Thursday, November 10, 2011

OPI Rainbow Connection (!!!)

I have to admit that I didn't understand why people wet their pants over Lippmann Happy Birthday.  What's the big deal?  I thought.  It's just big, chunky, stupid glitter in a clear base.  When all the Happy Birthday dupes came out I avoided them.  And then I met OPI Rainbow connection.  On my first date with Rainbow Connection we just stared at each other.  Hm.  Maybe you don't look so bad, I thought.  You'll be happy to know that the bottle didn't say anything back to me.  On our second date I decided to actually wear it.  And this happened.  And I metaphorically wet my paints and fell in love.







OPI Rainbow Connection over American Apparel L'Esprit.  Looks like cupcakes!  Or sugar cookies!  Or Easter candy!  Or...or...God, I'm hungry.  Anyway, this is such a happy and interesting combination.  I did two coats of L'Esprit (flawless formula as always; thanks, American Apparel) and then one coat of Rainbow Connection on top.  I'm showing you both my left and right hands, because they got different glitter distributions and I wanted you to see both.  

Rainbow Connection is multi-sized glitter in a clear base.  The glitter is small and round, but also medium and large sized and hexagonal.  OPI loves hexagonal glitter right now, I guess.  There are all sorts of colors hiding in here (yellow, green, orange, pink, purple, silver, blue), but the overall effect is one of predominantly silver (in the bottle).  I'm sure that at some point this could be opaque, but I wasn't about to sit there and pile on six coats of nail polish just to find out.  I think this layered look is absolutely gorgeous, and I can't wait to try more combinations.  My only complaint would be that this does not at all look Christmasy.  But that's not such a terrible complaint.

Also, if you missed out on Rainbow Connection (I hear it's sold out most places), then Nicole by OPI Rainbow in the S-Kylie is apparently just the same polish in an uglier bottle.  My advice?  Seek out the actual OPI.  My reasoning?  First, more aesthetically pleasing bottle.  Second, it's not named after a Kardashian sister.  That alone should be motivation enough.  Milani Gems would also be a good substitute.  

One more thing for today.  I had always heard that the "foil" method of removing glitter is the best, but I was dubious.  Then I tried it.  And now I am, as they say, a believer.  So, for those of you who are not indoctrinated into this methodology, let me elaborate:
Let's say that you are wearing OPI Fresh Frog of Bel Air.  Then let's say you have a meeting with your program advisor about Ph.D. programs and you realize obnoxious, green, glittery nails are completely inappropriate (albeit fabulous).  You don't want to spend an hour scrubbing your nails, so what's to be done?  Here's what.
1.  Put on a pot of coffee.  This step is important.
2.  Create ten squares of tin foil.
3.  Douse cotton balls with remover (pure acetone, of course, works best)
4.  I do one hand at a time:  place cotton ball on nail, wrap with tin foil.  This way the cotton (and remover) is in constant contact with your finger.
5.  Pour yourself a cup of coffee.  You'll look like this (although hopefully more well-rested).


6.  The sweet spot is somewhere between 10 and 12 minutes.  Just sit there and relax.  Then, after the allotted time, unwrap the foil, push down on the cotton, and drag it off your finger.  ALL the glitter will come off with the cotton.  No need to scrub.
7.  Repeat.  Drink more coffee.

Seriously, it works.  As I said, I was not a believer until yesterday when I didn't have to scrub at all to remove Fresh Frog.  And now I know the magic of the foil.  Forget rubbing the cotton balls on the glitter uselessly.  Forget felt.  Just.  Do.  This.  

Okay, I've rambled enough for today.  Rainbow Connection?  Do you love it too?  Totally a keeper for me.  I'm so glad I opened my cold little heart to it.

[This product sent for review.  Questions?  See my disclosure policy.  Want this polish on your fingers?  Check out nailpolishdiva.com]

13 comments:

  1. I always felt the same way about the Lippmann one, but I agree, Rainbow Connection is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love rainbow connection!! And th foil technique? I tried it yesterday and posted about it! I was skeptical at first but blimey it works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty and sparkly! I completely agree about the foil method. Which is good, since I have been in a glitter mood lately. And I love your steps of drinking coffee with the foil method. I might have to try that, but with tea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you know by now that I don't do glitter-but I did actually fall in love with Lynderella Connect the Dots-I have a weird thing about my nails not feeling smooth-I find myself rubbing them subconsciously and the Dots were top coat hungry-so I piled on the top coat-stay with me I have a point here-when I went to remove it-i have heard all the glitter horror stories and was going to test this foil method-but I had so many layers of polish on-it came off in one sheet-bad for the nails-but easy to remove! I don't recommend it! Still love your humor-

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am soooo glad you put the foil tip on here! i love glittery polishes (and have been dying to try rainbow connection!!), but hate scrubbing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time comnenting but I have to say 10-12 minutes is a really long time fir using the foil method! I do 5 at most, usually by the time I've wrapped all fingers the first one is ready to come off unless it's a pure glitter mani at which point I only wait an extra 2 mins tops.

    From the picture it looks like you are using quite a bit of foil and cotton under them. I tear apart 1 cotton ball into 5 pieces for each hand. More cotton means the acetone will soak into it rather than your polish which might be why it takes the 10-12 for you. Smaller citton piece, soaked all tge way through, and wrapped tightly to the nail and you should be getting the same results in half the time.

    (I don't have any accounts to reply as so creepy anon it is! >.<)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anon, thanks for the advice. I advocate the "more is better" method, but perhaps I'll try the your less is more suggestion. Really, part of the beauty of the 10-12 minute window is that it allows me time to relax and renders me unable to do anything, physically, except sit, drink coffee, and listen to music. So what I'm saying is that this method is a direct result of a desire for procrastination.

    I'm crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I picked up the Confetti version of this polish this summer. I really don't like the way they look by themselves, but layered over cremes like how you did, I think they look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lacquered Lady, I actually just saw a swatch of this by itself and now I kind of want to wear it like this...but I'm concerned it'll just look like fish scales. Never know until you try, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to get this. I like it over the pastel, hadn't seen it that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, that's funny. All I could think about when I opened the bottle was putting it over a pastel. Or a really light gray. It was between this AA and OPI Skull and Glossbones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute. Reminds me of a Easter egg. I really love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two hours ago I literally spent FOREVER trying to get Fresh Frog of Bel-Air off my nails to put on Essie's Mink Muffs, which I thought was more New Year's-appropriate. I read this too late, but definitely bookmarking!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!