Saturday, February 20, 2010

No Bueno, Ill-uh-mask-uh

Last night I decided to use Phallic, the other polish I got in my package from Ange-Marie. It's a deep navy with a really pretty blue sparkle to it. I did my manicure in the bathroom, where I usually do it, and by the light of my bathroom lightbulbs, the polish looked fine at two coats. I was quite enamored of the color, actually; a deep, dark navy blue. In the morning when I woke up I stuck my hand is some sunlight and was kind of appalled to see what a streaky mess it looked like.


You can kind of tell that I didn't really get satisfactory coverage. It's a pretty color, but for the price and its high end-ness I kind of figured that it would apply better. I don't want to have to use three coats. With Rampage I understood because it's a jelly. This is not a jelly. Also, in the morning I had...I don't want to call it tipwear, but like...tip-chipping. And I hadn't done anything the night before with my hands. Seriously, nothing. I sat on the couch and watched ice dancing. That is all. I tried to touch it up, but I just got so irritated that I ended up removing Phallic entirely. Love the name, love the color, but something just wasn't right. I even tried to save it by adding a coat of my beloved OPI Pearl of Wisdom.

It's pretty, huh? I was too pissed off at Phallic to keep it this way, though. I had to take off everything.

I'm also getting a little sick of pastels and brights. I'll probably be over that by like, tomorrow, but after I removed Phallic I was looking for something else kind of dark. To make myself feel better I chose a polish with a pleasant name, Sinful Colors Overjoyed.

Now this is a really interesting polish. It's different colored glitter in a sheer, charcoal-colored base. This was three coats.

My ring is from American Eagle, by the way. I've been wearing it for five years now and I never take it off. I think it has kind of an antique-y feel to it. It has also weirdly misshapen my finger the way rings do when you wear them for ages. I will have to wear it on my right middle finger when [if?] I ever receive a ring to wear on my left ring finger. I can't stand having rings next to each other. Okay, this has completely devolved in a jewelry talk. Look at the polish.

Here's a closeup. I'm seeing...turquoise, pink...maybe darker blue glitter. It's really, really nice. My cuticles were stained a little blue at this point. Sorry.

I had never heard of Overjoyed before and I'm glad I picked it up. Unfortunately I just wasn't feelin' it and I took this off within ten minutes too. It was just one of those days where nothing was working for me. I even considered having my nails go naked, but in the end I slapped on two coats of Starfish Patrick and called it a day. Usually I use four coats, but I quite like it as a sheer. I have quite the dent in my little bottle.

Kind of a blah day today. I went back to Dry County CVS to get the pink milani holo, which I believe is called Digital. They were still BOGO 50% off. I had all of them except the gold, so I got that one for $2.50. Ange-Marie made a good point by saying I could use it for Saints manicures next season. Good call, lady. Good call indeed. Now I've got all six of them. Kind of ridiculous. I also picked up Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, the book on which the movie is based. I'm such a wimp when it comes to scary movies. Boyfriend has already decided that we are going to see it in March when he somehow gets here, so I figured if I read the book first I would be less freaked out by the movie. And if you've seen it or read it don't tell me what happens. Kthx. Dennis Lehane also wrote Mystic River, which is a kickass movie. God I love Sean Penn.

So that's all. Oh, I got my Ulta rewards thingy. Level 2. That means a free polish. Yay! Last time I was at Level 6 or something ridiculous like that, so I think this is a good sign that I have curtailed my spending a little. At least at Ulta :D K, have a good weekend, guys. Thanks for reading!

9 comments:

  1. No spoilers, but the book is amazing! I read it late last year when the movie was supposed to come out in November. Now I'm super excited for the movie and I have to wait until MY boyfriend gets here to see it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the book. I bought it for an airplane ride in September, but I was too much of a puss to open the damn thing. I even get freaked out by scary books. Weird huh, since my favorite tv show is ghosthunters! I'm such a weirdo. I'm sorry Phallic sucked for you! Mine was perfect at 3 coats :(
    The sinful is gorgeous, for a glitter...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shutter Island is seriously AMAZING. Not as scary as I thought it would be, because I'm such a wimp too. See it. Please. Plus Leo's in it. MMMM

    Love the Sinful Colors! I don't own any! This is not ok. Haha. I've been holding out because people say they go on sale often, but I've never seen them on sale =(

    I watched ice dancing too! It got a little boring at the end, I thought, since they were all doing the same dance to the same music. I want to watch the free dance round. Anywho, this comment is completely pointless. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read "Shutter Island" some years ago. I immensely enjoyed it. Never seen movies made out of Dennis Lehane's books. I don't like cinema that much, I prefer a good book.

    Sinful Overjoyed is gorgeous. I want Sinful in France (and not only online).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a shame about Phallic too! I've always deliberated over whether to get that one when I've been in the shop but I think I'll hold back on it for now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather, the book was amazing...until the end. I couldn't put it down and I think I finished it in like an hour and a half! Absent boyfriends surely do suck.

    gildedangel, thanks :)

    Ange-Marie, do you ever watch A Haunting on the Discovery Channel? Something tells me you'd be into it. I have no problem reading scary books. I love Stephen King stuff. The Stand is awesome. I can't do movies, though. The last scary movie I saw was The Orphanage with Betsy and I think I was clinging to her the entire time. That was like two years ago.

    kelsea, I am TOTALLY going to see Shutter Island. I have to, because, you know, LEO. I cannot believe you don't own any Sinful Colors. That's so weird. Weirdo!

    jaljen, I found this on a regular display so it's probably around somewhere!

    jellnat, I recommend the book! I prefer books to movies too, most of the time, but I also recommend that you see Mystic River. It's so, so incredible.

    Rebecca, I think I am just opposed to the three coats thing with a high-end polish. If I am paying $14 for something (well, someone got it for me but I payed her back in lipgloss...) then I expect it to apply like a dream like Rescue Beauty Lounge. If you don't mind doing three coats then get it. The color is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, I'm intrigued by the Shutter Island book all of a sudden!
    I'm at a level 4 reward this time and was shocked. I'm not sure if I should be ashamed or proud that I finally moved past level 1.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!