Friday, June 03, 2011

Are You Guys Sick of OPI PotC Yet?

I hope not, because I finally tried out my pick from the Pirates of the Caribbean collection.  Besides Silver Shatter I only picked one, and it was kind of a no-brainer.





I am absolutely crazy about Stranger Tides.  As soon as I finished applying it I decided that I should probably get a back-up bottle.  That is serious business, friends.  Serious.  Polish.  Business.  I really am smitten.  I don't even really know how to describe this one.  Maybe kind of a dirty, dusty mint/sage green?  It's just murky enough for me to consider it to be kind of neutral, and it looks great with a black outfit (which I know because I am wearing all black today).  I used three coats here, and for what is essentially a pastel the formula was fantastic.  This is a such a smash hit for me.  I can't believe I let it sit unused for a couple weeks.  I can't wait to put it on my toes!

Summer is pretty much in full swing here in Cleveland.  It's often the case that during the winter I never believe that summer will come, but then once it hits I just want it to go the hell away.  On Tuesday the temperature hit 95 degrees around 3pm.  I live in an un-air-conditioned third-floor walk-up in a mid-twentieth century building.  When I walked into my apartment at 10pm the heat was just absolutely stifling.  Stifling enough that it made me completely lethargic and I just collapsed on my bed, unsure of how to handle the sauna I was obliged to live in.  Eventually I dragged myself to my couch to sleep in the living room, where there are more windows to open.  That was an unpleasant evening.  I now am the proud owner of a little window a/c unit (thank you, dad!) that my maintenance people need to come install on Monday.  Seriously, if the heat was that bad the last day of May, I shudder to think of what will happen in July and August.  


On Wednesday it cooled down to about 82 or so, and I ate my lunch outside.  Here's the nice grassy oval in front of the Cleveland Museum of Art.  Really pretty.  Over to the right you can see my favorite food cart.  This lady is in front of the museum pretty much every day in the spring/summer/fall (as long as it's over 50 degrees).  Best.  Gyros.  Ever.  



Also, my boyfriend has the ability, if he so chooses, to make me extraordinarily happy with really simple little gestures.  He brought me flowers on Thursday night, but I was sleeping when he came in (I am either suffering from insanely terrible allergies or a summer cold).  I saw them in the morning and was so delighted.  Aren't they pretty?  :)  They actually don't smell like too much, but I like sniffing them anyway.

Anyway, that's all.  I thought I'd do a bit of a longer post today because I've been skimping on the blog lately.  I am busier than I thought I would be.  

Does anyone have any thoughts on Stranger Tides?  Is anyone as smitten as I am?  I'm just really crazy about this one.  I'm so glad I picked it up!

20 comments:

  1. I loved that stranger tides!!! awesome colour!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is! I'm so excited about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have Stranger Tides BUT I do have Da Bush(they're pretty similar) and I absolutely adore it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Stranger Tides but I haven't tried it yet!! Ah. I wish I had it with me but I don't. I'm house sitting for a week and only brought a couple polishes. Maybe next week!

    Sorry about you over-heating, but oh man that sounds so nice to me. I loveee hot weather. It hasn't even gotten to 70 degrees yet here. It's supposed to tomorrow but I don't believe it. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Stranger Tides, but I also have Essie Da Bush. They are really close, but not dupes, so I'm having a hard time deciding whether or not to purge one of them (and if so, which one). If you're going to get a backup of ST, maybe you should checkout the Essie to see if it you like a smidge better ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. cilucia, I've been wanting Da Bush since I saw swatches of that little collection, but I haven't been able to get to Ulta. Soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have stranger tides, but I haven't worn it yet, either. I was really hoping to try it this weekend if I have time for a full mani/pedi. I know bottle color isn't always representative, but I held Da Bush and ST next to each other in the store and couldn't see a difference. Maybe on the nail they're different, but not $8 different! (At least not to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to try that color now, love your flowers & am glad you are getting AC!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't resist Mermaid's Tears, but Stranger Tides is slowly creeping up in my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stranger Tides is goregous!! The only color that I picked up was Planks-a-lot. I am surprised at how much I like it, I never wear lavander/purple!! But it's murky enough to sort of look grey in certain lights. I really want to get Mermaid Tears.... but now I might have to get this shade as well, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eerie color! I've avoided Stranger Tides so far, but I've had my eye on skull and glossbones for a while =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone!

    Kelly, I was actually surprised how attracted I was to almost every color in this collection. It's funny, because when I see the description "pastel" I usually run the other way, but these are all slightly murky and weird, which kind of draws me to them. The only one I wasn't crazy about is Mermaid's Tears. Those aqua-ish colors really do nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I ordered a bottle, but haven't worn it yet. Not at all fed up with this collection though, I just seem to be unable to actually wear any polish when it's new. Takes a couple of months usually. I'll probably get round to it in, say, September...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stranger Tides is definitely the underdog of this whole collection! I picked up all 6, and this is the one I was initially the least excited about but it is now my absolute favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. sparris, that's usually how I am. For example, I ordered RBL Catherine H back in August of 2010 and I've only just gotten around to wearing it right now ;) Yikes.

    Anonymous, yes! Stranger Tides FTW! I just put it on my toes and I've fallen even more deeply in love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay so forewarning this may be a long comment.

    Is it totally sad when I saw how ugly/pretty ST was I immediately thought of you and your blog?! I knew you'd die for the color, because I literally can't stop wearing it and I'm mildly convinced we're the same person. Since I picked up the bottle a couple weeks ago, I have barely been able to take it off my fingers. And a random but fun fact: I also work at a Coffee Inc. and get compliments on how well it matches the cup color!

    Also just wanted to let you know you HAVE to get Skull & Glossbones. I originally wasn't all that excited about it since I have about 3042 grey polishes (but of course I still got it because I'm afraid the world will end before I've found that perfect steel-y hue), but was super excited to find that after wearing it, it's got this sort of beige-y, taupe-y color to it. I'm obsessed.

    This whole murky POTC has been ridiculously exciting for me actually, minus the fact that I feel like I already own everything but S&G, ST and Mermaid's Tears. But hey, being excited about three whole polishes out of an OPI collection is reason enough!

    Love the blog, keep doing what you do girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lindsey, I love your comment, thanks! Yes, this color is riiiiight up my alley. I just picked up Essie Da Bush because I loved ST so much, so we'll see how they compare. I'll consider Skull & Glossbones, but I'm not a huge fan of gray...I'll check it out in the store.

    I wonder if our Coffee Incs are the same. Mine isn't Starbucks, but another franchise that's pretty big in Ohio and Minnesota.

    Thank you again! You're so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so in love with Stranger Tides I am planning to paint a wall in my new bedroom the same color. I am wearing it CONSTANTLY as a two-color mani alternating with lavender, pink, gold, darker army green, taupe, grey... it makes me soooo happy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi~
    I'm wondering whether I should get it too... I'm looking for one that leans more green. Does the actual polish leans greener or beige/greige?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Samantha, I can definitely tell that it's green when it's on, if that answers your question. If you want one that's slightly darker and cooler toned, go for Essie Da Bush.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!