Monday, November 21, 2011

Revlon Mistletoe or: Officially Embracing Christmastime

I'm officially participating in the holiday milieu.  I became ecstatic (like, really) when Starbucks put out their holiday cups.  I squealed with glee when Starbucks put up hanging snowflakes in the shop (yes, I tell the progression of seasons from the interior of Starbucks...is that weird?).  I went to Walgreens this weekend and noticed some holiday drug store displays, so I meandered over and grabbed an interesting-looking one, Revlon Mistletoe.  Sadly, no sun available here.




I really hate using flash, but I thought this polish warranted it.  Mistletoe has a charcoal-ish base color, but it's full of greenish-gold glitter.  It's really pretty and kind of vampy.  This is my first quick-dry from this brand, and I'm kind of disappointed with the formula.  It was really thick.  I wanted to add thinner to it, but I don't have any here so I just made due with the polish as it was.  By the time I finished the first coat my right hand some of the nails looked chunky and weird, so I really had to be careful with the application of the second coat.  They still look a little weird, but this polish is pretty enough that I kind of don't care.  I like how it looks on my short little nails too!  

In other news, I am totally obsessed with this song (the video won't embed for some annoying reason, but here's the YouTube link):


I can't get enough of it.  And it's so saaaaaaad.  But that guy's voice is totally haunting.  And as I have been telling everyone who will listen to me, he's a perfect combination of Sting and Peter Gabriel.  God, it's so good.

This week is a big one for me...I have a presentation tomorrow, then it's Thanksgiving and I get a break (YAYAYAYAY!!!).  I cannot wait.  I graded all my papers, so that's done.  Wrote the presentation and made the powerpoint, so that's done.  Now I just have to practice not sounding like an idiot!  Two more papers to freedom from this semester, guys.  If I weren't so tired (and still in bed) I would be literally jumping for joy.

Okay, that's all.  Thoughts on Revlon Mistletoe?  Does anyone know if all of Revlon's quick-dry formulas are this crappy?  

17 comments:

  1. I have three of their regular quick dry colours, including the Mimosa dupe and they applied quite nicely. Maybe a little thin but very easy to work with. Maybe it's the new collection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This polish looks great! I'm starting to love Revlons a LOT. Sorry the formula was so crappy -- my Revlons err on the side of thinness. Poshe sorts everything out for me in the end.

    Everyone seems to be losing their shit over this song ... I might have to give it a listen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! I have been wanted to pick this up for a while now, I think this post just put me over the edge. I have several Revlons, but none of the Top Speed ones. I will endure the crappy formula to wear this gorgeous polish =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked this up because I thought it was a really interesting color-- sorry to hear the formula is such a pain! I haven't tried mine yet; I hope it's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Revlon's come out with some cool colors over the past year--they've really stepped it up. I haven't been *in love* with the formula, but I haven't found it to be a problem...so far. I picked up this one a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't used it yet.
    LOVE your cute little nails! Yes, I'm biased--mine aren't too long either, but the super-long nails are just too...super-long! I call them "Bacteria Catchers". (No offense to anyone.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't do drugstore brands so I can't help you there-but I find it really weird that it takes Starbucks holiday cups to get you in the spirit!! That's just weird!!! Glad you are almost done with the semester-hopefully you can have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers, it's much less weird when you consider that I am a barista by trade.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh. My. Digging that song and feeling your Peter Gabriel comparison, a lot. That shade reminds me of Bronze Ablaze and Night Owl...I own the latter and would have loved it had it lasted more than a few hours without chipping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, now I'm obsessed with the song. I've probably listened to it ten times since clicking that link, and I've posted it to my FB wall.

    The polish is pretty, too :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought this a few weeks ago, but couldn't bring myself to wear a polish called "Mistletoe" before Halloween. Now you make me want to wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate the Revlon formulation as a rule, but I'd heard the quick dry ones were better - too bad! I love this polish shade though (even without sunshine), looks slightly like Chanel's Graphite.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay. What. That polish is nice, but this song is INCREDIBLE. I've been loving on it for a while now and it's nice to see a fellow fan giving it a call-out!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually Top Speed is my fav formula overall, Im surprised you got a yucky one. I buy the expensive brands alot too, but I always come back to Top Speed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Megan, RIGHT? I can't get enough of it. I've been playing it over and over again...a pleasant change from Adele's Someone Like You. It's the joke between my friends and I that I sit in the dark, cry, and listen to sad music (it's true). But this one is just incredible ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks a LOT like Night Owl by L'Oreal from that special Project Runway collection they did. I'm normally not a huge drug store polish fan (because of the aforementioned formula issues) but Night Owl is close to perfect. Glittery without being in your face but still fantastically vampy. This one looks a tad greener however, which is great because now I have an excuse to buy both. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I picked this up at Walgreen's and was going to buy it, but it looks rather close to RBL Anne (without the pink shimmer) so I put it back. My nails don't get along with Revlon polishes either. That factored into putting it back on teh display.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am with Rach - I am really starting to like Revlon when I avoided it since the late 60's & 70's when it was one of the few available. I really love this shade and would wear it beyond holiday. Hopefully a little thinner would do the trick. I am going to try to look for it.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!