Guys, here is the first outfit she's wearing exactly as she lovingly describes it: "Today, for instance, I'm wearing purple pants that stop just below my knees and are held up with suspenders, white tights with clocks on them, a purple-plaid shirt with a matching hat, my high-top sneakers, and lobster earrings. Clothes like these are my trademark." I think I just peed a little bit I'm so happy. Claudia Kishi, you are a junk food fanatic and an insane dresser. You are my hero.
Oh what's that other thing in the picture, you ask? Oh, just Joey "WHOA" Lawrence's ALBUM. Did you know he had one? Because I had no idea, and it made my day. I may or may not have squealed, and then run giddily from the store, CD firmly clutched in hand. Guys, seriously. SERIOUSLY. LOOK AT THIS INSANITY!
Hilarious! Joey, who the HELL are you kidding? You may be from Philly and all, but you are not this tough. This whole thing is hysterical, plus totally 90s with the music and lyrics and the pants dear god the pants. So basically, new favorite CD ever? Yeah.
Please lord watch the video. You will not be sorry. Fake fly girls. I repeat: fake fly girls.
Now, to the slightly more serious matter of nail polish. I went a wee bit crazy. It felt good. First, drugstore haul. My Walgreens must be crazy ass behind, because they JUST got in SH Opulent Cloud. I know this because I am there all the time, and there was a brand new display that was at most 2-3 weeks old. So basically, I may be all about this crazy new stuff, and you may think "Bitch is crazy, I've had that for months." If so, sorry, I apparently live in a black hole of cosmetics. It must be so hard to get stuff to us, what with being across a whole RIVER from St. Louis. And there are only like 8 bridges that connect us. Must be the only option is carrier pigeon. No wonder it takes so long; little guys are tired. Nail polish is rather heavy.
So, L to R: Rimmel Steel Grey, SH Opulent Cloud, SH Wet Cement, SH Mint Sprint, SH Lickety-Split Lime
New (new?) Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure, which is much more expensive than the usual:
Commander in Chic, Fairy Teal, Thinking of Blue, and Plum Luck. One other not pictured here will be the focus of swatches, Gray by Gray.
Then a mall run for some Icing polish, which was buy one get one half off (as was SH at Walgreens). I haven't used Icing brand yet, but the bottles look almost exactly like CG, which I see confusing me in the future. Nevertheless, they have some really really good looking polishes, which surprised me, but I highly recommend checking it out.
I picked up some random creme (and a neon) lusciousness because I can never say no.
Lucky Luis, Marine Blue, My Blue Heaven, Ice Queen
Also, I got one of their "special edition" which sadly doesn't have names for the polishes anywhere, so these are all really pretty shimmers with no names. But at least now they have a home. The special editions are a wee bit smaller, but pretty great looking. Can't wait!
Edit: Steff just reminded me she already posted half of these. Whoops! Well, lovely colors anyway.
And now for today's swatches. This is that missing SH, Gray by Gray. Okay, let me start by saying, if you haven't used the new SH yet, it's an adjustment. Check the brush:
I actually really love it. It's really stiff, so painting big ass nails (hello Mr. Thumb) took longer than usual without the normal fanning of bristles. But to make up for that, the brush is tapered, which made me much less messy around the cuticles. I felt like I could get up closer without spreading polish all over my fingers like I usually do. I am sometimes tempted to include a pre clean up pic for you guys so you can see how much it looks like a blindfolded 3 year old hopped up on too much Kool-Aid painted my nails for me. So, any way I can avoid that, I'm all for it. So I love the brush. It looks similar to the SH Insta-Dri brushes, but maybe a smidgen different?
Check out the brush (P.S. How tired are you of seeing my kitchen counter in the back of these photos? I know I am!)
The polish on this one at least was like BUTTAH. Maybe this is because it's supposed to have top and bottom coat mixed in, so it's like uber smooth. Or maybe it's just really good formula. Either way, the formula was thick, but in a good way. Applied well without blurring all over the place, very rich pigmentation, and it just felt smoother, you know? Maybe I've been using too many glitters lately and that's what I'm feeling, but I kind of want to say no, this polish is pretty kicking. Also, this probably would have been okay as a one coater, but for safety as I applied in a dim room while giggling at The Soup, I went for two. Wear time was also crazy good for this, with just a little tipwear after 4 days. So yeah, I'm pretty happy.
The color is super blueish. I mean, it's obviously grey as well, but it's more greyish blue than blueish grey -- meaning, it's more blue than grey. It's still a really great color, and I got mucho compliments on it. But in my quest for a true grey polish, it falls flat.
Here I have a comparison with the bottles of U-Concrete Me and Slate of Affairs, with then without flash. It falls rather in the middle of the two. It still isn't that shark grey I covet, but it's marvelous.
Ok, so remember that thing that went around like a week ago? I'm finally getting my ass around to doing it. So, without further ado, here's my list of 10 things that makes me happy.
1. Music! As Steff wisely pointed out, I don't pretend to like everything. But I do like a variety of stuff, although some of my favorites include Eastern European influences -- DeVotchKa, Gogol Bordello, Beirut to a lesser extent. But I also just love music. Regina Spektor, My Brightest Diamond, Imogen Heap, Rachael Yamagata, DeLeon...to Bowie or the Sex Pistols. Plus musicals, of course. MUSIC, basically. All the time. LOVE.
2. Accessories. Headbands, necklaces, purses, shoes, etc. I'm an addict. I had a special made headband with a cage veil from an Etsy seller. Guys, that's ridiculous, right? I CAN NOT BE STOPPED!
3. Mah kitteh. She's adorable. She's not as much as a cuddlebug as my last cat, who was the best cat ever. But she's coming around, and her big eyes make it impossible for me to ever feel anything other than the compulsion to hug her. I also totally love/miss Raven, Steff's cat. He never really liked me as much as I liked him, but he let me rub his tummy sometimes, so I love him anyway.
4. Moody weather. For almost a week now, we've had crazy ass fog. Super thick and it lasts basically all day. We never have stuff like this, and with the bit of remaining icy ponds we have left from the last cold blast, everything looks super creepy/like I should be on some fog covered moor. It's perfect weather.
5. Game shows. There was a period in the apartment when we watched GSN for HOURS on end. And we got to know the schedules and the hosts. It was ridiculous. But ridiculousness aside, they're pretty hilarious. Now, I can't watch them all. That suitcase one makes no sense to me. There's no skill! But if there's trivia involved, bring it on. Jeopardy is by far my favorite, but I also really love Cash Cab, and maybe secretly hold some weird pseudo crush on the guy who hosts. Is that weird?
6. Diet Coke. The end.
7. I never thought of myself as a scifi fan, but it seems like more and more, a majority of what I watch is scifi or scifi adjacent. Read: everything Joss Whedon, Doctor Who, Fringe, even to some extent Wonderfalls, although less so there. I just watched miniseries Tin Man over the weekend, which was pretty stellar, and I eagerly await watching Repo: the Genetic Opera. When did I become this person??
8. Collecting things. It's weird, because this love is based entirely on materialism, and blah blah bad Americans, blah blah Marx is spinning in his grave. But I love seeing the collections of things I have. Right now, books and DVDs top that list. I have books literally in every place I can shove them. Bookshelves, computer hutch, under my bed, in my closet...it's insane. And I probably have only read half of them, if that. But I love the possibility of reading them, the potential knowledge they represent. This probably stems from my mom taking me to libraries ever since I was a wee thing. I just love libraries, and so I try to make my own vast collection at home.
9. Sour Patch Watermelons. At some lovely stores you can buy just bags of the watermelons. Steff can attest to how these basically = crack for me. I can't stop eating them, even when my mouth gets all screwed up from the sour sugar. It is a real problem. I haven't let myself eat any for months for fear that I'll backslide and eat pounds. But man are they delicious.
10. In keeping with the food motif: cupcakes. Steff can also attest to this one. I am a cupcake freak. I don't know why, but the growing amount of cupcake eateries has just made me a cupcake fiend. Again, I have to stay away as long as I can or I'll devour the whole store. But they're amazing. The best/worst day was when I found out a local grocery store has DELICIOUS cupcakes, $4 for 6 giant cupcakes. With tons of icing. In my favorite flavor, carrot cake, which I can never get because I'm allergic to nuts and there are ALWAYS nuts. But not in these. These magic magic cupcakes. Oh god I'm drooling. Must stop talking about this. Must leave.