Tuesday, October 19, 2010

MAC Bad Fairy

Hey guys!  This is going to be a long post with something very special and important to me at the very end, so please stick around.  You know how I babble.  On Friday night my friend Michelle Mismas was nice enough to take this poor graduate student out to dinner.  She fed me Indian food, she listened to my life complaints, she dazzled me with stories about Zoya and fashion weeks gone by, and she gifted me polish literally as soon as I walked in her door.  She is truly generous.  She immediately handed me the three MAC Venomous Villains polishes from the Malificent set, which is just...awesome.  I didn't get any of the Orly FX collection, so all of these polishes are new to me.  Plus they were also sold out at my MAC store and my MAC counter, so I really had no hope of getting them.


I asked Michelle which one of the three was her favorite and she told me Bad Fairy, just because it's the most unique of the lot.  So that's the one I used first.  I've read a lot of reviews of this collection and I've seen Bad Fairy called "cranberry" a couple times.  I don't know if that's MAC's official description of the shade or what (I'm too lazy to look) but I don't see cranberry when I look at this at all.  I see magenta.  When the light hits this duochrome at certain angles an orange/amber flash really comes out.  It's very, very pretty.  I wasn't crazy about it when I first put it on, but it's growing on me the longer I wear it.  It went on very sheer with the first coat, but it's buildable and fully opaque at three coats.  The formula was fine, as most MACs seem to be lately.  The brush on my bottle was a little wonky, but it didn't affect application too much so I'm cool with it.







I didn't have the bottle with me in the first two pictures, so I'm sorry about that.  They were spontaneous candid shots.  This is a difficult polish to capture.


I also bought myself one of the Cruella lipsticks from the Venomous Villains collection.  It's the most wearable of the six, in my opinion.



Here I am wearing Heartless lipstick.  It's a nice, wearable cherry red that still packs a bit of a KAPOW.  And no, the irony is not lost on me that I'm wearing a sweater with a giant heart on it.


Now for something off-topic, but it's for a good cause.  I hope that piques your interest.  My dad, computer whiz and father figure extraordinaire, is the IT manager for a relatively new organization called The Cleveland Cord Blood Center.  Why am I bringing this up?  Well, first let me tell you a little bit about what the CCBC is all about (you can also click on the link provided to sleuth for yourself).  It is Ohio's first and only public cord blood bank.  How does it work?  A full-term baby is born, the umbilical cord is cut, the blood (full of stem cells!) is extracted and sent to CCBC's facility where it can then be distributed world-wide for transplants or for research.  Why are stem cells important?  They have the ability to renew themselves and then differentiate into specialized cell types.  They can (basically) act as a repair system for damaged tissues, organs, what have you.  I'm also going to include this fantastic three-minute video from a local Cleveland news station that does a really great job explaining why CCBC is so important.





So why am I telling you guys?  CCBC is participating in the Pepsi Refresh Project.  I'm sure you've all seen commercials for it before.  Pepsi is giving away millions of dollars to fund great ideas.  The winners are decided through the votes of the public, so I'm writing about The Cleveland Cord Blood Center in hopes that you guys can take a few minutes out of your [busy] days to go to this link and cast your vote for CCBC.  CCBC should be the first idea that comes up when you give that link a clickity-click.  I think Pepsi requires you to register to vote, but I promise that it only takes a minute and that they won't spam your inboxes.  Trust me, I had the same concerns, but I've remained Pepsi spam-free.  Every vote counts and every little bit helps.  You can also donate directly to the Center at its website, which is, again, right here.


Before I stop going on about this I just want to make clear, for anyone who might be concerned or who didn't watch that video, that CCBC does not use embryonic stem cells.  My dad likes to tell me that the stuff they use would be medical waste anyway.  Umbilical cords are thrown away every day.  CCBC simply takes that medical waste and turns it into something extraordinarily useful.  Super cool, right?  It would mean a lot to me and my dad if you guys could just take a minute and cast your vote for CCBC.  Remember, every vote counts.  You can also vote once a day, so if you feel like going back and voting again tomorrow (and the next day, and the day after...) you can certainly do that.


Okay, thanks for sticking with me if you did.  I know I don't post much anymore but just know that I really miss all of you.  This blog is a bright spot in what is quickly becoming Ohio nuclear winter.  I'll do what I can to make more time for it.

4 comments:

  1. Woot! I voted for this great cause!

    Its pretty cool that you know Michelle Mismas...jealous! I love Bad Fairy and am hoping OPI The Show Must Go On can cure my lemming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That polish is gorgeous! I wantttt. Haha.
    I'll vote for CCBC [:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey steff! just wanted to say that I totally love your blog. I think it's nice that you mix personal stuff and nailpolish! Greetings from Sweden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!! I have a few things .. 1. I LOVE the polish! Rockin' color. 2. Has anyone ever told you that you look like Chloƫ Sevigny? GORGEOUS! 3. Cord Blood is an awesome technology! I wish I knew about it when I gave birth to my son 8 years ago. What a great cause! w00t!

    PS. The shape of your nails is sooo nice. My nail beds are so short and stubby. LOL So, even though they're long, they're still short and stubby. heheh :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!