Tuesday, February 22, 2011

NEW American Apparel MacArthur Park

Good morning, everyone.  I'm getting a slow start this morning; I snoozed my alarm about six times and right now I'm sitting in my bed with coffee.  I don't know what's wrong with me.  I'm getting a haircut at 2:15 and I'm really excited.  I haven't had one since October and my hair is getting unruly.  Anyway, I have another new-ish American Apparel to show you this morning.





MacArthur Park is a weird murky, wasabi/pea soup green.  I don't know what it is about colors like this, but they look amazing on me.  I forgot to take a picture of my whole hand, but you'll have to trust me when I say that this polish looks incredibly elegant despite its ugly-pretty color.  Also, sorry about my cuticles.  My nails have not been faring well lately.  I slammed two of the fingers on my right hand in a door yesterday afternoon and it tore those two nails pretty badly.  Just my luck.  Aaaaanyway, the formula on MacArthur Park was okay.  Kind of thick and a little difficult to work with, but nothing you can't handle.  This is two coats.  I did an experiment yesterday.  I don't get a lot of wear from AA polishes, typically, so I did two coats of color, one coat of Gelous, and then a coat of Seche Vite over that to see if the Gelous extends the wear at all.  I'll report back as to when this chips.  

I know that a lot of these AA polishes are named after places in Los Angeles, and I had absolutely no associations with MacArthur Park UNTIL about two weeks ago.  Two weeks ago I watched an episode from season 4 of Six Feet Under where David gets carjacked.  He gets carjacked and then a crazy man makes him smoke crack IN MACARTHUR PARK.  All I could think was, "Hey, I have a nail polish named after that place with all the crack dealers!"  So now I'm scared of MacArthur Park.  By the way, I only have one season left of Six Feet Under!  Disc one of season five is on its way to me and I can't waaaaaiiiit.  What will I watch when I'm done with this show?  

One more thing:  yesterday I wore my favorite red lipstick.  I wasn't feeling particularly sassy; actually, I was feeling particularly shitty and that's why I wore it.  




MAC Lady Danger.  It's so funny...whenever I read blog entries about red lipstick Lady Danger is always the example of what's an insane red lipstick that no one ever really wears.  Relatively, I wear this one a lot.  In fact, I'll be needing a new tube in the next couple months.  The problem with Lady Danger is that it's a high maintenance lipstick.  I need to apply it with a lip brush, which is a pain in the ass.  And I need to touch it up throughout the day.  It's also matte so it's drying...not something to wear every day, if only for that reason.  But I love it.  It's definitely my favorite lipstick of all time.  Even if I wasn't feelin' sassy, I sure was lookin' it.  

Okay, that's all for today.  Time to get ready for my haircut!!  What do you guys think about MacArthur Park?  Is it too ugly for you?  Do you find shades like this elegant like I do, or is it just me?  I'm crazy about this one.

21 comments:

  1. I call colors like this ugly awesome. I love them. I have a lot of fun because my stepdad HATES them and complains whenever I wear colors like this.
    A few weeks ago I had on RBL No More War when I was ice skating. When we were at Starbucks after skating one of my grandma's skater friends asked "Why aren't your nails a pretty color like usual?" or something like that. It made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this kind of colour. Gorgeous. And I'd rather have thick than thin...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really pretty on you, the only ugly-pretty color I own is Who the Shrek Are You? from OPI and I have't worn it yet... (I know, I know it was released almost a year ago)
    And this lipstick is perfect on you ! I love MAC lipsticks. Have you try MAC Prep+Prime ? Maybe it will help with the drying issue.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  4. O_o I usually dig those colors, but McAP has too much brown in it for me, I think. That is an insane lipstick! I could not rock that. hit me up with the addy you want me to send that coral polish to =)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. funky colour. Isn't 6 feet under great! I loved the series so much I would totally watch it again :) wait till you see how it ends, the last season is super intense!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it on you! I don't know if I could pull it off. I have dark skin so sometimes things like this look spectacular on me, and sometimes not, but I love wearing the unexpected ugly-pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That color is awesome and weird! And you are very pretty with red lips <3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah ah. Crack place, really? I have fantasies about that polish since I first knew it existed but no AA store near me. I love the brown tone. But eh, I have fantasies about every limish greenish peaish polish. Happy happy to see it on you, you made my day, milady. Oh and I DO think such green are elegant, feminine and fresh.

    You+red=awesome. You leave me here making me wonder if it take balls to wear "Lady Danger". Since no one likely dare wearing it, then it might do. But it doesn't make sense since women are not men, right? Ah ah. My fave lipstick is "Russian Red" but same as "Lady Danger": it's a matte and after a while, my lips become uncomfortable, dry and lose their natural plump. Beside applying a touch of red gloss, I'm not sure what can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those ugly colours. They look totally awesome on me too. So ofcourse I have this one. It's so ugly I don't even know where to start and I LOVE it. Truly love it.
    You do look super sassy on the pic. And you do know you'll have to show us pics of new hairdo when you're back, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your hair cut went well. I love colors like MacArthur Park because they look awesome on me!! Also I don't own a bright red lipstick, but really, really want one. I just haven't pulled the trigger because I was afraid I wouldn't have enough opportunity to wear it. Can you wear a bold red lip to work?? I don't know???

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an awesome color! Love it!

    And you've reminded me that I need to start watching Six Feet Under again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lady Danger looks ridiculously good on you! Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to pick up MacArthur Park but I really want to pick it up! I love olivey-pea soup shades =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is definitely my kind of color--love this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's a cute story about your polish and getting a meme from your show. lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love ugly pretty colours. I am very pale so they always seem to work for me. I own more ugly pretty than pretty, actually. Today I was rocking GOSH Miss Mole until I got bored at work and picked it off.

    Love the lipstick too! I wish I could get American Apparel polishes in my tiny town.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This color looks really great on you! I always think the "ugly" colors look so good, but they would look awful on me as my skin tone would not work with them. And the red lipstick looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think everyone should have a bright red lipstick. I'm also partial to Maybelline Color Sesational in Are You Red-dy, which is more of a balanced mid-tone red that leans just the tiniest bit orange. It's a good start for a foray into red...and the Maybellines are a great value.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the nail polish and the lipstick. I really want that AA. RAWR I love ugly colors like that.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know it is so late to comment on this post but I had to giggle about the MacArthur Park name. Before I read your reference to the Six Feet Under episode, I was thinking, "OMG that place is so creepy. It's in a scary part of downtown LA!" The description you gave about that episode is not that far off! Yea Stephanie, if you ever make a trip out here, don't go there!! lol!! Go to the other places that AA refers to, such as Sunset Strip, Palm Springs, Manhattan Beach or Zuma Beach!!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!