Monday, March 29, 2010

Just Call Me Minty McGee

When I tried Essie Mint Candy Apple back in November I absolutely hated it. I'm not sure what it was. Maybe a combination of sub-par formula plus it was way more blue than I had expected. And I thought it looked weird on me. After that I kind of let the mint green trend pass me by. I noticed that it makes a lot of people's skin look super red in pictures, and I was afraid of that happening to me. I tend to shy away from anything that will make me look pinker. However, the Maybelline Sweet Thing polishes were 40% off at Rite-Aid this weekend, plus there was a dollar off coupon on the display. I got Minty for $1.68. I figured I'd give it a go. I thought that if I didn't like it I could always give it away.



Sorry, no sun today. Thanks Cleveland! I am now three for three on having absolutely no problem with these Maybelline polishes. No lumpy bottles, no awful formula. Again, I'll reiterate that the brush is less than ideal. It doesn't spread out and it's stiff. But it's workable. This is three coats of Minty and a coat of Sally Hansen Mega Shine. I don't think it makes my skin look pinker, so that's good. I'm not in love with it, though. It's unique among other mint greens I have, but I am by no means a green collector so that doesn't mean much.

Left to right: Claire's Dreamcatcher, China Glaze Refresh Mint, Maybelline Minty, Orly Gumdrop, Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Mint Sprint

The Maybelline is bluer than Refresh Mint, which I would consider to be a true mint green, but it's less blue than Gumdrop, which I've heard is really close to China Glaze For Audrey (and most people would consider that a green-leaning blue). Minty is a nice color...and I think I got a pretty good deal on it. Can't beat $1.68 for a highly sought after polish, huh?

Keeping with the pastel trend, I got these new sunnies at H&M on Saturday.


In the store I thought they were kind of a robin's egg blue, but looking at them now they're appearing green. They're obviously supposed to be fake Ray-Bans. Lord I love them. I put them on immediately upon leaving the store. Combined with my trench coat and my floral scarf (pictured above with Minty), this led my friend Amber to tell me that I looked like a secret agent from Candy Land. You be the judge.

Turn over Gloppy the Molasses Monster and nobody gets hurt.

After I laughed for a good five minutes, she then decided that I also resemble an M&M. Colorful on the outside, but dark and delicious on the inside.


I knew that trench coat would be good both for style and for laughs! You can also be damn sure that once the sun decides to come back out, those sunnies are going to be glued to my face. I adore them. $6! Can't beat that.

Alright, sound off ladies: who has found Minty? I may have gotten an extra bottle for a giveaway, so if you couldn't find it, don't give up hope!

12 comments:

  1. I find that the quick dry formulations mean the polish chips faster. Did you find that with this polish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any mint polishes, I haven't really cared for any of them that I've seen. I really like this one though!! Its pretty.

    Love the sunglasses! I can only wear my prescription ones because contacts drive me insane. It's sad. But yay, yours are awesome!

    Those pictures cracked me up, I could see the candyland thing :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ah ah, I dig the last picture! You're so cute and funny. :D
    Candy Mint Apple is also too blue for me. Makes me looks like a shrimp. Somewhat. I also found it a tod too "chalky". Too white, too opaque, I don't know. But I love this Maybelline one.
    I'm wearing a totally similar polish today, little sister (I'm currently preparing the photos). And I had planned to send it to you, I hope you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found the good version of Minty. Two coats and it looks perfect!
    You are so cute btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i always walk past Minty & i dont ever pick it up; i want it now!!! its too cute! and i love your sunglasses & trench coat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe I also described your inner being as "chocolatey." You're welcome. Goddamn, I am hilarious!

    I'm putting on Minty tomorrow, we'll see if I look redonkulous or what.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't find, Minty, but I'll check the Rite Aid by my work today! Your coat is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of the pics didn't work for me! = ( But Minty looks great on you! I only own Mint Candy Apple (oh, and Sinful's Mint Apple or whatever it's called) so I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your mint collection! =)Are you flashing us? LOL XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Queen Frostine. UNDERCOVER.

    Even if you don't love it, the color looks cute and Springy on you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found it but still need to try it! It looks really nice on you. Even if you are a flasher!
    ~Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. super cute post haha :) i totally hopped on the mint polish bandwagon, i bet i have them all except chanel jade! love your sunnies :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!