Saturday, January 23, 2010

Van D'What?

Not great pictures or application today, guys. Sorry. I wanted to show you Essie Van D'go, close personal friend to yesterday's Essie Tart Deco. I think Essie describes it as a melon or cantaloupe color, but to me it's almost...a pastel salmon? It's nice. Yesterday I read a post by The Nailphile where she did a review of the whole Essie spring collection. She talked about how terrible she thought the formula was, and I was really surprised. Tart Deco applied really well for me. Van D'go wasn't as good, but I still only did two coats. I probably could have used a third, but that's not a big deal to me. Three coats is usually kind of par for the course with most polishes.

First, here are Van D'go (right) and Tart Deco. As you can see, Tart Deco is significantly more orange. Van D'go it a lot pinker, peachier.

Oh my god, sorry for the bad application. I was messy. Anyway, this is near a window. Like I said, this probably could have used a third coat, but I didn't feel like doing it. I think it still looks fine.

Artificial light. Sorry it's blurry; at least you can get a sense of the color.

On my crazy tie-dye shirt.

I like this one better than Tart Deco. The color is so soft...yet it's quite stark. It really is beautiful. But...I still don't understand the name. Van D'go. It's a Van Gogh reference...but...I don't understand. I said yesterday I would understand if the color was indigo, because that at least works. I'm still lost on this reference, though. Just for fun, here's my favorite Van Gogh.

KIND OF CLICHE, I know. Sunflowers, 1888

When I was twelve my mom took me to the National Gallery in London. When I saw this painting in real life I knew that I wanted to study art for the rest of my life. I still want to, but it's a feat trying to figure out how to do it...

Okay, sorry for the quick 'n dirty post, but I wanted to get this color up since people seemed interested. Have a great weekend :)

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your swatches! It shows up on me just a bit closer to my skin tone, I think - but I love it. It's such a pretty color. I didn't really have a problem with the formula on these either! That's funny. I was just thinking that for cream pastels, mostly, they applied quite well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love both of them! I can only justify one though. Which one did you end up liking better? (you may have said that somewhere in the post but I'm about to run out to go to class so I didn't have time to read it all!)

    And I'm sad you will not be around for a while =( I will miss you!!!

    Have fun and good luck with whatever you're doing!

    ~Kelsea

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!