Thursday, September 08, 2011

Essie Very Structured

The tale of my acquiring Essie Very Structured is one of last-minute decisions.  I was at Target with my boyfriend and we were both school supply shopping.  He was holding a basket and probably walking toward office supplies.  I'm sure that he turned his back for one second and I was gone, scampering off toward beauty supplies (a girl has her priorities, let's be honest).  Once there I was confronted with the Essie fall collection, and within seconds I had snatched Very Structured off the display.  It's not my usual type of color, and that's why I picked it.  I scampered back to my boyfriend, held it right in front of his face and said, "For Steffie?"  He begrudgingly let me drop it into the basket and bought it for me.  I was ecstatic.  It was his first [coerced] gift of nail polish to me.




Unfortunately this color does absolutely nothing for me.  If Very Structured were a crayon I feel like it would be called Mahogany.  It's a red-leaning brown.  Very autumnal.  The formula was absolutely superb.  This was two really flawless coats.  As soon as my mom noticed my nails while I was wearing this one she asked what it was.  I think this polish might go live with her now.  She has a warmer skin tone than I do, and a color like this is right up her alley.  

To conclude, I love this polish because my boyfriend bought it for me, but...ugh.  It's just not me.  Maybe next time I can get him to buy me something that's actually pretty on.

14 comments:

  1. I feel this collection is a miss from Essie, except for that green/gray dark one, all the other colors seem hard to pull off, or boring. Or both. Maybe I will eat my words later on but I'm just not feeling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will agree that this color isn't a glamour color; it is a 'safe' autumn shade. But, it does like quite nice on your nails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See I totally disagree! I am really digging Very Structured. It has become one of my favorite shades. It really does look like old fashioned driving gloves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Strange choice! I didn't expect to see such a color on you, yet I enjoy the fact you went out of the Steph zone. It's not so bad on you in fact, it's just very different from the idea I have of you and your usual attractions. Not something I would wear either...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was not feeling the vibe of this collection when I first saw it. I bought this and the dark green/gray. But as swatches came out, the rest of the collection grew on me and all ended up in my stash. They have some great shades. I really like the updated Very Structured gives us from the old OPI and Apple Pie and OPI's Jinger Bells (and one other OPI I have in that same range I get out every fall. This just takes some time. We went from all the brights of summer and spring. If like most, when you worse some fall shades, you went for 'safe' shades in darker blues, army greens. Try this on your toes. It really will come to you is my guess. It's like a great shoe/purse shade they called cognac. It really fits in this purse collection. Classic shade for purses and shoes for fall/winter. Just right now, fashion is all about the nude/camel shoe/purse. The latter used to be an old lady color. This will work on a lot of skin tones. Keep trying it. Maybe toes and a line strip of gold or copper along the tip of your toe to give it some bling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this and love it! It's my kind of color! So nice of the BF to buy it for you! I need to get me one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wonder how it would look with a coat of Hidden Treasures or 2010 over it. Give it some green and fire flash.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will confess that I've actually been wearing this color for almost a full seven days now. It has perhaps grown on me A BIT, but not enough to keep the bottle. I'm reasonably certain that I'll never use it again. I just haven't had time to change my polish.

    Sandi, I like your suggestion of using a flakie over it. If I had any patience at all right now and I felt like wearing this for another few days I'd try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I kinda love it on you... but maybe if your mom gets to keep it, she'll share a photo of it on her warmer skin tone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a nice enough color, but since I've already got CG Brownstone, I think I'll probably pass on it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like it but I don't LOVE it. Stephanie, I'm on the lookout for a browned red color - that is, more red than brown. OPI's "I'm Suzi & I'm a Chocoholic" is too brown. Any suggestions? StrangeBeautiful's "Redrope" is pretty close but just too hard to find. Any suggestions? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color, but more for a shirt, or tights, or a scarf. Maybe not so much for nails, at least not for us pale chicks. I do like that Essie did this color though, I feel like she's really listening to trends and what we wants, since only a couple years ago she pretty much just came out with pale pinks and french colors lol.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahh, poor boyfriend. I do nearly the same dine and dash routine to the makeup section everyime my husband and I shop together. This polish makes me think of terra cotta...it's meh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am really digging Very Structured. It has become one of my favorite shades.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!