Tuesday, July 26, 2011

China Glaze Gussied Up Green

With all the hubbub happening over the fall 2011 China Glaze Metro Collection (notably, see swatches here and here) I thought it might be nice to show a really well-known polish from an autumn collection of yesteryear (since it's likely that I won't get my hands on any new polish releases for a while).  Gussied Up Green is probably one of the most popular polishes from the Rodeo Diva Collection, released in the fall of 2008.  I took a lot of photos of this one because it has a lot of personality. 







Wait, I thought this polish was green?  Psych, sometimes it's teal!



Gussied Up Green is a really lovely darkened forest green absolutely packed with shimmer.  In normal lighting it does look kind of dark, but stick your hand in the sun and you've got a lovely, lit from within forest green happening.  And at the right angle this polish is teal.  WHUUUUUT?!!?  It's.  So.  Pretty.  



In the bottle you can see purple and blue duochrome.  Again, WHUUUUT?!?!.  Bananas.  The formula on this is okay.  It's from around the time when companies were perfecting their Big 3 Free formulas, so Gussied Up Green is a little runny...but completely opaque in two coats, which is what you see in the photos above.



One reason I wanted to bust out Gussied Up Green is because this weekend I got this faaaaabulous belt that's brown, orange, black, mustard and forest green.  I'm wearing it with my orange H&M poofy skirt and I wanted my nails to complement the ensemble.  Normally I don't put that much thought into matching my nails to my outfits, but today it just seemed right.  


Sorry I didn't get my shoes in the photo.  They're boring, though.  Tiny black wedges.  I'm just not that adept with the self-timer and it was early in the morning before work.  Everything I'm wearing here is from H&M (belt, skirt, tank).  PS this skirt was pockets.  I love it.

So there you have it, friends.  A beloved polish from one of the best collections of all time.  I wonder if Metro will even come close to Rodeo Diva.  My guess is no, but I love to be surprised.  So tell me, what are your feelings about our old friend Gussied Up Green?  Do you have a favorite Rodeo Diva polish?  A favorite fall release?  Spill. 

18 comments:

  1. So what is the twirl factor on this skirt???? Love this outfit-how does this color differ from China Glaze Emerald Sparkle? ( I think that's the name of what I'm thinking about!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like an awesome skirt for twirling :D! Love the polish, love the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that skirt! I'm on the hunt for something in the same color myself, but a tad more fitted. And my favorite Rodeo Diva polish is probably either Rodeo Fanatic or Red Stallion ... jury's still out on Midnight Ride, and I couldn't get into Gussied Up Green, though your pics *really* make me wish I could! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rodeo Diva was before my polish-lovin days, so I didn't know it existed until I saw all your older posts on it--but GUG is definitely my favorite from it because I am a green whore. Fall collections in general are always my favorite, I guess because it's my favorite season.
    And I love your outfit! I need to shop at H&M more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh man, I adore that skirt! I'm wearing a peachy-orange ikat tank right now and I'm lusting after that skirt :)

    My fave from Rodeo Diva is absolutely, hands down, Wagon Trail. I'm really getting excited to try and get my hands on Trendsetter. I'm thinking it's going to be freeking awesome. Yes, I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twirl factor is decent, but there is less fabric here than a true circle skirt, so it's a little less twirly, a little more poofy.

    Everyone seems to be pretty into this skirt, so I'll tell you about it! It comes in two colors: this poppy-orange and a nice neutral brown (both of which I own). The skirt comes with a brown belt (so I now have two skinny brown belts). It's $29.95 and was in the store last time I was (so...Saturday). If you've been looking for kind of a vintagey looking skirt, this one is it so run out and buy it. Plus, you know, it has pockets ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy cow what a gorgeous green that is! I think that will be making its way to my nails this fall!

    Half of me wants summer to last for as long as it can but the other half doesn't mind seeing fall around the corner because of all the fun dark and rich colours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this shade..it's more chic than is Emerald Fitzgerald. Don't give up on laying your hands on the CG fall 2011 bottles sometime soon. I totally surprised myself and landed Skyscraper (not my first pick if others had been there - but it was all they had and I could not help myself but to buy it). The shop keeper thought a rep had left it there and they just put it up for sale as they did not have any of the other shades yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers, Emerald Sparkle is totally different. It's an emerald green as opposed to a forest green, and it's a jelly with glitter as opposed to a shimmer. They're both worth having if you're into greens. Man, 2008 really was a great year for this company; that's when Sleigh Ride (with Emerald Sparkle) came out, too.

    Sondra, I don't want summer to be over, just my summer responsibilities. I want a week or two where I just have to do nothing and worry about nothing. I know that's a lot to ask. but that's just...what I want! I love fall, but fall means that another semester starts for me and I'm just not ready for that. At all. There is nothing better, though, than a summer morning. Being up around 6 or 7 and feeling that sun on you before it gets too hot...and I'm waxing poetic now so I'll stop ;)

    beachgal, don't worry. I'll be picking up some of the fall collection. I probably just won't have time for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohmygosh this color is gorgeous!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe I meant emerald Fitzgerald like beach gal said? I was away from my polishes when I wrote that-

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rodeo Fanatic, hands down and definitely in my all time Top 5. I think it was in my first H2T order when the collecting bug bit. I don't wear it often because I spend all my time staring at my nails and it makes people think I'm weird. I AM weird, but I prefer not to be quite so obvious about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm actually wearing GUG right now! I love how it's black-but-not-really indoors, and so brilliant in the sun. Have you tried it as a pedi?

    As for fall collections it's really only ZOYA that has caught my eye so far. Metro has one or two interesting colors but I think I need to see them IRL to make up my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh I love your outfit! I couldn't pull that off. The polish is gorgeous too. I'm sad I missed that collection :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. It does remind me of Emerald Fitzgerald too that others have talked about above here. I like the teal that is in the dark forest green of this one. It changes it up. We never had any Sally's for hundreds of miles until just this past year. Now I can get to one - but like the drugstores around here - the teens hit it up daily after school I think. Between them and the staff that works there and saves stuff for their friends, they are always major picked over on all the new incoming ltd collection polishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Head2Toe still has all of the Rodeo Diva collection except for Branding Iron. $3 + reasonable S&H.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I own over 50 green nail polishes, and this one is by far my favourite <3

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!