Monday, July 18, 2011

Black Label: OPI Up the Amazon Without A Paddle (and Flamingos!!)

Today I wanted to wear a polish inspired by the newest addition to my wardrobe.  Pink was called for, but I just couldn't pick one.  Finally I decided on a pink that, in the bottle at least, has orange-y, coral-y undertones, OPI Up the Amazon Without A Paddle.



Sadly I clearly had issues with this polish.  First of all, super sheer.  I did four coats (the fourth coat was a mistake because it caused bubbles).  Then I ended up getting sheet marks.  Because of the four coats it took FOR-EV-ER to dry.  Also there's no sun here today, which is a bummer.  I'm sure this bad boy would sparkle nicely.  Anywho, this is a long discontinued OPI, but if you've been lemming it I think that it might be REALLY SIMILAR to Sally Hansen HD Wavelength.  I think Wavelength is still available in drug stores, so don't despair.  This frosty, light orange-y pink isn't really my jam, so I don't think this polish will stay on too long.  BUT I wanted to wear it because...it reminds me of flamingos!  Let me explain.

Last week I was browsing for skirts online.  I had something very specific in mind, and that very specific thing was essentially a retro-looking circle skirt.  So I looked.  And I looked.  I couldn't find what I wanted.  My friend Amber's mom is a wonderful seamstress, so I e-mailed her to see if she could whip something up for me.  And whip something up she did (it was done in a matter of hours once I delivered the fabric).  

Here's the fabric I chose.  It's classic Stephanie.  Repeated animal print, a little whimsical, slightly ridiculous.  I feel no shame.


And here's how it turned out.  Perfect!




And even at twenty-four years old I am still VERY concerned with the twirl-ability of a skirt.  This one has a high twirl-ability rating.  At least a 9.  



Amber's mom, Sharon, is one of the sweetest people I've ever known and she was so happy to make this for me.  I couldn't be happier with how it turned out!  It's so cute.  I can't wait to wear it to work on Tuesday.  

So that's all for today.  Does anyone have Up the Amazon Without A Paddle?  Is this pink anyone's jam?  And be honest:  who is jealous of my flamingo skirt?

14 comments:

  1. I like the OPI, but I would recommend that you add thinner and try it again before giving it up. That usually tends to help.
    I LOVE your skirt!!! Everything from the print to the twirlability (which I agree is definitely a high point!) Great job Amber's mom! You rock it!
    Please let us know the comments that you receive on the skirt when you wear it to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of your flamingo skirt. It is awesome. That looks like a pretty color, but it sucks about the sheerness, bubbles, and dry time. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun skirt! I've not seen this OPI before; it does seem to resemble Wavelength, though I can't remember if that's one of the HDs that got clearanced recently or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That name is soo funny. XD I'm a huge fan of flowy dresses and skirts, and the flamingos are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a pretty polish & your skirt is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are NEVER too old to consider skirt twirlability. I was in a wedding recently (I'm 30 and the other bridesmaids were 31/32), and we got to pick our own dresses in the same color. I was the envy of the bridal party because of the excellent swirl *my* dress came with! Also, that skirt is adorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the skirt! Fabric, twirlability, everything. I'm 37, still lovin' the twirliness in a skirt. The nail color looked good on you, but yeah, that's a shame about the application. At least it matches the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely twirlable! The flamingo is outrageous, but I'm sure very Stephanie =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous skirt. I'm 32 and still need my skirts to have twirl, nothing at all worng with that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The twirl is clearly the best part ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I revisited this shade when corals really were being called out as 'this summer's accessory shade - right after anything Honeysuckle a la Pantone. I had trouble with it too. My go to coral pink has been Essies your Hut or Mine - ya gotta have a bottle of it and swap out some of your less than great coverage corals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. mega jealous! i love that some are flying!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a nice fabric!!! I love flamingos and their soft pink color and if you will ever get tired of this beauty just give a call ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!