Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year's Slay!

Good morning, readers! Happy 2010. It's weird to think another decade has started, isn't it? Maybe we can get away from the stupid trends of the past decade. You know, perpetual leggings, skinny jeans...Lady Gaga? Yesterday Betsy so kindly alerted me that there is a Buffy marathon on LOGO today (one of our favorite channels, also home of RuPaul's Drag Race...starting up again in February!), so I'm sitting on the couch under my favorite blanket, watching it snow (during commercials, of course) and gettin' my Buffy on. Oh Xander Harris, how I've missed you.

Before I get to my nail color, I have to tell you guys that last night I had ostrich for dinner. My parents and I went to this place in Ohio City called Light Bistro. It's one of those really fancy restaurants where the prices are high and the portions are really small. You know...like they bring out these small main courses on a giant white dish. Anyway, they had a lot of yummy-sounding things, but I was feeling adventurous so I ordered the ostrich. I recommend it. Really! It has 40% less fat than beef, and it kind of tastes like it too. Yes, my last meal of 2009 was a large, flightless African bird. Yum.

I'm rather ashamed to say that I'm still going through holiday colors. I still have one from the OPI holiday collection that I haven't tried! Today I chose Essie Lollipop (and I swear my bottle says "Lolipop" but I don't have it right next to me to confirm). I love Essie polishes most of the time. The formula is usually fantastic. The only one I've found recently that applied poorly was Mint Candy Apple. Lollipop was perfect in two coats, but I used three because I still had some VNL. That's to be expected from what I believe is a jelly.

Natural light

With one of my many frilly headbands

Lollipop is a red that leans way orange, at least to my eye. This happens to me all the time with reds: I see them, I think they're uber-boring, I put them on, I fall in love. This even rivals my favorite red, Essie Lacquered Up. I think I tend to like really bright, orange-based reds rather than blue-based ones. Colors like Lollipop really, well, pop against my skin. Like I said, the formula on this is perfect. The only problem I had with this polish was the brush. It was all wonky, with bristles sticking out willy-nilly. I managed, but I think I might have to clip some of the wild hairs eventually if I want to keep using this (and I do). The best part of this polish is that I got it on clearance! For $3.99!

And so I leave you with one of my favorite Buffy quotes: "Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass." --Cordelia Chase

I hope you all have a lazy and pajama-laden holiday!

6 comments:

  1. essie creams are a real handful to put on! I swear, it's nearly impossible. I shall try their jellies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great color! Love the headband, looks like something I would wear. And that's awesome about you working in a lab, especially cancer labs. I'm a little jealous since I work in a damn plant lab lol. Oh, and I'm an expert gel loader myself haha! I kinda like that part just because I really like how wiggly the gel is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THank god!!! I thought I was the only one who found Lady Ga Ga annoying as hell!!!


    Lollipop stole my heart too!

    Come on RuPaul Drag Race!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gildedangel, thanks!

    Angela, I do have a lot of problems with Essie cremes...but I feel like I'm the only one who complained about the application of MCA. I guess I'm too impatient for three coats?

    Kelsea, the headband is from the little girls' section at Claire's. Also, it took me forever to get good at loading gels. All of my coworkers used to make fun of me because I had to use gel-loading tips for a while, but then I finally graduated to pipet tips. Wahoo.

    Brooke, Lady Gaga is...ugh. It's one thing to be an "artist;" it's another thing to never wear pants. I'm getting psyched for Drag Race! I saw commercials for it ALL DAY yesterday. <3 LOGO

    Thanks ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want this color now! I think it would be sweet for Valentine's Day :]

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!