Monday, January 10, 2011

Revlon Perplex

This is a picture-heavy post, so stick with me.  So, we all know about this polish.  We all know about this polish because it's a supposed very close dupe for Chanel Paradoxal which is insanely beautiful but also insanely expensive.  The problem with Revlon Perplex is that it's "limited edition" and somewhat difficult to find.  I found one bottle right at the beginning of my winter break at a ghetto CVS.  Then I lent it to my boyfriend's mom before I used it myself because I thought she might like it.  Then I found another display, so I picked up another and told my boyfriend's mom she could keep the first bottle.  Perplex and I have had a month-long relationship.  It wasn't on my nails, but it was in my bag every day, staring at me with its pretty purple shimmer and its ugly, ugly bottle.  Finally, I put it on.  And here it is.





Sorry for the bad application.  I was rushing to catch the sunshine before it disappeared again.  The formula on Perplex is excellent.  It almost only required one coat and it was easy to apply.  I don't have the Chanel to compare, but I've seen photos on several blogs that indicate that for all intents and purposes it's a dupe.  Basically, if you can find this polish, buy it.  I saw a display at Ulta last weekend when I was there and it was full, probably because someone had just put it out.  It'll probably be easiest to find at CVS, though.  Revlon polishes retail for about $5, which definitely beats the $23 you'll pay for Chanel Paradoxal.  For reference, here's what the display looks like.


Anyway, my break is officially over.  When this posts I'll be in class.  This month went so insanely quickly.  I'm not ready to go back to school at all.  I still feel completely overwhelmed by...well, life.  My last weekend as a free scholar was actually pretty nice.  On Thursday night I watched many, many episodes of Six Feet Under, one of them from the bathtub (which is probably my biggest guilty pleasure; spending hours in the bathtub is really not something I'm proud of).  On Friday night my boyfriend took me to dinnertimes and it was delicious and Asian.  Saturday night we went to see The King's Speech which was awesome.  Before the movie, this is how I spent the majority of my evening.


Drinking coffee, reading a very heavy book about Rembrandt connoisseurship, and sitting by the fire at Coffee Inc.  I was feeling very relaxed and very warm, so I took a picture.  Doesn't it make you feel cozy?  Also, I'm sure you remember my hipster scholar glasses.



I got these the day before my first semester started in order to inspire me to be ridiculous and scholarly.  Fittingly, they broke right as I was finishing my final final paper at the beginning of December (yes, I actually wore these to write papers).  So I had to get some new ones, and here they are.



Look, I'm so blase about life, just like a hipster.  I actually really like these frames on me.  Plus they're a nice brown tortoiseshell, so they're a little less shocking than the black ones.  New semester, new scholar glasses.  Anyway, that's how far I've gotten in the way of preparations for school.  Grad student costume complete.  

So that's all.  You've got a little Perplex, a little fireplace-readin', and a little ridiculousness.  Who has found Perplex?  It took me a while spot it, but I'm really glad I finally did.  What a pretty, pretty polish.  Congratulations, Revlon.  You definitely stuck it to Chanel.

16 comments:

  1. I am all over those tortoiseshell frames. Love them. My sunglasses are brown tortoiseshell Rayban look-alikes. I always feel really cool when I wear them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The name Perplex is so fitting for Mondays---

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your frames and your manicure. I need to find this one so I dont use up all of my Chanel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to swap on MUA for mine, but I've worn it 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I love it.

    And the hipster glasses, so awesome! I'm on the hunt for readers =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This color looks great on your hands! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh i looked all over to find it. i was looking for like a month then i went in to ulta and bam it was there just mixed in with the regular Revlon! i was so exited!!!

    its a great color!!! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dovey, I totally agree about your Monday comment. Mondays are just the worst. Especially first-day-of-school Mondays.

    Hey-Hay, I think I'm going to look around for it again and see if I can get another bottle. Or two. I'm just absolutely in love with the color. I've been catching myself admiring my own hands all day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw The King's Speech on Saturday and loved it! No one has ever made a string of expletives quite so funny. I also am putting off my test of Perplex, I scooped it up at Ulta and my first swatch seemed very runny. I'm worried it will disappoint me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loooove Perplex so much. I put it on the night I got it and loved it so I went back the next day and snagged two back up bottles, luckily I went right back because they were gone the next time I was in that CVS. I haven't seen any since then. It looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Charlotte, my bottle had a great formula. I wonder why yours seemed runny...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really considering getting the Perplex if I find it just so I never have to waste my Chanel. I'm pretty sure that statement right there qualifies me for that show hoarders =( It looks lovely on you. Good luck this semester. Oh, and new hipster glasses? Love them. Wayyyyyyy cute compared to those other ones!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perplex is SO pretty! If I'm able to find it.. I'm definitely going to pick it up!

    Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ange, I'd probably be the same way if I had the Chanel. As it is, I only want like four more bottles of the Revlon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What's wrong with long baths? I ask my friends what they do with a couple of free evening hours that's more constructive than a bath and a book and they rarely come up with anything because they know they're just sitting around watching bad reality TV.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandi, you're probably right. Although sometimes I do sit around watching bad reality tv. Another guilty pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i found this at big lots on sale for a $1 :) and grabbed 2!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!