Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Little Update: Graduate School and A New Apartment

Hi guys!  I miss you!  I have a spare...55 minutes right now, so I thought I'd post a little update about what's going on in my life.  Here it is in a nutshell:  total insanity.  After I had my orientations for grad school I realized really quickly two things:  first, I'd be unable to commute from home and be successful in the program.  Second, I'd need to quit my job.  I found an apartment as quickly as I could.  I saw a place on a Saturday and I was sleeping here by the following Tuesday.  I quit my job at Coffee Inc., which is really, really sad for me.  You all know how much I love coffee.  And being a barista.  And my barista buddies.  And...coffee.  But I think it was necessary.  I only have one shift left before I'm finished at Coffee Inc., and it's bittersweet.  On one hand I think it'll be good that I can just focus on school.  On the other hand...I love that job.

I was living about 35 minutes away from my school.  When I found my apartment (which I called The PH for the penthouse) my biggest concern was just getting my bed and my books here.  It's funny how your priorities change.  Food?  No, not an issue.  Books?  Yes, need them.  Anyway, I don't have much here right now.  Look at this sad amount of nail polish.



I chose nine polishes and brought them with me, plus my base and topcoats.  In case you're interested, here's what I brought:
(1)  China Glaze Cherry Pie
(2)  OPI Lincoln Park After Dark
(3)  Sally Hansen Concrete
(4)  OPI Midnight In Moscow
(5)  OPI You Don't Know Jacques!
(6)  American Apparel Passport Blue
(7)  OPI All A-Bordeaux the Sled
(8)  China Glaze Wagon Trail
(9)  China Glaze Bogie
You'll notice a pattern here, I'm sure.  I'm in a vampy and gray mood.  I brought Cherry Pie with me just in case I ever feel fabulous, but for now I feel moody.  Don't judge me.  I've got All A-Bordeaux the Sled on right now and I love it.



So here's my place.  I wasn't kidding when I said I only have a bed and a desk.  And it's huge.  That first picture was taken from the doorway.  I have a huge living room and nothing to put in it.  Literally nothing.  Those are my important art books on the floor.  I have an extra bedroom, too.  And no stuff.  Sigh.



A dear friend, who is just so incredibly good to me all the time, has been writing inspirational things on my bathroom mirror.  I have daily freak-outs about pretty much everything going on so looking at my mirror makes me smile.  I am so deathly afraid of failure.  Everything has just happened so fast, you know?  All of a sudden I'm a graduate student and I'm going to school full-time again.  I don't know why I thought I could work and go to school, too.  This grad school thing is evidently a full-time job in and of itself.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys a little update and let you all know I'm doing okay.  I received a few sweet e-mails, so that was really nice too.  You are all the best and I miss blabbing at you every day.  But don't worry about me!  I'll just look like this for the next two years.



I'll update again when I can.  My 55 minutes are up, though, and I'm off to the Cleveland Museum of Art.  I wish I had a cup of coffee...

12 comments:

  1. Try not to worry about failing. Everybody fails sometimes and you learn the best lessons and the most about yourself through those failures. Best of luck to you and I hope you can find some cheap furniture to fill up your amazing apartment! (check out target. they have cute futon/sofa things) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear from you! Your place is huge and luminous, I so love it. Anyway... yes it all happened so fast! Grasp what you have, fight, give the best of you. And one thing... forget about failure, don't stress. Be positive, everyday. Me, I believe in you. <3

    PS. Gimme your new adress someday. That flat need more polish in it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your apt looks amazing...I know it is empty and all, but it looks like it has so much potential! I hope you can grad a spare moment to decorate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, I can deal with one post every 10 days if that's all you have time for. I would definitely be bring the Helmers on the next trip though. Seriously, polishing is how I unwind every night and since you can be typing papers between coats, it's all good. Get some Drip Dry and screw the Seche.

    Beautiful apartment. GORGEOUS floors. I see some Craig's List shopping in the near future. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your new apartment! It looks great! Goodluck also in Graduate School! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so good hearing from you :) wow, the new apartment looks great! its so big too :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that apartment looks aweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesome as hell! too bad you're gonna be all busy and can't enjoy what a great party place it'd be. oh well, there's time for parties after you finish school

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look like you have a big adventure ahead of you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck in schooL!

    http://xmaterialgirlsx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I missssss youuuu!

    I'm glad you got an apartment! It looks amazing! You'll do great things, I know it! Loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be lonesome sometimes living away from your family and friends. My sister used to be homesick on her first months leaving away from us. But her short term Furnished (rentals, NYC)apartment kept her busy with the interior that made her feeling a bit more lightened.

    I hope all is good with you there! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!