Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mini-Haul of Drugstoreness

It's actually sunny here today. I can't say that I missed it; I love gray skies and what most people would consider terrible weather. I hate it when there's snow on the ground and the sun comes out. Then it melts and there's gross slush. Ew. I'm cooking stuffed peppers today, or as Boyfriend calls them "Steffed Peppers." My house smells like a giant onion. The kitties keep trying to jump onto the counter to sniff everything. Having a day off sure is tiring.

Usually as soon as I chop off my nails I want to use a vampy polish and this time was no exception. I reached for one of my favey-faves, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Flirt. I always notice that there are huge amounts of this polish at the drugstore. For some reason not a lot of people give it love. I think it's gorgeous, though.

In sunlight. Thanks, January.

This is how it normally looks indoors. Excuse the tipwear, please; I've been cooking.

Doesn't it look nice on short nails?

This is definitely one of those "almost black" polishes. Indoors it kind of looks like a super, super dark burgundy. It reminds me of OPI All A-Bordeaux the Sled in that last picture. But its closest OPI cousin is actually Black Cherry Chutney, another one of my all-time faves. If you can catch Flirt in the sunlight, its purple-y-red shimmer shows up and...wow. One day when I was standing in line at the post office wearing this and the guy in front of me complimented it. A guy. Complimenting nail polish. He may have been trying to get in my pants...and in which case...good approach, sir. Good approach. Anyway, this was two coats. The formula on this is dynamite. It wears for a decent amount of time, too. I can't believe I only paid $2.50 for this. Probably less, actually, because the Xtreme Wears always seem to have a BOGO deal at Walgreens.

This morning I woke up and felt terrible. I mean, really, really terrible. I took three tylenol, had a Diet Coke, pounded some zinc, and went to CVS. What else but some good retail therapy can make a girl feel better? Ladies...75% off Milani stuff. Not all of it, but a lot of it.

Four quads and a polish later, here we are. Left to right, my cat, Alley, Earthly Delights, Sedona Sunset, Wild Violets. The polish is Bella Berry, your typical me-shade. Dark, vampy, brownish red.


Not bad, eh? The quads were $1.75 and the polish turned out to be $1.12. The lid on the purple palette is effed, but that's alright. I don't think I'll be carrying it in my purse or anything, and it still snaps on pretty well. I also wanted to share with you guys this list of dupes for high-end make-up. A lot of the dupes are Milani, so get thee to CVS :)

Oh, and I wanted to thank all of you who chimed in on my Urban Decay post yesterday. I think it's true that the Alice Book of Shadows has a lot of similar colors to the Ammo palette. Maybe I just want it because it's Disney? I don't know. What I do know, though, is that you guys are awesome.

Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. Hooray for hauls! That color is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty color! I look dead in vampies :( I just hacked all my nails down also lol. Oh, and C-c-courage will be in the mail tomorrow. Idk how long it'll take to get from the dirty dirty up to snowcity

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vampy dark colours on short nails = my fav! Lovely colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm gonna have to live vicariously through your hauls for a while lol.

    Your comment made me lawl. I love ordering off of teh intarwebz though! I like being able to spend money and sit on my ass simultaneously. Multitasking for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I (Unsurprisingly) have the purple Milani quad, and I LURV it. But if it's on sale, I might buy a backup.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO also, those "random letters" I have to put in to leave a comment just now spelled "catuate" and now I'm picturing:

    http://www.blood-ashes.com/img/CatGradMini.jpg

    HAHA OMG WHY DOES THAT PICTURE EXIST!??!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LMAO I just google searched "cat graduate" and there was a strangely large amount of pictures to choose from!!(but of course that one was by far the best) What is this world coming to??!? Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait, there is a green one among the Milani quad? I though they are mostly brown...

    A comment for your other post, I love the Sally Hansen mint sprint, such a pretty green!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!