Tuesday, November 15, 2011

OPI Pepe's Purple Passion

Pictures first, text later.







Pepe's Purple Passion from the Muppets.  The sole semi-vampy in the collection.  It's really interesting flaky glitter, similar glitter to what's in Meep-Meep-Meep, in a plum/raisin base.  If the sun hits this polish it sparkles really nicely.  I think the raisin color is a really nice one for the wintertime, and I'm glad OPI included something that's sort of vamp in the Christmas collection.  It also has an adorable name.

That having been said, the formula on this is awful.  I assumed that because it had the same glitter as Meep it would have the same UH-MAZING formula.  But it didn't.  First, it was extremely thick.  Thick enough that I thought I needed to shake the bottle or something and I did that after finishing one hand.  But no dice.  Second, it's...chunky.  The glitter doesn't lay smooth, and because the formula is weirdly chunky it dries to a bumpy finish.  I did two coats.  It also somehow eats topcoat.  I put on one coat of topcoat and it was like I had none on at all, so I did a second.  The formula is also thick enough that if you don't wrap your tips with the polish it looks like you've missed spots.  

Honest opinion:  unless you absolutely-love-gotta-have-can't-live-without this color, skip this one.  There are comparable raisin colors out there that probably have better formulas.  Kind of depressing, huh?  On the bright side, out of all the Muppets polishes I've tried this the only one I've been disappointed with.  So that's good.  

Sigh.  I can already tell this week is going to be quelle beast.  One of my seminars is actually over, class-wise.  Now I'm just writing the paper for it (in theory).  I have to grade tests.  Prepare the art history 101 students for 102.  Read stuff.  Write more stuff.  Not sleep.  Drink a lot of coffee.  

How are you guys doing? 

[This product sent for review.  Questions?  See my disclosure policy.  Want this polish on your fingers?  Check out nailpolishdiva.com]

6 comments:

  1. I saw on Once Bitten that she poured out about 1/4 of this polish & replaced it with clear and it was a lot better. I'm gonna need to try that soon..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on right now and also had major formula problems. I put several drops (like 10) of thinner and it is much better, and 2 coats of top coat. Definitely an improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SOOOOO disappointing! This is the one color in the collection that I was dying to get my hands on! Boo! Do you have a recommendation for a similar shade but with a better formulation?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad, because this is my kind of color! I have Meep Meep Meep on my toes right now, but had planned on going back for this one, but maybe not now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. The base color on this is pretty but I am not a huge opi fan. Your week sounds painful! Maybe napping will work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathleen, I've been trying to think of a good dupe for you but I haven't been able to come up with anything. If it's the base color you're liking, then you could try something like American Apparel Berry (my bottle says Berry, website says Berries...who knows), although that one is a bit more wine-colored than this one. But the glitter in this one seems to render it kind of unique. Maybe you can take the advice of the other ladies who commented, buy a bottle, and add some thinner.

    I feel like there are a ton of polishes out there that have a similar base color to this...maybe try Essie Wicked? I'm coming up a little blank with specific suggestions because my brain is full of other silly things like schoolwork. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!