Monday, December 12, 2011

Revlon Aloof; Also, Tulle

I was at Walgreens last week and when I saw Revlon Aloof on the display I couldn't resist it.  I had been looking for a not-so-white white.  I found myself bringing it home with me.




I actually don't know how I feel about it.  Aloof has this weird quality to it where it's not quite white, not quite gray and not quite silver.  Also not quite a pearl, not quite a metallic and not quite a shimmer.  It occupies a weird liminal nail polish space.  The formula was fantastic, though.  I was almost good with only one coat, but I did two just to be safe.  It applied a bit bubbly or lumpy, but I can't really tell in real life.  It's a nice wintery color.  I think I just wanted it to be different than it actually is.  But I'm starting to appreciate Aloof for its own weird and special qualities.  Plus it was on sale.

Last Friday I wanted to feel pretty.  Do you ever have those days?  I was teaching my last class of the semester.  I was also submitting my first PhD application.  It's not like I did it in person or anything, but there was something about looking nice that day that seemed appealing.  So I wore a new dress from Anthropologie that my mom got me for my birthday.  When I was at work and school I got a lot of compliments.  Then I ended up unexpectedly spending the night at my parents' house on Friday night and having to wear the same dress on Saturday.  It's AMAZING what's acceptable on a college campus and a museum setting, but what is deemed ridiculous in a small town.  I got so many I-can't-believe-she's-wearing-that-looks.  Like open stares.



WHAT?  If a twenty-five-year-old woman wearing what is basically a full-on tutu on a random Saturday is wrong then I don't think I want to be right.  Yes it's tulle.  Yes my friend described me as a goth ballerina.  Yes I indulged the fantasy by putting my hair up in a ridiculously high top-knot.  But I wore scrunchy boots (which you can't see in the pictures) to make it look less formal!  I was practically dressed down!  The stares I got in Panera while I was editing my paper are still funny to me.

Then I walked into H&M (retail therapy is the best therapy, I tell you) and this happened:


I made a beeline straight for the neon pink, high-waisted, pleated, long skirt.  I think I've realized why people stare at me now.  But it is FABULOUS.  And only $12.95!  God, I love H&M.  Both my boyfriend and my mom got me H&M gift cards and I can't wait to spend all of those dollars.  And yes, I know you can see my bra through that shirt.  Don't worry, I didn't buy it.  But I really liked that color combination.

Anyway, that's my life.  Wearing tulle and neon pink and having a color called Aloof on my nails.  Classes ended Friday, so that's a relief.  Tomorrow I'm proctoring an exam and then I will have to grade them.  My internship is over.  One of my papers is done, and there's only one more to go.  I feel like there might be a light at the end of the tunnel, but I know I have to keep plugging away at PhD apps.  I fear the light may be an oncoming train...

Opinons on Aloof?  My new skirt?  MY AWESOME TULLE DRESS?  Please share.

23 comments:

  1. I happened to think you look fabulous in both outfits. Besides, who would want to just blend in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your fashion style!!! I always wear long prairie skirts and shortsleeve turtlenecks with high heeled combat boots. It's my look. But I just love your goth ballerina!! Reminds my of my youth. As for Aloof? Nope looks like putty to me. Silly putty. Let the people stare-they are just jealous of your fabulousness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think people stare at you because you're fabulous! I might stare if I saw you, but I would only be thinking thoughts of awesomeness. Love the dress, but that skirt made me gasp a little bit. I think you should have bought the whole outfit. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Aloof, its interesting! It reminds me of shimmery putty:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I like Aloof. And I love the ballerina dress! The pink skirt is nice, too, but if I were you, I'd wear the ballerina dress every day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, you used the word "liminal" to describe nail polish! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your goth ballerina dress!! I keep picking up 'Aloof' and then putting it back, but I really want it after seeing it on you. It almost has a beige-y-ness to it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved aloof,the pink skirt too... The balerina dress not so much :p
    The polishes that i like the most are those that are impossible to define the color... :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the dress and the skirt. The polish... I'll preface this by saying that I have a strong anti-Revlon bias, so maybe that's doing the talking here, but the texture of it just isn't for me.

    I feel you on getting crazy looks from people. I just relocated from NYC to a small town and... let's just say they're not quite ready for me :)

    Good luck on your applications from a fellow polish-loving PhD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "It occupies a weird liminal nail polish space"...grad student high five! Let's keep it going:

    This liminality allows the polish to negotiate simultaneous identities within multiple color/texture paradigms, and thus its fluidity stands as a rebellion against the implied consensus of a homogenous lacquer finish - it stands aloof, as it were. Its detachment from the subject already inscribed in its own name, "Aloof" troubles the assumed neutrality of established nail polish categories, and its appropriation and synchronic mimesis of contradictory textures exposes the contrived mythos of polish classification. As “Aloof” sublimely shifts between color and texture, not only does it disrupt such facile identification, but actively carves out a “third space” that insists upon the essential mutability of its own medium.

    How awesome would it be to have a nail polish panel at an art/cultural studies conference??!

    Best wishes on finishing the term and sending out your applications...be warned: With much education, comes much insanity! :D

    I love the goth ballerina ensemble. I haven't shopped at Anthropologie in years - this makes me want to check them out again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all these looks! The polish is fab too, is this one of the new Revlons?

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of that was lovely:
    Aloof
    The dress (!!! <3)
    The skirt

    Dear God I miss H&M. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. i really love aloof. also, the pink skirt... i want it!! i need to make a trip to h&m asap

    ReplyDelete
  14. The dress is stunning and I like the structure of the skirt but bright pink is not my color

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the polish is pretty but not as pretty as your tulle dress or hot pink skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like your skirt and dress. They're pretty, and so is the polish. I like it, light neutrals are always nice to have, and I love the mostly hidden shimmery bits. I think I'll have to keep my eyes open for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love love love your dress!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm wearing Aloof right now and really like it. The dress is fabulous; I've been stalking it on Anthro myself! I can't believe you got negative stares, but as long as you love it, who cares?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woah this neon skirt looks amazing on you! And I know what you mean because I grew up in a tiny little town and now, every once in a while, when I return everybody is just starring at me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That polish is the s**t, gonna go find it this afternoon! And your blog is the s**t too!!! Love your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Today I ran to H&M and got the same skirt because I couldnt get it out of my mind since I say it on you! I got it for only 10 Swiss Franks what is even less than 12 USD :) Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aloof is a really nice off white neutral. I LOVE the pink skirt. Anyone who can pull that stuff off, should!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the look of this polish precisely because it's not quite any color. It's definitely unique. It reminds me of a winter sky that's overcast, but not quite about to rain.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!