Thursday, March 25, 2010

This Pure Ice is Pure Hotness

Hey guys! It's such a gross, rainy day here today. As most of you know, I am pathetic and living with my parents between college and whatever else I'm going to do with my life. They left to go on a bit of a vacation yesterday, so the cats are off of their schedule. My mom usually feeds them every morning around 6:30am. Today I didn't drag myself out of bed until 9:30, so when I got downstairs I found them both sitting BY THE COFFEE POT. It's like they conspired about it: "Okay, we're hungry. Now, where is she sure to notice us? By the TV? No, no. That's not where she'll go first. THE COFFEE POT! PERFECT!" It was pretty funny. I fed the little buggers, cleaned their poo, gave them water, and then drank a vat of coffee. I feel almost awake now!

Yesterday was one of those days where I couldn't decide what I wanted on my nails. Bestie Angela had told me the other day that I just had to get Pure Ice Purple Reign from WalMart. I take her recommendations quite seriously, so I picked it up. Bestie Angela loves purple and always has, so this polish is definitely right up her alley. I tend to either really like true purples like Rescue Beauty Lounge Mismas or China Glaze Grape Pop, or purples that lean blue. Purple Reign leans red...but I have to say that I love it anyway.




Purple Reign is a base color of grape-like purple (which kind of reminds me of OPI Catherine the Grape) with...I think copper shimmer particles. Large shimmer particles. I wouldn't quite call it glitter, though. Here's a macro.

The particles are so dense that they almost look like flakes.

The application on this was pretty good for a $2 polish. The formula was pretty perfect, actually. Easy to control, almost good at one coat (but I did two). Unfortunately this chipped on me about two hours after I put it on. Maybe it was operator error, I'm not sure. It just seemed to be falling off my nails at the tips. Regardless, I removed it pretty quickly. I kind of wish I hadn't, though, because it's absolutely gorgeous.

After I removed Purple Reign I decided to give another polish that I had completely written off a go. Last summer I finally bought OPI Lincoln Park After Dark. I used two coats of it and had bald patches. I was pissed off. I didn't want to have to use three coats with such a dark color. Now I've realized that sometimes that's necessary, especially with OPI. I pulled it out again yesterday and very carefully applied it. I even wrapped the tips. I have to say...I love this. I think it'll be my go-to toe color for summer, along with China Glaze Sneakerhead, my favorite release from last summer. It's not sunny out AT ALL, but here is a bad picture of my right hand.


Definitely looks black in this picture but we all know it's not. It's eggplant. And it's lovely. I guess it's a cult classic for a reason. Ideally my nails would be a bit shorter for a color this dark, but whatever. It's chic. Alright, that's all for today. Hopefully this doesn't chip on me while I'm cooking later. I will get really, really irate...

Have a great day, everyone!

BY THE BY: Bestie Angela is giving away a really adorable gold bow necklace. Its retail value is something like $120, and did I mention it's ADORABLE?? The rules to enter are easy-peasey, so get over there and do it. Click here to do so.

12 comments:

  1. Ooh, I like Purple Reign!!
    What you said about the kitties make me laugh. Little geniuses. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bought purple reign a few weeks ago, still havent tried it! but its definitely very pretty! gotta try it asap! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wearing Purple Reign today!! It's pretty, but there seems to be shrinkage/tipwear already. I thought application was kind of poo too. It seemed to "drag" color away if I went over a spot too many times. Oh well. Like you said, maybe operator error.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried any pure ice polishes, because i've never seen any that really catch my eye. This one is def really gorgeous though, i'm going to have to look for it next time i'm at walmart! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Pure Ice polish, they have some great colors and for $2 who could complain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous purple. I have a serious thing for red-purples. I just bought Purple Medallion today (why do I keep buying glitter stef? why? we all know how this is gonna end...)
    Love that the cats waited by the coffee. Mine would have done the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got Purple Reign a few weeks ago too! When I saw it, it just jumped out at me! Cant wait to try it. And Lincoln Park Looks awesome on you! I like dark colors on longer nails, I think dark colors make nails look shorter anyway.
    ~Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  8. girl you give me blog promo all the time! Thanks :) lol. umm yeah Purple Reign is chip-city. I was picking it off during class today...yep class was that boring...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cats are smart creatures. =)
    I love this nail polish! And only 2USD, now that's a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaah, Stephanie. I enjoyed the cat episode. I have been among cats since I'm a baby. They're manipulative and intelligent. They know how to tell you what they want without opening the mouth.


    Now the polish - I love true purple and moreover creme. It's not properly creme but it's great anyway. I adore the association purple/copper or purple/orange. <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooo I love purple. I don't love chipping the same day though. I'm so rough on my nails. =(

    I hope LPAD didn't chip!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great color on you! The kitties say "four paws up" and I think they took notes about the coffee pot >.<

    I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for this to show up at the local Walmart!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!