Friday, January 13, 2012

Sally Hansen Smooth and Perfect: Sea

The other night my friend and I had a girls' night during which we watched Tinker, Tailor, Solider, Spy (mm, Gary Oldman in big '70s glasses; dream man), went to CVS and bought nail polish and chocolate.  I spied some square Sally Hansen bottles so I was all over them.  This new line is called Smooth and Perfect ColorCare, and it claims to do a lot of stuff, like let your nails "breathe" or something.  You can go to their website if you want to read about it.  But I was interested in them for two gorgeous, really light pastels.  The first one I'm showing you is Sea, a very light mint green.



Isn't this pretty!?


This photo is from my little iPhone, so it presents the color a little differently (bluer).

So you can already tell that I think the color is absolutely stunning.  It's a light, airy, pastel, mint green.  And it's not creme, either.  It has subtle shimmer, which makes the finish almost pearlescent.  Really unique.  I also love the square bottle.  The brush is the same wide, tapered one that comes with the Insta-Dri polishes. 

But Sea is not without problems in the application and drying departments.  First, it's kind of sheer.  I needed three coats to build up to opacity.  Second, the formula is thick.  Annoyingly thick, but I was able to work with it.  Third, it took FOREVER to dry, even using the Sally Hansen Insta-Dri stuff in the red bottle.  A few hours later I was getting dents.  Lastly, the finish has little...well, they're not bubbles...they look almost like pinpricks.  You can see them well on my ring nail in the second photo if you really enlarge the picture.  They're not obvious at all, and no one but me would have noticed them, but...it's still strange. 

Regardless of these issues, I can't help but be in love with this color.  I keep admiring my hands.  And a random girl told me she liked my nail polish while I was wearing this.  Compliments from strangers indicate something special, right?  As I said, I found this at CVS and I think it was around $6.  They were also buy one get one 50% off, so I did that.  Meaning I have another to show you sometime soon. Yay!

Also, I thought I would share an outfit I am particularly in love with right now.  Over winter break I've been having fun putting together new outfits that I'll wear for schooltimes (lame, right?  but god do I love clothes).


The blazer, striped tee, and skirt are all from H&M.  I found the blazer quite recently, so if you're into it you can probably still find it there.  I love the cut.  The necklace is from Francesca's, the boots and socks are Target and the tights are from Marshall's.

I'm not sure why I'm so enamored of these pieces together.  I like the red of the necklace with the cool-taupe of the skirt, the stripes of the tee with the bands of the skirt.  And I like pairing boots like these, with kind of a hard edge, with everything.  Especially frilly dresses.  Also, yes, I am in an Anthropologie dressing room.  See that pink thing behind me?  It's this.  Regrettably the back on this tank is completely OPEN.  Like there are a couple of stitches up by the neck, and the rest of it just flows open.  It's the weirdest thing.  And a shame, because I love the obnoxious pink color and the snail print.  I don't have anything with snails on it.  I thought I could save it by tucking it into a particularly slinky black pencil skirt, but it just wasn't happening.  Sigh.  Snail-printed clothing, someday I will have you.

Alright, I've talked enough today.  I'm out.  But I have to ask...has anyone else tried the SH Smooth and Perfect polishes?  Any opinions?  At least with Sea, I think the finicky formula and long dry time are worth the color.  It's contented-sigh-inducing.  

Oh, also, Muppets giveaway.

Okay, now I'm actually done.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful color! I really like your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Smooth & Perfect polishes are supposed to be able to "breathe" according to the display, right? Maybe that was what the bubbles were about? Hee hee. Oh and you look very sexy in that outfit. I don't know how you find the clothing with little critters on them but they're very fun. Have a great weekend! (I'm celebrating being done with jury duty!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great outfit, love the polish color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read on other blogs that they had the same probs with thickness, dry time and horrible bubbles-so it must be the brand? Loving your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw the snail top is so cute! You could definitely either
    a) sew the back closed but it would look like how it does on the mannequin online or
    b) refashion it so the front is the back and then it could be a pink snail vest. =) You can email me if you want me to extrapolate. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The polish that let your nails breath? I'm not sure if I believe you but the shade is oh, ah perfect ;)
    and don't let me start talking about the clothes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this polish in the store today. It's such a pretty color...sucks that the application isn't good/easy:( Found your review on google. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Out of curiosity - what book are you reading in the second post of "Sea"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. She's reading Catching Fire! I actually searched this color because I am obsessed with Finnick and therefore am in constant search of the perfect sea green colored things (especially nail polish!)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!