Friday, January 22, 2010

T(art) Deco

Sorry I didn't post yesterday, loves. I wanted Betsy's post to get all the air time it could; plus I had a long and difficult day, so I just decided to leave it for today. I've got Essie Tart Deco for you. Let me reiterate why I love this collection: it's art-themed. "Tart Deco" is definitely the cutest name of all the polishes in the collection. It is, of course, an allusion to art deco, a movement popular in the 20s and 30s. I guarantee you've all seen the most famous example of the art deco style.


The Chrysler Buidling, New York, New York, 1930

So...the polish. Yes, these pictures are color accurate. The polish was WAY darker and more orange on the nail than in the bottle. I'm not sure, but I think my topcoat (Seche Vite) may have affected the color of the polish somehow.

full sunlight

and shade

On my right hand sometimes I don't get the topcoat to go all the way over the nail, so I tried to take a picture of the polish with topcoat and the polish sans topcoat. Sans topcoat it's closer to bottle color; with it, it's much more orange. I don't know if you can tell from this image...

Yeah, you probably can't tell. But really, the little bit by my cuticle, on the left side of my index finger, looks way peachier than the polish covered by Seche Vite. Maybe that's just an illusion? I don't know.

I do like the color, though. It's light enough that I would still classify it as a pastel. The formula on this was PERFECT. It was a little streaky at one coat, but two evened it out amazingly well for such a light color. What else can I say about it? I love it. I have, in fact, declared my love for Essie several times. It was an Essie polish that got me into my polish obsession. I can't wait to try out Van D'go (and if anyone understands that name, tell me. I know it must be a Van Gogh reference, but I don't get it. If the polish was indigo it would make sense... Maybe I'm having a brain fart). Just for funsies...

SweeTarts! What I assume the polish was named after.

Candy hearts, because...they're cute. Also, that orange is pretty spot-on.

[Chrysler images courtesy of http://www.ps116.org/www/r9tech_116M/site/hosting/nysite/chrysler.html and http://theblackcommenter.wordpress.com/2009/04/ respectively]

4 comments:

  1. Awesome color! It looks lovely on you :]
    and 2 coats? That's great, all the essie polishes I've tried are always 3 or more coats.
    I have to get it now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, this is the first swatch I've seen of Tart Deco. I LOVE it. I am going to hunt it down, pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think I swatched Tart Deco on one of my nails when I got it and it surprised me that it was more creme based and brighter than I thought it would be. However, STILL cute and I love the name! I assumed that Van D'Go was totally based on Van Gogh, also. I'm hoping for sun tomorrow, I'd like to get a couple of these swatched myself! Looking forward to your "other orange"!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!