Monday, March 08, 2010

My Hopes, They Is High

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I had a pretty good one myself. I saw Shutter Island, went out to dinner (a couple times!), watched the Oscars...whew. Yay for Jeff Bridges, by the way. And big yay for Kathryn Bigelow for beating the pants off of James Cameron. I'm not sure if I'm the only one...but I did not like Avatar. I found the 3D to be pretty unimpressive for all the hype (some would call it subtle) and the story was...not good. It was Fern Gully without the fun songs. The dialogue was also not good. You hear that, James Cameron? If you need someone to write dialogue for your next epic adventure ten years from now CALL ME. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Perhaps I am in a complain-y mood today, because...I'm about to complain about polish, too. Yesterday I decided to use another Up & Away, a polish I didn't buy during my original U&A mini-haul, High Hopes.



Outside in weak sunlight. I'm sorry for the bad paint job--I'm saying that a lot lately. My cuticles were stained green from the removal of...whatever I was wearing before. I was getting fed up. But here comes the complaining...the formula on this was just bad. I have subtly said that about Grape Pop and Peachy Keen, but for those posts I simply said the formula was "thick." Okay, I'm just going to go ahead and be honest and say that High Hopes' formula made me want to throw it across the room. It was really thick, but it needed three coats. I did two here because I just didn't feel like doing three. If I were to show you an indoor image with flash, you would see bald patches all over my nails. That's not okay. I'm not sure if anyone else has really complained about these polishes. Most of the "big" reviews I have read haven't really mentioned it, except maybe with Lemon Fizz, but that's kind of par for the course for yellow, yes? Pastel yellow especially.

Formula aside--and it's hard for me to put it aside because it irritated me so much--I love the color. It's hard to describe. It's like...a bright coral that sometimes looks pinker and sometimes looks oranger. My pictures are very color accurate, by the way. I feel like that I read on Scrangie that China Glaze calls this color "guava."


Not...so much. A guava is a lot pinker, yes? I've never eaten a guava. My bestie Angela probably has. I feel like she's always eating awesome exotic fruit. The other day I was talking to her and she was like, "I'm literally holding a coconut with a straw in it." HA! Love her. I feel like I have a picture of Angela and our other friend E eating either a guava or a papaya with a spoon on the train in Barcelona, but I don't have permission from either of them to post that. Oh well. To make up for it, here is a picture I took in La Boqueria, a huge open-air market in Barcelona. Incredible!


There are the papayas in the upper righthand corner! Now where are the guavas? Okay, anyway, I love the color of the polish. It reminds me of summer. I would definitely wear this on my toesies when it becomes flip-flop weather. I just wish the formula wasn't so awful. Has anyone else had this experience with any Up & Away polishes? With Grape Pop it wasn't that big of a deal; I mean, it was thick, but it really only took two coats. When the polish is REALLY thick and NEEDS three coats? No. No thank you. I never thought I'd say this, but...China Glaze, you need some pointers from OPI. The formulas on the Hong Kong collection are spot on. At least in my experience.

Another thing. Look at these bottles.


When I picked up the High Hopes bottle at Sally's I had this sensation that it was somehow smaller than other China Glaze bottles. I was right. That's Peachy Keen on the right, by the way. Can you guys tell that the High Hopes bottle is smaller? It even has less polish in it. Whaaaaat?

Alright, I really need to stop blathering. Sorry guys. I told you I was feeling complain-y today! I'll leave you with a picture of Alley being adorable to fulfill your daily cute.

Aw! You know what she's saying? She's saying don't forget to enter Steff's GIVEAWAY by March 12th by clicking on the picture at the top of the righthand sidebar. You'll find all the rules there. Yes, she can say a lot with her eyes.

Thanks for reading, lovies!

13 comments:

  1. Girl, I am on the anti-Avatar band wagon!

    poo-poo on the bottles, but, go eat a mango - you'll love that!

    :B
    ~Tiffani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say hello to Alley (I think I can communicate better with cats than human beings)

    You're right about the bottle, it looks considerably smaller. I don't know what ChG do with their bottles. The other day, there was 2 bottles on my shelves, one old bottle (still big 3 full) and one recent. They looked the same, seem to contain the same amount of polish but the old bottle say 18ml and the new 14ml (sorry, I talk in ml, not in oz, hehe). Go figure.

    I love the polish color (as you know, I'm in a folly of orange) but a bad formula is a true turn off, thanks for spreading the truth, messiah. I won't buy it (even if it's sexy) - me + thick formula = not friends.

    By the way, I feel like going shopping for youuuuuuuuu tomorrow or the day after, my sweetheart..... yay! :D

    Talking about fruits, whatever happened to yellow kiwis? I used to eat them 5 years ago and don't find any anymore now. I only see green ones. Weird! If you buy a mango, pick it mellow and reddish otherwise it'll be acid, hard, not juicy and full of unchewable fibers, yuck!

    (you make me talk and talk and talk)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! High Hopes was failtastic for me as well. I will be using it for stamping and that is IT! And I HATE the color on me. Super disappointment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea, High Hopes was a bit difficult for me to apply as well, but I LOVE the color so I'm totally going to deal with it. GREAT JOB ON GETTING A FULL RIIIIDEEE!!! I can't believe it!!! That's amazing! =D yayayayay! haha.

    Kitty is soooo cute! I want to hug her

    ~Kelsea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also was a bit bummed/confused by the color. I was expecting more of a pinkish-orange or orangeish-pink but to me it's straight-up orange.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boo for thick polishes! Maybe put a couple drops of thinner in them? Gorgeous colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ugh, Avatar was just Pocahontas without the fun songs! Is there room for me on the wagon?

    I had some trouble with High Hopes, but I had a lot more trouble with Sugar High. At the time, I attributed it to using a different base coat (because Four Leaf Clover applied like a dream), but now I'm thinking that my stress wasn't misplaced.

    I loved the color, but in different lighting, it can really get ugly. I happened to glance down at it while I was pumping gas one night, and it was this hideous orange. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I only really had a problem with Lemon Fizz, but I blamed that on it being a yellow - but then, I have only swatched the pastels. I picked up recently Grape Pop and Four Leaf Clover - and haven't tried them yet, so I don't know about those.
    I HATE that though. Doesn't make any sense for a formula to be so thick and yet leave bald spots - well, a thick formula can sometimes make your application flat ridiculous, I ran into that with a recent Sinful Colors polish, too. Too bad - this is actually a pretty shade.
    Isn't Alley gorgeous! I love this photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't have a big problem with High Hopes but the pastels from this collection are super tricky to apply.

    Lovely, drop me an email about being a guest blogger on YGN. Jacie at youvegotnail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. yardsticks, I'm glad I've found someone else who doesn't think that Avatar was the best thing ever. It was kind of...not good. Merp.

    jellynat, oh my gosh! I love golden kiwis! They are a lot bigger than the green ones, aren't they? I think the last time I had one was actually when I was at La Boqueria two years ago! My friends and I kept going back and buying fruit to eat for breakfast and lunch.

    nihrida, she's cute but she'll rip your face off if you get too close ;)

    Ange-Marie, I think I will thin it and try it again. I like the color too much to give up.

    kelsea, thank youuuuu. You are too sweet.

    Laura, I wouldn't call this straight-up orange. It definitely looks like a coral to me, but it does change in different lights...

    Skulda, I think I will definitely thin this one. Same with my other Up Aways.

    Erin, I agree that it can get ugly. It's a strange color. I don't have Sugar High. I think I'm going to steer clear of the rest of the collection since the four I have are kind of nightmarish application-wise...

    Nicole, Grape Pop is amazing. The formula is less annoying on that one. Even if it were super annoying, though, the color would be worth it. Gorgeous!

    Jacie, application on pastels often makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. girl, it couldn't have been a papaya could it? But yes it was some sorta fruit that we were eating in Barcelona. oh man,I miss it so much! And I miss you! Sorry haven't been visiting...arghh must catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i really like this polish, it's on my toes right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!