Saturday, April 23, 2011

Essie Fiji

Pictures first, babbling second. 






Let me tell you a little story about Essie Fiji.  One day I was sitting in the art history lounge at the University of Chicago, probably reading before class, when in walked this chic-looking graduate student.  She sat down on the couch across from me and started flipping through an auction catalogue.  She had this gorgeous but stark baby pink on her nails that just complemented her skin tone so well.  So for the first time in my life I said to her, "Excuse me, what's on your nails?"  She told me it was Essie Fiji.  Now, this was maybe three years ago.  I had never heard of Essie.  So I went home and Googled it.  Eight bucks! I thought, dismayed.  I'm not paying eight bucks for a nail polish.  Little did I know that I would soon be paying upwards of twenty bucks for Chanel, but that's beside the point.  

Anyway, Essie Fiji was truly my first lemming.  When I finally got it my roommates and I used it for weeks, so my bottle is pretty well loved.  I recently lent it to my friend here in Cleveland and it looks so nice on her.  I was going to just give it to her, because I am wont to give my things away to people if I know that they love them more than I do, but she insisted on giving it back.  So I put it on last night.  And I do still like it.  It's a pastel, obviously, so the formula is a huge pain in the ass.  What you see in the pictures is three coats.  It's a good color for Easter, right?

Who would have thought that it was a light, pastel baby pink that would have started my nail polish obsession?  Thanks, Fiji.  You created a monster.

Thoughts on Fiji?  On Essie pastels?  On anything?  How are you guys doing?  I miiiiiiiss you!

15 comments:

  1. $8! for a nail polish..haha love the story. I did an easter manicure today, all pastel spring colours, it's pretty cute. I love essie too, don't have Fiji, but it's on my list of ones to get! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun story! :) im a sucker for pastels! so I definitely need to pick up a bottle of Fiji~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love Fiji as well. I saw it on a friend and just had to buy it. It's SUCH a pain to put on. So streaky. But the color is too damn pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, that's a really sweet story. I can totally relate to the initial sticker shock and then, consequently breaking down and dropping way more on polish regularly now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. graduate students? Chic? impossible! =P

    What a fun story--- I think Essie Mint Candy Apple was one of my first lemmings, but not the first. I think I'll have to try and remember my first polish love now...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun fact! Sinful Colors Easy Going is a very close dupe for Essie Fiji. And $6 cheaper!

    Dovey, art history graduate students are almost always impossibly chic-looking. It's hard to keep up most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute story =) I always look forward to your posts, they make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks nice! I have kinda been wanting a pink like this. I might have to look out for Sinful Easy Going.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YOU are one of the reasons I'm nail polish obsessed. I am rocking Black with Envy right now, you need some of this in your life! Thanks for the Sinful dupe alert! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought this Essie for my daughter for Easter! http://www.essie.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=40

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, thank you for missing me, but it feels a little like stalking. *wink* For some odd reason I found myself leaning to colors that I've would have never tried: Toes are Orly Cotton candy- which oddly looks coral-y. Wearing a glittery pink french manicure from zoya- I'm too lazy to see the name.
    I'm in love with this color you have though, and is usually not me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I looove Fiji!! Preferably on my toes. It's harder to see any streaks and it makes my feet look tan!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fiji was one of my first nail polish loves as well. I think it was close to 10 years ago!
    I'm wearing it right now. I decided to revisit the color recently because I have a slight tan and Fiji does compliment tan skin... but I actually hate it now!! It isn't doing anything for me. LOL weird how tastes change over the years.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!