Saturday, March 19, 2011

Busting the Myth: CoverGirl Lip Perfection

I know most of you come here to look at what I'm wearing on my hands, but every once in a while I like to share what I'm wearing on my face.  I'm a self-proclaimed lipstick addict.  I will wear almost anything.  Neon orange?  Bring it on.  Dark berries?  Yes please.  Retina-searing pinks?  I'm there.  When I saw the advertisements for the new CoverGirl Lip Perfection lipsticks I knew I had to try them out.  They claim to be moisturizing, and as a MAC addict moisture is something most of my lip products are sorely lacking.  So, here we go.


Product  
CoverGirl Lip Perfection in Hot.  Hot is a neutral red, neither too blue nor too orange.  It applies onto the lips as a semi-matte, meaning it doesn't really apply smoothly in fluid swipes.  If you want shiny lips while using this lipstick, you're going to have to use a gloss with it.  Me, I like mattes (they're my favey-fave) so I was happy with this finish.


Day 1, after a full eight hours of wear, reapplied once


Claim
From the CoverGirl website:  "Enriched with Silk Therapy Complex, our formula helps sustain moisture levels and helps create soft, smooth, beautiful lips in just 7 days (vs. bare lips)."  So, is it true?


The Test
I wore Hot every day for seven days.  I put it on in the morning when I woke up, reapplied it throughout the day as needed, and took it off before bed.  Meaning I wore this lipstick for at least eight hours a day for a week.


Day 1


My Lip Health Before Product Use
Good.  If I'm not wearing lipstick, then I am constantly applying lip balm.  I use Burt's Bees Mango when I'm on the go and an EOS Smooth Sphere when I'm at home (honeydew).  I put on a lot of the EOS before I go to bed, so my lips are generally pretty healthy.  They're not too dry or peel-y and I don't often have problems with chapping.


Results!


The Pros
Staying power.  The biggest pro of this lipstick was that is stayed on FOREVER.  Seriously.  If I put it on at 9 in the morning I did not have to touch it up until after I ate something for lunch.  Even then it still looked good, just a bit faded.  The true test was when I was wearing this lipstick and eating a Jimmy Johns sandwich.  It's pretty difficult to eat a sub and not have your lipstick go everywhere, right?  It still looked great after I was done with my Totally Tuna.  It was at that point that I was kind of amazed.  The stuff just really, really stays on.


Pigmentation.  It's pretty insanely pigmented.  Even though it doesn't quite go on smoothly, one or two swipes will give you the color you see in the tube.  It's so pigmented that after I take it off my lips are stained pink.  Water doesn't help.  Soap and water doesn't help.  Makeup remover helps a little.  What really helps is whitening toothpaste rubbed into my lips and then rinsed off.  I wasn't sure whether to put this in the pro or con section, but I decided that staining isn't that big a deal and just indicates the quality of the product. 


Even fading.  When Hot faded, it faded evenly.  There was no weird patchiness on my lips, and I appreciated that.


The price.  You can find these for between $6 and $8 depending on where you get them.  I got mine at Walgreens and they were BOGO 50% off, so I paid like $12 or so for two.  Not bad, especially for something so long-wearing.  You definitely won't use up these tubes too quickly. 


The compliments.  I love this color.  I got a lot of compliments on it.  My boyfriend liked it.  That in and of itself makes it a bit of a win.


Day 2
The Cons
Drying.  I think that my test busted CoverGirl's claim about revitalizing the lips in seven days.  I found this lipstick to be incredibly drying, but that's par for the course with mattes or semi-mattes like Hot.  Still, CoverGirl's main claim is that these are super hydrating, not, "Oh hey, SOME of these lipsticks are very hydrating.  Guess which ones!"  Meaning that even though Hot is semi-matte, it should still conform to CoverGirl's claim.  I found Hot to be the opposite of super hydrating.  After a few hours the lipstick started to feel cake-y on my lips, the telltale sign that it's drying out.  Ew.


Day 3, nighttime 


On Day 4 I put the lipstick on at around 9am, after I'd had my coffee.  By 4pm I was wanting desperately to take it off, my lips felt so dry.  I dutifully waited until 5pm, so that I had been wearing it a full eight hours.  I slathered my lips in some Burt's Bees Mango right after I took it off to try to alleviate the dryness.  


Day 4, right before emergency dryness removal.  That's my sad god-dammit-my-lips-are-dry face.



It feathers.  So, when I use a lipstick, in order to prevent feathering I always use the same thing:  Urban Decay 24/7 Lipliner in Ozone.  It's a clear, waxy liner which means you can use it with any lipstick.  It's a must, ladies.  Seriously.  But I guess that rave is for another day.  Anyway, Ozone always prevents feathering on me.  Always.  But it didn't with Hot, as you can see in the above close-up of my lips.  I don't know why this happened (every day!) but I have to blame it on the lipstick and not my liner.  It could just be this particular color because it's so saturated, but I don't know for sure.


It smells like lipstick.  Not much to say here.  It doesn't smell like anything per se, like how the Maybelline ColorSensationals kind of smell like vanilla and honey.  It just smells synthetic.  And it tastes...not pleasant. 


Day 5


Overall!
I'm going to take the cop-out way here and just tell you that it really depends on what you want in a lipstick.  If you're looking for a lipstick that's inexpensive and really, really long-wearing, go for one of these new CoverGirls.  If you're actually looking for something that will improve the health of your lips, just put on some damn lip balm because I certainly don't think these are going to do it for you.  My tube of Hot, although I LOVE the color and the staying power, was a fail in terms of what it was advertised to do.  Don't get me wrong, I love this lipstick and I'm really glad I have it.  It just didn't give me smoother lips in seven days.  If anything my lips are drier than usual.  


Day 6 (no, I'm not naked; that's just a tank-top covered by my huge amount of hair)


Okay, hope that helped anyone who was on the fence about these.  I tried to be as thorough as possible.  Have you guys tried these lipsticks?  Opinions?  Am I totally wrong?  Let's hear it.

7 comments:

  1. Hahaha, your review was hilarious. Thanks so much darling. After going 24 years without ever wearing lip stick. I've just started with a little bit of light pinky sparkleness. Your review has been super helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I <3 your lipstick entries! I've been lemming Lady Danger since you posted on it a while ago. For this post, I think the Day2 pic is striking! The observation about "hydrating" lipsticks is so true--- I don't think anything can rival a balm (esp. burt's bees!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the review! I own Dazzle and it's a bit of a douchromey sheer pinky purple (if that makes sense). I DO NOT WEAR LIPSTICK!! But I do love this one! I like sheer l/s if any. I am a tinted lipbalm/lipgloss girl. I do think that it's drying but not so bad as other drugstore l/s. I don't own any MAC or really high end ones so I can't compare.
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right about the staying power. These suckers do NOT go anywhere! The other day, I wore Siren to work, and went to rub it off to go to the gym. Didn't happen. So I was "that girl" who had lipstick on at the gym.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who says lipstick isn't appropriate at the gym? Rock it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 2 shades from this line but mine are both shimmers. i can't remember the colors off the top of my head, but for me, they were super moisturizing! I didn't even use chapstick when I wasn't wearing the lipstick and I felt like my lips were softer after 7 days. I also didn't experience feathering. Maybe it is just the mattes?

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!