Thursday, January 20, 2011

This is a Total Anomaly

Some things are good in theory but perhaps not in practice.  Last night I decided I wanted to remove the nail stickers that you saw on this post.  By the way, a couple of you asked in the comments if I put topcoat on over the nail stickers.  I did not.  I don't know if doing that would lengthen the wear-time, or if the Seche would react weirdly with the sticker or what.  Maybe I'll try it someday.  I didn't want to remove the stickers because they were coming off.  On the contrary, they were still completely stuck on with no peeling whatsoever, even after an additional bath.  I was surprised.  I don't know why I felt compelled to peel them off, but I did (and they came off quickly and easily; no muss, no fuss.  Love them!).  Then I wanted to do my nails, but I was feeling lazy.  I thought, hey, what the hell.  I'll just use a sheer.  So I did.  Meet Color Club Translucent. 



This is the first time that I've shown a true sheer.  What do I mean by true sheer?  I mean that this color cannot be built up, no matter the number of coats.  This is two coats here, plus Seche Vite on top.  It gives my nails a slight pink tint, but other than that it's pretty not noticeable.  I got a little but of fuzz on the nail on my index finger, which is annoying.  Of course that happens when I'm wearing a translucent polish.  Thanks fate.  Anyway, I don't usually wear sheers for a couple reasons.  First, I find them a bit boring.  Second, the white bits of my nails aren't exactly even-looking.  They're a little bit wonky, which is something that I can't help.  I just don't like to show them.  My nails aren't stained at all.  If they look it in these images, it's because the artificial light of my desk lamp is making them look a bit yellow.  Okay, now I'm getting defensive about my nails.  Eh, they're fine.  I just usually don't display them.  

So I don't really know how I feel about this.  Maybe if I had a job interview I would do a look like this, but I would probably go with a nice neutral like RBL Grunge.  I will probably keep Translucent on for a day or two to see if the look grows on me, but I have a feeling that my next manicure will be super vampy to compensate for this sweet-looking sheer.  

Do you guys like this?  Do you wear sheers?  Are you more likely to wear them for formal occasions like job interviews or important meetings?  Like I said, I think I'll stick with my edgy neutrals...

17 comments:

  1. I don't wear sheers. I don't like them at all. I don't really care for neutrals most times either but I have a couple if I ever need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really natural yet has the "I put time on my nails" look. I would do this for a job interview too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, I can't do sheer at all. I try do, but never like this, really sheer. My skin is so pale and it doesn't look nice at all. Also, I have wonky whites too! :) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often just wear basecoat in winter (Nubar Porcelain is a bit milkey). The weather is both so cold and so very humid on here that it is hard (I'd rather say impossible) to get a full manicure dry, especially if the polish is really pigmented and jelly (it's my luck: I so love jelly vampies). So in a way or an other, I'm used to see myself in sheer or transparent. I even love that, but you know it.

    How fond I might be of sheer, I curiously don't like this one, it reminds me of Essie Shop Till I Drop that I so dislike on me. I prefer a classical milky pink French tones.

    Now, I like to see you in sheer, it's a nice change and I love how you can wear everything (yay for not stained nails!). But truth to be told, I prefer you in color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I avoid sheers like the plague because I also have wonky white bits of my nails (also, right now they are super stained)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always think I'll like sheers, but after I put them on I realize I don't! I think the whites of my nails are all lumpy and uneven which was why I picked my my nails for the longest time...now I just cover them so I'm not tempted to "fix" there unevenness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine are so stained, a sheer like that w/little layering life, would be a base/top coat.

    I've got a bunch I use for base coats for swatching.

    Wish I could wear them! It's a fresh look! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's one of my biggest issue right now... lol
    I'll finish law school in a few months and I don't know how I will be able to wear sheer and nude colors to go to work 'cause I don't really like them. Poor little me, right ?! ahahha just kidding.
    I'm more into vampy and bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sheers! I was so surprised to see one on your blog though =P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dovey, I surprise even myself. I'm an eternal mystery. I'm not, really. Just lazy late at night. Sheers are much more forgiving in the manicure-process when I'm a sleepy bunny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love my natural nails, and I don't wear polish all the time. For me, polish is used when the mood strikes. Yeah, the whites of my nails may not all be even, but nobody is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I rarely wear sheers, but sometimes it is nice to be able to actually see my nail. It can be a nice change of pace from covered nails.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to go to a board meeting tomorrow (a first for me) and decided to go with SH XW Concrete!! Aside from job interviews, this is my first "professional" thing in a loooong time. I was also considering wearing CC Love em and Leave em because it's like a holo mannequin hands on me. But in the end I thought of how freaking elegant Concrete is. Edgy neutrals for life!

    ReplyDelete
  14. can't remember last time I've worn a sheer polish. it looks nice on others, except on myself I feel 'naked'

    ReplyDelete
  15. Megan, I do love Concrete. It has been my favorite shade of polish since I got it in September or October. I've worn it more times than I can count, and that's strange for me. I tend to wear polishes once and then forget about them. I think Concrete is a great choice for a meeting. Very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  16. yeah. wonky nails here so not much of sheers except when doing a french manicure

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't wear sheers at all. If I want something subtile, I wear something really soft, beige colour or soft brown or something. Sheers, na-a. Especially since my nails really like to absorb the colours I'm wearing and I'm too lazy to use a base coat. That I don't need, I try to convince mysef, because I use only strong colours. And there's the magic circle. :) But I find sheers boring on me, so they wouldn't last a day on my nails. Congrats on clear not-stained nails! I wish I'd have them too!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!