Thursday, December 29, 2011

H&M Going to the Opera

The people who love me know me well.  For special events they give me H&M gift cards.  I had hardly started spending my birthday ones (from Boyfriend and mom) when the Christmas ones started rolling in. I went the day after Christmas to see if there were any good deals to be had and of course walked out with new spring stuff and no sale stuff (a kelly green shirt, a coral-pink tee and a great little blazer).  While I was standing in the mile-long line two cute little nail polishes caught my eye.  I restrained myself and only bought one.




Going to the Opera is a lovely, deep, opaque blue-based red.  There isn't much to say about it because the color isn't unique.  It reminds me a lot of China Glaze Phat Santa, but I can't be bothered to do a comparison because there really are so many similar colors.  I loved Phat Santa and I love Going to the Opera just as much.  Maybe even a little more; it gets props for its cute bottle (although it should look a little familiar, no?).  The formula was excellent.  Not too thick, not too thin.  The brush was great, too.  I wasn't sure what to expect with a polish like this, but I was pleasantly surprised.  $3.95 for 0.5 fl oz., so really not a bad deal.  I'll tell you one thing:  if I'm ever going to the opera, this is the little beauty I'll reach for. 

Other things I'm loving:


Sex and the City, which I can never get enough of.  For many years I've been asking for the complete Sex and the City series for Christmas.  This year Santa finally obliged.  Actually, the tag said it was from my cat, Raven.  So thanks Raven (and by that I mean thanks, mom and dad).  I turned in my applications today that had deadlines in late December/early January so I FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY have a little free time to breathe.  I will spend it cuddling with my boyfriend, shopping and watching my new DVDs.


This necklace.  Originally I bought this for my mom for Christmas, but when I discussed it with my boyfriend he said he didn't think it was her.  I got her something else (something much nicer and from her favorite boutique) and kept this for myself.  And I'm glad I did because I love it.  $12.95 from H&M and I've worn it every day since Christmas.  When I showed it to my mom she did her best Tim Gunn impression by telling me "it's a lotta look."  But we art historians love our statement necklaces.  


The fact that my mother put a Christmas sweater and Santa hat on a wine bottle she was gifting to someone.  It was...pretty great.  I was in the back seat on Christmas while we drove somewhere and I said something like, "I can't believe this wine bottle is wearing a damn sweater."  My mom turned around and said, "But where is its hat?"  It turned out that the hat had gotten lost in our coats piled in the back, but I put it back on, snapped this photo, and all was right with the world.

That's all.  How was everyone's Christmas, since I didn't ask last post?  Any opinions on H&M Night at the Opera?  And I've probably asked this before, but since I like to know:  what's your all-time favorite, can't-live-without-it, red polish?  

5 comments:

  1. I love how your mom tactfully says she didn't like your necklace- it rocks by the way-my mom does that with each new red haircolor I rock-this year I added dark magenta stripes to my merlot red-Love the wine bottle sweater and your line from A Christmas Story-I have so many fave reds that I cannot pick just one!! Phat Santa is stunning though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should not be allowed into H&M ... aaaand I am SO EXCITED to get back to Finland to spend far too much in there. I love Dust & Diamonds in their polish line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, that's an awesome red! I'll have to see if I can find this one tomorrow -- I'm pretty partial to the name. :) I'm not sure what my favorite red is ... it's like asking me to pick a favorite awkward Dexter moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two favourite reds: OPI Red for the typical red like the one you've shown, and Leighton Denny Rampant Rose which is more of a toned down, dusky red.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice red! Any chance you'll be posting your top ten for 2011? Would love to see your favorites.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!