Thursday, November 11, 2010

From the Hospital

Hi guys. I'm writing today from University Hospitals in Cleveland, mostly to keep my mind busy. Yesterday my mom had big-time surgery, so I'm here with her while she recovers. She's sleeping now, semi-peacefully, so I thought I might update the bloggity-blog. I didn't want to post on here what was going on before the surgery out of deference to my madre, but now that it's over and she's (hopefully) alright I thought it would be okay to write it down. Yesterday morning she had 50% of her pancreas, her spleen and her gallbladder removed. The surgeons said it would take four hours but it only took two and a half. I got here at 7 yesterday morning and stayed until midnight or so. I came back again this morning. I was silly enough to think that I might be able to get some schoolwork done, but I've been busy trying to chat with her (she's a little loopy from the medicine) and feeding her ice chips. I even read her about three paragraphs of one of my methodology readings before she fell asleep. I feel you, mom. I feel you on the boring.

I was very, very scared for her leading up to the surgery, so I think that combined with school was the source of my tension headaches that I'd been mentioning (read: complaining about). I've still got one, but it has lightened up a little bit. My family and friends have been supportive and my boyfriend has been great, visiting me at the hospital and snuggling me to [apparently fretful] sleep. Also, can I just tell you that I hope someday I find someone who loves me as much as my mom and dad love each other? My dad stayed with her all night and slept on a cot next to her hospital bed. Periodically I'd look over and see them holding hands in their sleep. It was so sweet. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it.

So that's what's going on here. Just so you have some visual stimulation, here's a nice sunset over the city (and parking garage) that I took from the hospital window last night.



Luckily University Hospitals is on the Case Western campus (my school) so I live right by where my mom will be hanging out for the next 7-10 days. I'll be with her when I'm not in class or sleeping (but let's get real, I'll probably end up sleeping here, too) so I probably won't have a lot of time for nail-paintage. But who knows! If I go home tonight I think I will do my nails. Right now China Glaze Naughty and Nice is beginning to chip. I didn't take any proper pictures of this polish, but here's one I just snapped really quickly in the dark hospital room.


Looks kinda black, huh? Well, it's not. It's a nice, dark, vampy purple. Kind of a jelly-creme, too. It has that squishy feeling, but it applied nicely like most China Glaze cremes do. I love me a good vampy. Also, please don't judge me. I haven't worn makeup for like three days and I didn't have time to wash my hair last night. I = hot mess. Tired panda.

Alright, that's all for now. My aunties, evil temptresses that they are, sent me a box of chocolates along with flowers for my mom. I think I'm going to nom some of that and attempt some reading while she sleeps. Send good thoughts our way, if you wouldn't mind. We can really use some positive vibes.

27 comments:

  1. you're still in our prayers. let me know if you need anything

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww, prayers going out for you, your mom and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing your Mom a speedy recovery. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope everything turns out for the best! ((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope and pray for the speedy recovery of your mom. God Bless!

    -Mia
    http://miafied.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you the best of luck and hope your mother gets a fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending SUPER GOOD JUJU your way!!! Prayers for a speedy recovery!!! God Bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sending good thoughts and vibes for your mom to have a speedy recovery and be back in action, really soon. *hug* to you, too. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look freaking gorgeous. Never think otherwise. And I'm glad to hear your mom got through her surgery alright. BTW, your parents = totally cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope she feels better too. Thats so sweet about your Dad and Mom holding hands. Hang in there, she will be alright. And in all honesty, you looked really good (love the polish).
    Big hug

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so stressful. Take it easy, & take care of yourself. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you & your mom. I wish her a speedy recovery. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look fine, really. Done that hospital/mom thing and it's brutal. I actually had a nail care kit with me (I was 1500 miles from home) and I think it kept me sane. Be nice to yourself, and major good health vibes on their way to your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad your mum came through the surgery fine. All my positive vibes are being sent in your direction. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope everything would be just fine...hold on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH no! I'm sure she will heal up well, hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just discovered your blog, so sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she is feeling better soon! Sending good vibes from England.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    I'm not a follower, was referred here by ALU, but wanted to wish you the best and your Mom a speedy recovery. I went through something somewhat similar with my Mom and wanted to offer a bit of advice. No matter how much she wants to get out of the hospital, DO NOT let them discharge her until she is able to keep liquids down with no problem. Not sure if this is an issue for her or not, but trust me, dehydration leads to nothing good.
    So, some good vibes and well wishes from a perfect stranger, for a perfect stranger.
    All my best,
    Winnie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sending positive prayers for a speedy recovery from ALU for your mom. Hope she feels better and hope the food was good. Hope to be your next follower of your web blog. Sounds cool, post whatever you like I love reading other people's adventures, LOL polish or not.

    FYI-Your manicure looks gorgoeus, love that color shade on you...Nameste.

    Mc Huggs :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Referred here by ALU, as well. I'm sending your mom healing vibes & prayers for a speedy, thorough recovery. Please take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi! I was referred here by ALU and just wanted to send you all the positive vibes you need....and then some! A speedy recovery for your mom and panda bear hugs to you & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Definitely sending some get well vibes from over here in Erie. I'll send them via the lake, ok? Haha. Anyway, best wishes to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's all been said just want to add my prayers for wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Best wishes to your mom for a speedily recovery, and I hope you're feeling better as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sending good thoughts and healing wishes to your mum. Take care of yourself (so you can help take care of everyone else). *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  25. The best gift you can give you and your mom is to be there for her. Sending healing thoughts to all.

    ReplyDelete
  26. University Hospitals in Cleveland is one of the best medical centers in the country. Warmest wishes to you and your mom, and hope for a speedy recovery from a fellow nail polish fan.

    ReplyDelete
  27. best wishes to your mommy!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!