Wednesday, October 05, 2011

China Glaze Trendsetter

When I first saw the promo photos for Metro last winter (yes, I was creeping around for fall 2011 releases in winter 2010) and I laid eyes on Trendsetter I knew that it would have to come and live in my collection.  Then I saw swatches come out and I knew that this was the only polish of the collection that merited must-have-grabby-hands status.  






For those of you who are regular readers, it won't come as a shock when I tell you that I am head-over-heels in love with this color.  I've said it many times but I'll say it again:  these ugly puke greens and yellows look wonderful and elegant on my skin tone and I don't know why but I love it.  Trendsetter is basically a shimmery version of American Apparel MacArthur Park, probably a couple hairs darker and greener.  Therefore the name "trendsetter" isn't entirely apt.  But if that's my only problem with this polish, then...I'm still ecstatic about it.  The formula was typical China Glaze, and I had flawless and even coverage in two coats.

I was so happy to walk into Ulta and see that they had this collection.  The other one I wanted, Midtown Magic, was the only one they didn't have.  But now looking at swatches of that one I'm noticing that it's not exactly terribly unique, so I'm not too sad to have missed out on it.  I don't have much time at all for my once-routine pilgrimages to Ulta, but I made sure to find time last Sunday morning.  Trendsetter was a reward to myself for finishing tasks (like a toddler, I work on a reward system; fun fact:  writing this blog post was my reward to myself for finishing a particularly arduous reading).  

To conclude:  LOVE.  If you like weird ugly colors like this, get yourself a bottle of Trendsetter.  It's too gross/beautiful to pass up.  And I think it looks great on short nails ;)

15 comments:

  1. I'm trying to be good about not buying nail polish, but I might just have to go buy this one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love those colors too. they look awesome on you. and on my skine tone too. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this one, but have only swatched it so far. I can't wait to rock it as a NOTD, but I need to wait for a more low-key week at work, where I don't have meetings and stuff. I picked up Westside Warrior (because it's gorg, but also because that was *my* side of town when I lived in NY, so I would have bought it no matter what it looked like) and Midtown Magic, as well, from this collection.

    Midtown Magic is beautiful, but there are lot of similar polishes out there just with slightly different base colors. In my stash it's most similar to Sally Hansen Midnight in NY, but with a dark plum base instead of SH's black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this and really love it! It's like no other color I own (so far). You got to love the reward system-I keep trying to go on a no buy-but have bought 11 bottles since saying I was on a no buy-does that mean I have a problem? Or no self control?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so great! This is the one color that I would get. I didn't used to like those types of colors since I think they would look horrible on me, but this one has changed my mind. It looks so awesomely ugly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm getting this one definitely, it looks so beautiful! That and Concrete Catwalk, possibly even Westside Warrior - those are my picks. Urban Night is the one I got first and loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked this and coincidentally, Midtown Magic, up from the Metro collection - and I will say that Trendsetter, while not something I'd normally ever go for - is totally fab. There is something about it, isn't there? And I have been waiting for you to review this because I KNEW it would be your kind of shade :P It does look lovely on you! It makes me even happier to own it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous! They made a perfect Steffie shade, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got this and as soon as I did thought - I bet Ms ShortnChic will love this! It looks great on more olive skins too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't own anything like this, I may have to go check it out

    ReplyDelete
  12. it's very unusual! love this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this kind of ugly beautiful unusual colors this fall is bringing! I have a friend who's visiting USA at the end of the month and this one is on the list I'll give to her before she goes away!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is an unique color, very cool looking.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!