Saturday, January 15, 2011

Taggity-Tag


Oh hey, I've been tagged!  To my knowledge I've been tagged twice for this award, by both !Kendal and Varnish Vixen.  Thanks for thinking of me!  I haven't been overly present in the blogging community for the past several months, so it's really nice that anyone remembers me.  And I like tags.

So I guess the rules are:
1.  Thank and link the person who gave it to you,
2. Share 7 random facts about yourself
3. Give the award to 15 other bloggers and let them know about it. 

I already have a bunch of random facts about myself listed in my Who Am I? tab, but I'll try to come up with seven more that aren't too uninteresting.

1.  One of my favorite albums of all time is The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds.  It's one of those albums that I can listen to all the way through, over and over again.  The songs have fantastic continuity and they fit together so well.  I enjoy every song, but especially Wouldn't It Be Nice, That's Not Me, Sloop John B and You Still Believe in Me.  What I find so interesting about Pet Sounds is that it was sort of Brian Wilson's response to The Beatles' Rubber Soul (another great album).  In turn, Pet Sounds went on to influence McCartney and Lennon pretty profoundly in the production of Sgt. Pepper's.  
2.  I've taken four years of Latin.  Sometimes I'm surprised at how much I remember.  I had a really fantastic teacher.  I translated several books of The Aeneid at one point, and although it was an agonizingly difficult and slow process, it was still really fun.  I'm thinking of getting ars longa, vita brevis, a Hippocrates quote, tattooed somewhere on me (which means "art is long, life is short").  I've been thinking about it for years, but as I trudge my way through graduate school the message is seeming more poignant than ever.  Hippocrates was a doctor, so ars in this instance is usually translated to mean something more like "craft" instead of "fine art," but I still like the message.
3.  My favorite piece of jewelry is probably this crazy costume necklace I got at American Eagle for about $8.  I find myself wearing it pretty often.



I enjoy wearing it with this plaid shirt from Target for some reason.  The juxtaposition of the pseudo-fancy jewelry with the lumberjack-looking shirt is fun to me.
4.  It's a known fact that mentioning the words "Dumbo's mom" will make me cry within minutes.  Whenever anyone says that, the image of Dumbo sitting outside of his mother's little "mad elephant" cage pops into my mind and literally makes me burst into tears.  And she rocks him in her trunk :(  Actually, I'm Google imaging that shit right now and crying.  It's horrible.  What is wrong with me?


AHHHH TINY ELEPHANT TEARS!  :(

5.  My favorite thing to eat lately is eggs benedict.  Is there a better meal out there?  I don't think so.  I mean, it's eggs on ham on an english muffin covered with MORE EGGS (mixed with other things of course).  Mmm.  Maybe I'll take myself out to breakfast tomorrow.
6.  I really like flowers.  You know, like bouquets of flowers.  They're so ephemeral and beautiful to me because they only last a couple days.  The guy I was with for a long time adamantly refused to give me flowers.  He would always say to me, "I'll give you flowers when you're dead."  Sigh.  After I moved into my apartment my boyfriend got me a tiny pot of flowers, but I haven't been very good at keeping them alive.  I can hardly keep myself alive.  
7.  I really love [almost] all things Joss Whedon.  Buffy, Firefly, Dollhouse, Dr. Horrible...I haven't ever watched Angel, but I've heard it's pretty awesome so I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  I would love to own the complete Buffy series someday.  Watching it helps me unwind, but I can only get the first couple seasons online.

Phew.  That was hard.

So I feel like I might be late in doing this tag, and I don't know who else has already been tagged, so I'm just going to do the lazy thing and say that if you've read this (which is laudable in and of itself), then you're tagged.  Thanks again to the girls who thought of me!  That's so sweet.

Oh, and happy Saturday.

12 comments:

  1. A fellow Whedon fan, nice to meet you! haha

    I may do the tag...we'll see how much my homework hates me :S

    Hope your having a lovely weekend so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the last 4 seasons of Buffy on dvd.. I'm eventually going to have them all. I lovee Buffy. And my mom has a few seasons of Angel on dvd. I just started watching it last week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my gosh, I've always found the movie Dumbo deeply sad. I thought I was the only one! And I love the tattoo idea, it sounds perfect. I'd love to get a tattoo but I can't for the life of me think what I get. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you loved the Beach Boys! (I could spend my whole talking about music and go through my records so don't get me started, ah ah). I so love this band. I'm not much interested in what they did after 1969 but all their 60's work (even the early tracks) are on regular rotation on my iPod. I ADORE "Wouldn't It Be Nice" (close second favorite is "Surfin' USA").

    I've taken 3 years of Latin. Let's speak Latin from now on. ;) (ok, it's better not to since I have forgotten everything).

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is one of my favourite songs ever! I didn't know that about Rubber Soul, that's really interesting, thank you for writing that. I'm the same with virtually every Disney film I've seen, they just seem to take my brain back to my childhood, except with an adult awareness of how fleeting life is and the heartbreak of how I was so happy when I was a child and now I'm ... well, not, I always knew adulthood would be rubbish :P In other words, they make me cry! Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You shouldn't put your great tattoo idea's out there like that, somebody like me may just steal them haha (but let's get real...as much as I want one..I'm never getting a tattoo. wuss, yes I know lol) oh and by the way-i LOVE that scene in dumbo!

    by the way..I would really love it if you would consider following me, because of you I started my own polish blog!! You're doing a great job, keep it up =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lauren, I checked out your blog for a couple minutes and followed. Glad you started one. Also, please don't steal my tattoo idea. Although I'm sure other people have that tattoo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sad parts in Disney movies always make me tear up--- I completely forgot about Dumbo's mom, but now that's making my eyes feel a little leaky

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh Latin/Aeneid love! I remember how slow it was translating that but I really enjoyed it too. Translating Latin was so... Meditative I want to say? for me... I really got in the zone doing that. Now I remember so little of the vocabulary that I can't really put it to use any more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meditative is a good way to put it, Jennifer. It was relaxing yet somehow extremely stressful at the same time. But the high you get when you successfully translate a really beautiful literary device into English can't be beat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What is it with Disney and all the abandonment/death themes? I get all teary-eyed both in Bambi when his mom dies, but especially when Mufasa dies in Lion King! Oh well, at least you can always count on a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fellow young cynic here! I've never had eggs Benedict.. but it looks amazing. :( Do want.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!