Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Thrill of the Hunt

Two things on the agenda today:  first, nail polish (duh).  Second, a tale of obsession with a happy ending.





A jelly sandwich with Rescue Beauty Lounge Bikini Bottom and OPI Gone Gonzo.  I've decided that this is my favorite way to wear the Muppets glitters.  And it goes to show that they're pretty versatile.  I did the same thing with Gettin' Miss Piggy With It.  This is two coats Bikini Bottom, one coat Gone Gonzo, and then one more coat of Bikini Bottom.  I love this.  The only problem is that it took FOREVER to dry.


So, when I decide I want something I go kind of crazy over it until I get it.  It happens with hard to find drug store nail polishes, and this month it happened with a dress.  It started when my mom took me on an Anthropologie shopping trip for my 25th birthday (because she is the best) and I picked out a few things.  One of the things I chose I got as a Christmas gift, but when I tried it on Christmas morning I was much less enamored of it than I was when we bought it.  So I returned it.  Which meant I had roughly $200 to spend at Anthro.  I spent some of it on a dress that was on sale (and I'm really happy with that purchase), but what to do with the rest of it?  I was perusing the Anthro website about two weeks ago when I saw this.  I said (shouted) to my boyfriend, who was sitting next to me playing with his iPod, "OHMYGOD LOOK AT THIS IT HAS BIKES ON IT OHMYGOD."  He was not as elated as I, but he indulged me, as he usually does.  From that moment on I was a woman obsessed.  I had to have it.  


But much to my dismay, it's actually already backordered in most sizes (as it turns out, not mine).  Also I couldn't figure out whether or not it actually ran true to size, so I was hesitant to order it from the website. Yesterday I called my Anthropologie store, and they told me they had just gotten it in that day but only had two left.  One of them was an 8 (YAY THAT WILL FIT ME HOPEFULLY, I thought).  So I got in my car and sped off.  And this happened.



!!!!!!!!!



It.  Has.  Pockets.


This dress, which is called the Bike Lane Dress, also comes with separate straps that are adjustable and totally functional.  Much to my surprise, the 8 is actually a tiny bit big on top.  But not enough to dissuade me from buying this one or to persuade me to wiggle into a 6.  Side note:  I always wear a smaller size than I think I will because I'm starting to realize I have really big issues with body image.  I've been struggling with my weight for several years now, and I always think I look huge.  Having been pretty overweight before, and also being a total perfectionist, it's a difficult thing to overcome.  I am so glad that this dress now lives in my closet, and I can't wait for spring-ish weather so I can flounce around in it.

Another reason to be happy?  I realized that I have classes on Mondays and Wednesdays and I teach on Friday.  I will probably end up interning on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but I haven't met with my supervisor yet, so I don't have any work I can do (again, yet).  MEANING that even though today is technically the first day of the semester, I'm still on vacation.  Huzzah!  

[polish in this post provided for review.  want your own?  check out nailpolishdiva.com]

16 comments:

  1. I. Love. This. Dress! It looks amazing on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *just* put this dress on my Anthro wishlist this weekend! I adore things decorated with a bike motif =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That. DRESS. Freaking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I love Anthro...hate their prices. I will commit to my collection of Anthro Latte bowls though.
    The dress looks stunning on you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it. I want to do more sandwitching. I hate a lot of the glitters as a topper - but working it into the polish really works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look bangin' in that dress. Love the cute bike pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. GURL. BIKE DRESS BIKE DRESS BIKE DRESS.

    YES.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some things are just worth hunting for right? This dress look so awesome on you and it is so you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you. It is me. I'm glad I looked for it ;)

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous manicure & FANTASTIC dress! I'm definitely a skirts & dresses person & last year I decided to stop buying them if they don't have pockets. It's made shopping go much faster as I know just cut out most of options. I sure do love knowing that most everything in my closet will have functioning pockets too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pockets are nice. Some of my favorite items in my wardrobe have pockets...but it's not a requirement for me.

      Delete
  10. A dress with bikes?! If anyone can pull it off, you can :)

    I love the waist and the slight flare of the skirt on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would kill for this dress (just kidding) it's amazing and I can definitely see myself in ;)
    and the polish combo rocks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely dress and you look fab in it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. FFFFUUUUU that dress is too fucking cute for words.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!