Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Black Label: OPI Home on the O-Range

Another treasure from my reader-provided goodie box of black label OPIs (thanks again Gail!).









This is Home on the O-Range, and it's really more of a coral than an orange.  I like how I took a few photos and it looks totally different in all of them.  The color in reality is closest to the color in the second photo.  Anyway, this polish, named with a ridiculously heavy-handed pun, is old.  Real old.  Old enough that I couldn't immediately find swatches in a basic Google image search.  But it's an orange-leaning coral with gold shimmer.  The formula was nice, as old chemical-laden OPI formulas are wont to be.  I had no problems with the old skinny brush, and the opacity was lovely.  What wasn't lovely was the dry time.  My nails are all dented; thankfully you can't see that in the photos.

Now maybe you're thinking:  Steff.  Buddy, pal.  Why would you show me a black label OPI that is practically non-existent on the intarwebz and make me want it?  Why?  Why would you do that?  Well, calm yourselves, because when I saw this one in sunlight I couldn't shake this weird feeling of deja vu.  You know why?



This is Home on the O-Range on the left and I Eat Mainely Lobster on the right.  And as a refresher, here's a macro swatch of Lobster:


Not dupes, but PRETTY SIMILAR.  So rest easy, friends.  Home on the O-Range is actually a lemming that is easily slayed.  Lobster might not be an exact match, but they're close enough.

Okay, so one more thing.  I wanted to try out orange lipstick.  So I slapped on a lipstick I've never used but was excited to buy at one time, MAC Morange.  



I like to think that with a little confidence I can rock any lip color, but I'm not sure about this one.  What do you guys think?  These photos are from Friday; I had a lot to do that day, and no one said OH MY GOD YOUR LIPS ARE ORANGE, so I consider this a win.  Maybe?  I don't know!

So, opinons on the polish?  Has anyone ever heard of this old OPI?  I don't think I had myself until I opened my big box o' black labels.  

11 comments:

  1. I love that color on you - nails and lips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of that OPI. Glad you shared it though, I was already lemming Mainely Lobster so thanks to you I'm gonna have to jump on that this week.

    And I think that lipstick looks AWESOME on you. I love anything coral-ly orange and if you can pull it off on lips well good for you because I sure couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the lipstick a lot!!
    and grea polish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That orange lipstick would be really great with an all black outfit.

    Also, how do you identify black label OPI products?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OPI black labels have black font on the little sticky tag at the bottom of the bottle. If you look at a bottle of OPI that you would buy today at, say, Ulta, it will have green font. Black labels are all pretty old. Old formula, old brush, old polish.

      Delete
  5. Would you spend the money to get this off eBay or invest in Riveting from the China Glaze Hunger Games collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Riveting and Home on the O-Range are absolutely nothing alike. Riveting is an orange jelly with glass fleck-ish shimmer. A polish like that, with a jelly base, will really let the shimmer shine through. The result is that it'll look like it's glowing, on fire, etc. Home on the O-Range looks nothing like that. It's has a creme-y base, so it's way more opaque. It's also redder.

      If you really want Home on the O-Range, I would just get OPI I Eat Mainely Lobster, which is definitely readily available. But if you're torn between Home and Riveting, I'd go with the latter just based on price alone. I did a quick search on ebay and the former goes for between $10 and $20 a bottle. Not worth it for something that's dupable.

      If I hadn't already promised this bottle to my mom I'd offer to send it to you. But alas.

      Delete
  6. I think orange lipstick looks good on you (that's the color I have been wearing for the past two weeks) but I don't know about the nail polish, I don't like orange on nails but if you want to match it with your lipstick and you feel good wearing it, than you definitely should ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore orange lips, especially on us blonde-haired blue-eyed gals! Actually, I love orange anything. I want that lipstick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are rocking this lipstick esp with that shirt! I used to wear the craziest dark plum or bright red-gave me confidence!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!