Thursday, March 11, 2010

Refractive Indices? Oh Geez, Science

Good morning, lovelies! It's sunny again today, though I'm thinking it won't be for long. When I woke up this morning I wanted to use one of the new Maybelline Sweet Thing polishes, but I seem to have misplaced mine. Not to worry! They'll pop up eventually. Instead, since it's sunny again, I pulled out one of the new Zoyas from the spring 2010 Reverie collection.





I'm sure you all know that this is Zoya Adina. Actually, All You Desire posted great pictures of this one either earlier today or yesterday. Speaking of All You Desire she's having a giveaway to celebrate 500 followers. You'll want to get in on that one. Trust. Anyway, this polish is definitely a stunner. The base color is a blue-toned purple that really, really reminds me of the base color of RBL Scrangie. It has a bright green flash and is a true duochrome. What I mean by true duochrome is that it really does look completely different at different angles. I couldn't really capture its true character. I don't really have any other duochromes like this, but I'm expecting to maybe get one from Nubar soon, so I am pretty psyched. These pictures are of my left hand, as always, but the nails on my right hand have an issue with peeling. Adina shows all of those flaws. I should have used a ridge-filler since it's a metallic, but I wasn't really thinking about it. Just a little advice!

I was kind of afraid to use this one because I read on The Nailphile that Adina just wouldn't dry on her. I think it's okay on me. I put one good coat of SH Mega Shine on and just sat quietly for a few minutes. I even had to pee like immediately after I finished my manicure (thanks coffee!) and I didn't smudge the polish or anything. I'm thinking maybe she had problems with the dry time because of the length of her nails and how much polish she has to use. Mine are basically stubs compared to hers. That's just a guess, though. She's got a great blog :) The true test will come when I try to put on tights in about thirty minutes. Eek.

I have heard this color compared to an oil slick.


I kind of see what people mean. Something about the refractive qualities of light creates this effect. I have no idea. Science is weird. I found a really, really awesome tutorial on how to make yourself one of these:


All you need is black construction paper, an eyedropper, a bottle of clear nail polish, and a pan with enough water in it to cover the paper. Here's the tutorial if you ever want to try it. I wasn't going to post it, but it's relevant since it uses nail polish ;)

I don't have anything terribly interesting to tell you all today. I'm thinking it'll be a lazy day until I have to go to work at 5. I'm thinking of going to see Alice In Wonderland, but I'm not sure. It got really crappy reviews from most critics so I'm kind of torn. I just don't want to be in the theatre with a bunch of kids. That always pisses me off. I remember when Betsy and I went to see Up we were surrounded by children. That's to be expected with a Pixar film, but I was still irrationally upset about it. Anyway, I hope it's sunny and warm wherever you guys are too! Spring is definitely on its way.

PS Tomorrow (March 12) is the last day to enter my GIVEAWAY. If you haven't entered yet go ahead and click on the image at the top of the righthand sidebar. That will take you to the entry post and give you all the instructions.

11 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic on you :) Funny we have the same polish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so pretty on you! It is actually one of the few Zoya polishes that I want....

    ReplyDelete
  3. DAMMIT! Stephanie! I had resisted! I had resisted this color! Until now. So, thanks. Thanks alot. ;P now I have to go buy a polish that will last about 5 minutes on me. Gr. just GRRRRRRR! (it looks beautiful though on you, btw)

    p.s. my weird word ver this time is "coonquat" wtf

    ReplyDelete
  4. This color is hot!!!!!
    This "Alice in Wonderland" movie is not very kid friendly, so you wont have to worry about that. Visually it is very good, and the CGcharacters are better than the actors..Johhny Depp is still awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adina is one amazing nail polish. It looks great on you! I must see about getting myself a bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that rainbow thing!!!! What the HELL. How does it doooo that? Haha. I kinda wanna try it now.

    I saw Alice In Wonderland last night. Yes, the story line was kinda lame. But the visuals were stunning. And Johnny Depp is in it. Haha. Worth it. =)

    ~Kelsea

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean by sitting with kids. We we to the midnight showing of Indiana Jones and there was a kid there. I'm like, omfg, bad father, kid is like 6, he should be in bed by now. And he talked through the ENTIRE effing movie. Just... cripes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AllYouDesire, thank you! I really like this polish. I thought I wouldn't.

    Amberski, get it! You won't be disappointed.

    Ange-Marie, for sure you need this. Even if it only lasts a couple hours. The pretty would be totally worth it.

    Jackie, thanks! And thanks for the Alice info.

    Lily nail, it is! I love duochromes and this one looks so springy.

    witoxicity, you should definitely see about getting yourself a bottle. There is actually a good deal going on at Zoya...if you spend $10 you get a free 8oz bottle of Remove+! Use code BF5 at checkout :)

    kelsea, I have no idea how the rainbow thing works...with clear polish!!! wtff? I guess I should see Alice. Just for the pretties.

    PerryPie, eww, kids and movie theaters just do not mix. I'd probably be an asshole and complain about it. It's called a babysitter, people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get really irritated by kids going to kids movies, too! Which is, you're right, just irrational.

    But when I want to sit in the back row and get all sniffy watching Up, I don't want little munchkins running through the seats or screaming. :(

    Oh, right. Nail blog. :) This color is so pretty! I think that I really like duochromes on everybody but me, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!