Thursday, February 23, 2012

Funky Fingers Cottage Stripes

I've been on the go a lot lately (leaving my place at 8am and not getting home until between 11 and 1am), so I haven't had a lot of leisurely time to take pictures with, say, a regular camera.  Or near sufficient light.  Or at a good time of day.  Basically, I'm not a great blogger.  But here are some [iPhone] photos of Funky Fingers Cottage Stripes, anyway.




The background here is a dress I have from H&M with a painterly all-over flower print.  I got no less than ten compliments the day I wore it; most of them were something about wishing it was spring and living vicariously through my clothing.  Which is weird, but I'll take it.


And with my ever-present cup of coffee.

None of these photos is really color accurate.  I'd call Cottage Stripes more of a dusty cornflower, but here it looks really bright.  It's definitely more muted.  This swatch is way more color accurate.  The formula was watery and I needed three coats.  It also only lasted about a day and a half before it started to chip, but that's par for the course with polishes for me lately.  Maybe it has something to do with winter dryness?  I'm not sure.  I do like this color, though.  But I have better cornflowers (namely Sally Hansen Pacific Blue and Essie Lapis of Luxury).

So my job at the museum in curatorial often requires me to go digging through old periodicals in search of esoteric articles.  I enjoy this endeavor for a couple reasons.  First, as with hard to find nail polishes, I enjoy the thrill of the hunt.  I like feeling like I'll never find something and then finally getting my hands on it.  Second, the advertisements.  I'm working on material from the 1940s-1960s in the United States (my field is American art, but a bit earlier than that...c. 1860-1920ish.  I don't think I've ever really talked about that on here!).  Yesterday I got a huge bound volume of several issues of House & Garden from 1947.  I took photos of these two adverts, so I thought I'd share.


I love this one because of the obvious implication of Lucy and Ricky beds.  This is also what I call the twin beds in a room at my parents' lake house.  Look at her, wearing red lipstick to bed and reading her book so comfortably.  And her red nail polish!  (see, totally relevant)


And this one I just thought was beautiful.

I really like looking at commercial stuff from the 40s and 50s.  Sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade.  Confession:  I also have this weird Leave It To Beaver-esque housewife fantasy where I can stay home all day, wear poofy dresses and red lipstick, and for some reason vacuum the house wearing four-inch peep-toes and pearls.  Of course I know that there are all sorts of gender issues at work there, but I think it's something I semi-fantasize about because it's so different from the life I have now.  I can't really cook, I clean when I have time (ha), and I'm not a great hostess.  But I am a great researcher, writer, and compiler of information, so I guess we all have our skills, huh?

Well, that was a giant tangent, wasn't it?

18 comments:

  1. Love the tangent! When I was in college, I'd sometimes spend hours in the library stacks looking at old magazines when I probably should have been studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have discussed with multiple people how I dream of being a housewife, even though I'm getting my Masters right now and want to teach at a college or university. I think it's just the fantasy of a simpler life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing the same thing with partially the same goals. It's not so much a "simpler" life for me...just a different one. I think it's just a weird idealized fantasy for me.

      Delete
  3. I am such a sucker for vintage ads. I scoop up tin prints of them whenever I can, they really put personality into a room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out old issues of House & Garden. I'm sure the issues from the 40s-60s are gold.

      Delete
  4. Your area of study sounds fascinating- and I appreciated seeing the advertisements you found and would love to see more. I love the style. Are you a fan of Mad Men? I only began to watch the series recently, and love the 50s/60s aesthetic.

    Oh, and of course- lovely nails! Although I agree about SH Pacific Blue and Essie Lapis of Luxury being better (as far as cornflower blues go).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Mad Men. I've been watching it since season 1, and I'm totally hooked. It's back soon!

      Essie Lapis of Luxury is one of my very favorite polishes. It's hard for another cornflower to come close.

      Delete
  5. Love the tangent! Really enjoyed it! :)
    I've been at home for the last year - my maternity leave will end in April. And let me tell you - your fantasy is really that - a fantasy! Don't get me wrong, I've fantasized about this too, but I soon realized that with a baby home, there's no time for me to do my nails! I don't know how the ladies from this era did it... with the girdles, the pin-curls... and all the chores supposedly for the women to do... I would love to time-travel to get some tips on how to get all things done gracefully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, my fantasy doesn't really involve kids. I mean, I want them eventually, but in this particular fantasy I don't have to deal with poop and vomit. Just dust bunnies.

      Delete
  6. I love when you regale us with tales of your life! You have to love the twin beds and she's wearing a nightie-I wonder who's bed they do it in??? Probably hers-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably hers. She'd probably have to sleep in the wet spot.

      Delete
    2. Oh lord! The dreaded wet spot!
      Speaking of these cornflower blues, I recently shelled out 99 cents for Sally Girl's new shade, Epic. All I can say is, "Epic polish is...Epic."

      Delete
    3. Epic looks REALLY similar to Cottage Stripes!

      Delete
  7. I loved the tangent :) I find old ads fascinating, as old magazines (from 1970 and back) and pictures. I could spend hours watching makeup, dresses, hairdo and (on ads) what they were selling.
    Sometimes it's hilarious!
    But I just read Revolutionary Road so I can't figure a happy "dust bunnies hunter" 50's housewife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great book. Depressing, but beautiful.
      Did you see the movie as well (gotta love Kate Winslet)!

      Delete
    2. I do really love Kate Winslet...but I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I'll have to read the book first.

      Delete
    3. I watched the movie this evening :-( so sad...Amazing actors, anyway (I do love Kate Winslet, she's so intense)!! Quite faithful to the novel, I agree with you on reading it first :-)

      Delete
  8. This color looks so amazing on you. Your polish is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!