Saturday, February 12, 2011

China Glaze White Cap (!!!)

I'll be honest with you guys:  Anchors Away did not wow me.  The colors in the set of brights looked pretty standard to me.  Of course Hey, Sailor! immediately drew me in because it's a warm toned red.  I resisted it because I have about a million of those warm toned red cremes (my favorite).  As for the more neutral set, Sea Spray, the pale blue appealed to me.  The more I looked at swatches the more I decided that it resembles Essie Sag Harbor, which I've had for a couple years.  I could be totally wrong about that since I haven't seen them compared, but that nagging feeling that I've seen Sea Spray before wouldn't leave me alone.  The one polish from Anchors Away I knew I'd have to scoop up was White Cap.  I got it yesterday and I am not disappointed.










It's a sheer white jelly with gold glass fleck.  And it is stunning.  I'm so in love with this polish.  I keep staring at my hands in different lighting, admiring the sparkles.  At two coats I could still see a little more of my nail line than I'm usually comfortable with, so I added a third.  The formula was wonderful.  I had no troubles with it.  I can't really rave enough about this polish.  I feel like it makes my hands look fresh and clean without looking boring.  I don't usually layer glitter over other polishes, but I think I'm going to love layering with White Cap.  I think I'll love it enough that I might need a back-up bottle.  Layering ideas include over Essie Marshmallow, over Rescue Beauty Lounge Bikini Bottom and over American Apparel Office.  I can't wait to try one of those out.  I suggest that if you like white, gold, jellies or glass fleck you run out and buy White Cap.  Trust me, you're going to love it.  Also, I'm pretty damn excited to wear this one on my toesies.  I love neutrals on my toes, and this one is a neutral with a little kick to it.  Yay!


It's the weekend and I'm happy.  This past week was taxing.  I've been really emotional and I can't turn my mind off.  Which of course means that I can't sleep.  Which is not good for my, you know, brain function.  My parents are out of town this weekend at their new house in central Ohio and my boyfriend is out of town too.  I'm all alone-y on my own-y.  And what will I do with my Steffie time?  I'll be reading Rembrandt connoisseurship case studies.  Probably as I drink cup after cup of coffee.  But you know what?  My nails are gorgeous and that does help.  Plus if I get enough reading done I'll reward myself by trying out one of the layering combinations I mentioned :)


So tell me, what have you guys thought of Anchors Away?  Are there any colors I overlooked that I should probably go buy?  Are you as smitten with White Cap as I am?  Lastly, does anyone know how close Essie Sag Harbor and China Glaze Sea Spray are?  I'd be interested to know.

17 comments:

  1. This color is definitely being added to my Wish List. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the overall tones of the collection, but none of the colors really were must-haves for me =). White cap is pretty though, I didn't expect it to look that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't really expect it to be this opaque in three coats, but I'm really glad that it is. It's just too purdy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...I thought I could live w/o AA collection, now I want this one!!
    Drat!
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am 100% with you on this. White Cap is the standout of the collection. I have (multiple) backup bottles. The way you love coral is the way I love white polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite from this colection is Ahoy!, but the others look nice too. I saw this one layered over black and it looks freakn cool, you should definitely try this =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This colour is so much prettier then I realised! think I might have to make a polish order soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. colorfulbottle, I'll try layering it over black sometime, but I'm pretty into the soft color aesthetic right now.

    Lesley, you should. Worth it, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The blue is the same as sag harbour- the one that surprised me was the orange in the collection- really cool looking on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first Anchors Away didn't wow me... but now I look at photos of the collection and stuff... I have to say, I love the ENTIRE collection! I love how the some colors are bright, but not IN YOUR FACE, and I love how the "softer" colors don't look that neutral. They are simple finishes but some of them have glass flecks that come under the radar. They are fresh colors(: I love the entire collection, and if I had enough money... i would get the entire collection lol.

    Love this swatch BTW, White Cap is DIFINITELY one of the polishes from this collection that I am going to buy(:

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really pretty, soft but not boring. I think it will be great for layering. I have been playing around with layering, and it is fun to see new colors result.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kelly, maybe I'll go check out the other polishes in the collection again...but none of them really spoke to me. They all look like something I already have. I dug out Sag Harbor yesterday so I wouldn't be tempted to buy Sea Spray :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was not impressed with Anchors away but after seeing this color I am so going to buy it.
    I hear you with the sleeping, since December I'm only getting 4 hrs of sleep each day...no bueno

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wasn't very excited by Anchors Away, either. For me the one color to get was Knotty, which was sort of the wearable version of Classic Camel. Perhaps I'll try layering the two... =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. sparris, I kind of think that Knotty would look terrible on me...but I do love its name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I´m a new "polish addict" since some months ago - so this is my first experience with this brand. :-) I bought White cap (I wear it right now, looks great) and Ahoy! (can´t wait to try that one also) I also like Sea spray and Life preserver from pictures I have seen, but I have to stop myself, so I don´t spent all my money on polish at once! :-D

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!