Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Coral Fixation: OPI Guy Meets Gal-veston

Oh holy shit, it's March.  And thank goodness.  I am a firm believer that in Cleveland, February is BY FAR the most miserable month of the year.  We get the most snow and it's the coldest.  When it hits March, I can see an end to nuclear winter in sight.


Alright, so!  Here begins my series on coral polishes which I am calling Coral Fixation because I am obviously adorable.  I'm not sure where my obsession with all things coral came from.  Pretty much everyone who's a regular in the blogosphere knows about my love for coral because I like to shout about it a lot.  I don't know if I'll decide to do Coral Fixation on a certain day of the week or what...we'll see how things go, shall we?


I thought I'd start with a new one I've never worn before, OPI Guy Meets Gal-veston.  I know you've all seen these about a thousand times in the past ten or so days, because everyone has been rushing to post Texas, but stick with me.  You've never seen it on these albino hands.





OPI is marketing six of the polishes in its new spring collection as "sorbet" finishes.  I suppose that's clever marketing if you're going for a demographic that doesn't know about the various polish finishes.  But for those of us who do know, we're all aware that "sorbet" is just another cutesy name for jelly.  So let's not beat around the bush.  I'm not going to call these Texas polishes "sorbets" because I think that's kind of silly.  

Guy Meets Gal-veston is a pink-leaning coral jelly.  It's very shiny, even without topcoat.  Jellies are semi-sheer, which is what gives them that squishy look when you use coats to build up opacity, so if you're not comfortable with being able to see your nail line, skip this one.  This is three coats and my nail line is still clearly visible.  Weirdly, I'm not as crazy about this color as I thought I would be.  I think it's just a tad too pink for me.  But it's still coral, and that means it's pretty awesome by default.

Remember last week when I told you guys that I was going to try a coat of Gelous between the color and topcoat of my American Apparel MacArthur Park manicure?  Well, here are the results.




These were taken yesterday after I had worn the polish for a complete seven days.  I couldn't have picked a better time to do a wear test since I got sick on day three and I didn't have the energy or desire to change my polish.  As you can see, the only evidence of wear is on the tips.  I'm going to call this Gelous technique a win.  No American Apparel polish has EVER lasted that long on me.  Wait, scratch that.  No polish has ever lasted that long on me.  Hallelujah, it's a miracle!

Won't you not be my neighbor?
Can I just vent for a minute?  I fucking hate my downstairs neighbors.  Last night they BLASTED music for over and hour.  And I mean BLASTED.  I could feel the building shaking. Then after they FINALLY turned it down I had to listen to two of them having sex right below my bedroom.  Hey idiots, usually you turn on loud music so your neighbors DON'T hear you having sex.  Then this morning one of them was watching Fox News with the volume turned up to about a million decibels.  Are you KIDDING ME, downstairs neighbors?  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  Okay, here ends my rant.

That's all for today.  I'm feeling just slightly better, sickness-wise, and today is the last day that I'm able to just lie around and do nothing, because tomorrow my week starts in earnest.  But my spring break starts Friday, so I'm definitely thankful for that.  What's your opinion on OPI Guy Meets Gal-veston?  Are you loving or leaving the jelly finishes OPI is offering for spring?

Happy March!

13 comments:

  1. Guy meets Gal-veston rocks on your skintone! Feel better! oh, and to answer your q about glitter in the air, the picture was 2 coats =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry but your neighbor rant made me laugh. I used to live above this older couple, and the man had a deep booming voice that I could hear almost as plain as day. Especially at 530 am. ....
    I'm excited for your coral series, as I really got into corals last year and am excited to dig them out again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is this gelous and where can I get it. Email me the deets, woman!! Pronto!

    And jerk neighbours. Should bang the floor repeatedly when they're sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha--- the rant made me laugh too. The idea of a coral jelly is ... yum

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really looking forward to your coral series as it is also my favorite color family!

    I do love jelly finishes but I think this one leans too pink for me.

    Btw, about your neighbours...you have the advantage of living ABOVE them ;) (evil laugh)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What i coincedence! I'm actually wearing the same polish as you! I got all the sorbets from the collection and did a blogpost on it today.

    Go check it out!
    http://pmays.blogspot.com/2011/03/nail-polish-haul.html

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neighbours usually are idiots :P.

    I agree that "sorbet" finish is a stupid made up thing, I'd call it sorbet if it was jelly with glasfleck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these sheer jellies, I weirdly quite like VNL under corally pinky colours. I don't know why as I don't really like it in other colours :s thank you for sharing the pictures, may have to try out the Gelous tip oneday! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. It makes me feel so good when everyone else calls my neighbors jerks too. Someday I will devise a method to annoy them as much as they annoy me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also had to laugh about the neighbors. I could swear our upstairs neighbors practice tap dance right when the kiddo is taking a nap!
    Oh, and the fights, dont get me started on those

    ReplyDelete
  11. My dad cracks me up, when the neighbours downstairs bother him he throws steel pots on the floor, without a carpet believe me they can hear that. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is this Gelous stuff you speak of and where can I buy it?

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!