Friday, August 19, 2011

Black Label: OPI Peel Me A Gobi Grape

Forgive me for showing you this polish.  I ask your forgiveness because I know that this one is really pretty difficult to find.  And when one does run across it, it usually goes for a not insignificant amount of dollars.  But I've been sitting on this one for a while.  So here she is.







I did a bit of research, and OPI Peel Me A Gobi Grape is apparently from a 1998 collection.  1998.  I was twelve years old when this polish came out.  It's obviously long discontinued.  It's a really, really nice red-based purple...maybe kind of a light plum...with bronze-y, gold-y shimmer throughout.  It's a stunner and it's perfect for falltimes.  Clearly this one has the old OPI skinny brush and the old OPI chemical-laden formula.  The formula was fine, but it was a little lumpy (probably because the polish has been sitting around for like a decade).  I used two coats and I was good to go.  

I've had this polish since the winter when a reader, Gail, sent me a box full of old OPIs.  I wanted to wait until I had really nice sunlight to use it, and I think that late August/early September is a great time to wear this one; leading right into fall, this purple with gold shimmer is a great transition from summer to autumn, and from the bright happy colors I've been wearing for the past couple months to the somber, darker tones I plan to use in my wardrobe come fall [read:  when school starts I will be wearing mostly black--or brown tweed.  It's a toss-up].  

23 comments:

  1. Really beautiful and perfect for Fall!
    Concerning price, when I opened the Ebay link I almost fainted!! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that from the Painted Desert collection? I totally have one from that collection, too--mine is called Sonora Sunset. I was 11 in 1998, so it boggles my mind as well. Gobi Grape is way prettier though haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really pretty! I'm sure there is a cheaper dupe out there somewhere maybe????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the shimmer in this! It's a shame it's long discontinued because it's gorgeous. Glad you showed it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Painted Desert was the collection out when I went to nail school in '98 (I was 18...not *quite* as young as you! haha) so it always carried a special place in my heart! I loved this one! Damn, I wish I saved a bottle back then...if I knew then what I know now.....
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow what a pretty color! That gold glitter is SO gorgeous. It's amazing that came out in 1998, it looks like something that could easily be released now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Also after going through more nail blogs this is kinda like the purple version of the Este Lauder Metalic Sage that Scrangie just posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome color, gorgeous shimmer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want this one! amazing color

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That is absurdly beautiful. First pics of this I've seen that made me NEED it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty!! I love the shimmer. Totes scared to open that ebay link... :) I graduated from high school in 1998. I was completely clueless about polish back then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky! I wish someone would send me a bunch of old OPIs...if there are others, please show us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one managed to survive my many purges of my collection I think because even when I underappreciated the name, I still thought the color worked. Now with all the collectors of OPI, I have a super hard time purging my stash. I also have a few others from the Painted Desert Collection - I have a few left from before they even named collections but just had 3 that came out a year. Keep the black labels coming. They are interesting and also the Web needs them for reference. eBay goes down but you can help create archives forever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE to know what all was in that OPI box of old polishes. Even if you don't want to swatch them all - be great if you put them on a list and we could ask for photos, or if you need, we could help you do the research on what collection & vintage they are from.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Forgiven! Happy for you, it's a real beauty! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. So beautiful! I like seeing the gorgeous hard-to-find polishes because you never know when you'll find a dusty bottle somewhere... By the way, this is my favorite nail polish blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now I'm lusting after this! Any available colors that come close?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tardy to the party, but this looks amazeballs on you. Go on, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so lucky! what a gorgeous polish!

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE to know what all was in that OPI box of old polishes.loved this one! Damn, I wish I saved a bottle back then...if I knew then what I know now.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just saw this color and post on Pinterest. I fell in love with the color and WANT it! So sad to find out how old it is. Any suggestions on a color that might come close? I looked on Amazon and if I want to purchase a collection @ $48 I can get a bottle...WHAT? Not happening! Someone should contact OPI and tell them what they are missing...SALES! Thanks for inspiring me to the hunt for the perfect polish.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!