Thursday, May 20, 2010

In Defense of a Dear Old Friend

Today I've got a post that was inspired by one of my dearest bloggy buddies, Ange-Marie over at Scandalously Polished. A couple days ago I came home from work to find that she had posted something just for little ol' me. Wanna see it? Click here. In her post she talked about how meh she was feeling about China Glaze Wagon Trail. Now, I don't know if I have flat-out said this--I've beat around the bush a few times like, "Wagon Trail is in my top 5 favorite polishes"--but Wagon Trail is my Favorite Nail Polish Of All Time. Yes, it gets capitalized. What do I mean by that? I mean that if I had to get rid of every single polish that I own and only keep one, it would be Wagon Trail. It's one of two polishes that I own a backup bottle of. I knew I needed one. Why do I love it so?


Well, just look at it. Now, I don't discriminate against polishes; holos, glitters, shimmers, cremes, nudes, sheers, I'll wear 'em all. My one true love, though, are vampies. I love wearing black and "almost black" shades. I really like a lot of shades that I feel like some bloggers don't because they look so dark all the time (OPI Black Cherry Chutney, anyone?). Wagon Trail is so amazing because--and yes, I admit it--it does look nearly black indoors and in the shade.

Here it is indoors.

You can see that it does appear to be "almost-black," but it's still tinged with kind of an olive cast. So what's Wagon Trail's deal, anyway? It's a black base with a lot of shimmer. Its shimmer is predominantly gold, but there is also some green and red thrown in. The gold plus the black gives the appearance of the polish being olive green sometimes. That's what's so awesome about it.


There's a nice macro. I mean, c'mon. This is gorgeous. In the sunlight Wagon Trail also has that lit from within thing going on where it kind of looks like it's glowing in the middle of the nail and blacker around the edges. It's just stunning and I can't stop looking at my hands while I'm wearing it. And I wear it a lot. Hence the backup bottle. What's that? You wanna see it again? Okie.



Ooohhh, be still my heart. It's goin' pitter patter. Now, let's talk about where Wagon Trail came from for a sec. China Glaze's fall 2008 collection Rodeo Diva. Holy shit, if that wasn't like the best collection of all time I don't know what can top it. It has brought me so many gorgeous polishes. Red Stallion. Side Saddle. Midnight Ride. Branding Iron. Gussied Up Green. Golden Spurs. Prize Winning Mare. And oh, did I mention Wagon Trail? Almost every polish in that collection is incredible. I have a lot more readers now than when I did my long-ass Rodeo Diva review, but I found the entire collection in a dusty in either late January or early February. I wore every polish from the collection over the next two weeks and I blogged about each of them. If you wanna see that, check the February archives.

What I'm basically saying is that I love everything about Wagon Trail, from its provenance to its appearance. I love its formula too, but make sure to wait at least thirty seconds between coats or you'll get cuticle drag. I used two coats for the manicure above, plus one coat of Seche Vite. This is my favorite way for my nails to look. Period. I love it.

Now, Ange-Marie and I have talked many times about polishes that we dearly want. We once exchanged names of discontinued OPIs that we would be willing to shove old ladies for. One of mine was At Your Quebec and Call from OPI's Canada collection. It's a shimmery olive green, slightly blackened, that I have been looking for forever. Ange very rightly called it Wagon Trail's kissin' cousin. At the end of her post to which I linked you above she revealed that she found At Your Quebec and Call in a dusty and that she was SENDING ME A BOTTLE. I came home to a little package last night when I dragged myself back into the house around 1am.


Look at that little beauty. Hello, lover. So Ange, dear Ange, thank you. Thank you so much for sending me this little gem that I've wanted for so long. Thank you for inspiring me to bust out Wagon Trail yet again.

Now, what do you guys think about Wagon Trail? Most of the people who commented on Ange's post didn't like it, which I found really surprising. Do you like it? Do you have it? Are you looking for it? Spill.

18 comments:

  1. But it does not look like that on me! (pout) It looks black in all light, I swear I could be sitting on the sun and it's still black with a tiny nearly invisible dust of gold shimmer. If it looked on me like it does on you, I'd love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both are on my lemming list. They are stunning! So, yeah. I'm actually surprised that the comments tip towards the negative.
    Lucky you, can't wait to see swatches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAH I waffled back and forth back and forth over adding this to my last TransDesign order and finally settled on Prize Winning Mare instead - which don't get me wrong, PWM is gorgeous, but your top polish of all time? ahh wish I had ordered it! It looks great on you :D Gorgeous new old OPI!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have Wagon Trail but it is gorgeous! I've got At Your Quebec & Call. The first coat is disappointing but it gets better the more you apply! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wagon Trail is on my wishlist along with many others from Rodeo Diva collection! I'll do a major haul with those when my birthday comes in 2 months :P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have Wagon Trail. It looks awesome. I just can't decide if it is something I would wear though because I usually prefer bright colors.
    Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i dont have Wagon Trail but i sure do want it!! its beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so wonderful on you. Blacks and almost black polishes are my favorites too :) Enjoy your new pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is gorgeous! There really is some magic in all almost black polishes, the feeling that there is something (real color) what only you and your polish knows :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have a bottle of at your quebec and call and love it. wagon trail is definitely on my list of polishes i need to get.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Wagon Trail. But I like Quebec better because it is lighter. I'm not a HUGE fan of almost black. But I get the love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. meh. you must be wearing something besides WT because thats not what mine looked like. it was plain black meh. It did not look like that on me even in direst sunlight. so...meh.
    but ayqac is the hottness

    ReplyDelete
  13. love love love love love.

    I have and love AYQ&C, and I want Wagon Trail with a beating bloody passion. I really like the layered look she did on her post, too. Hmm.

    I hope you are having a lovely day my friend =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there old friend! Just wanted to check in and let ya know I'm still reading everyday, just not much time for comments. So glad you got a polish you had been on the hunt for :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this and utterly love it. Actually I have both Wagon Trail and AYQAC and I much prefer the Wagon Trail - although AYQAC is pretty, I was disappointed in it, in comparison. I'm with you on the dark polishes, I tell you, I love them too. Can't ever resist one. And this is a special polish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. After reading your post I added Wagon Trail to my wish list (I have OPI's Black Cherry C. and love it)!I love vampies too...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't have this one, but AMQaC looks more interesting to me. I'll have to see WT in person first :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got Wagon Trail accidentally in an order from 8ty8beauty (I think I was aiming for Secret Periwink-le or something) and I just HAD to keep it - it's that gorgeous. What beautiful pictures, too! Thank you for making me want to dig this beauty out! ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!