Monday, February 06, 2012

Jason Wu and Zoya Kennedy

A few weeks back Zoya had some sort of promotion going where if you entered a code you could get two free polishes.  I distinctly remember that my boyfriend and I were watching something on Netflix, and when he got up to go to the bathroom I opened a new browser window.  By the time he got back I had two polishes in my virtual cart and all I could say to him was, "PLEASE GET ME MY WALLET THERE IS NAIL POLISH INVOLVED."  It took a while for them to ship to me, I assume because lots of people ordered.  But here is my first one, Kennedy.







This is a nice, neutral creme.  It's a peachy-beige that looks sort of dirty or grungy in some lights.  If it looked in all lights like it does in the first photo, I think I would really love this.  But in the shade and in some lights it ends up looking kind of washed out and almost entirely beige.  Maybe it has to grow on me.  But I'm pretty happy with this purchase...I MEAN I'm happy with this polish I got for free.  I haven't gotten a new Zoya in quite a while, so I don't know how their formulas have been lately; I did not like the formula on Kennedy.  It was thick.  And hard to get even.  I did only need two coats, but they seemed like a laborious two coats.

But when all is said and done it's a neutral that looks pretty and elegant.  So maybe the application pain is worth it.  I'm happy to add it to my collection.

So it feels really good to say that I had a great weekend.  After having so much trouble with so many things at the end of last year, I finally feel genuinely happy.  On Saturday I started studying for my qualifying exams, which was scary.  But at least I started.  Then my boyfriend took me out to dinner at one of my favorite Thai places.  Then we watched one of my favorite movies, Brick, in bed (he didn't like it as much as I do).  At 2:30 I finally fell asleep, and the next morning I was up at 6:30 for the Jason Wu for Target release.  Let me tell you about my adventure.

The collection had me at black cat (I have one, Raven).  


No makeup.  Hair wild.  Giant sweater.  Welcome to my Sundays, folks.

The pieces are all based on elegant, clean lines, which appealed to me immediately.  I knew the second the lookbook was released that I needed this dress:


My friend Sam and I got to Target at 7:55, 5 minutes before the store opened.  Our Target has two entrances on the bottom floor, and about 15 people were lined up at one of them, while 5 or so were lined up at the other.  We headed for the less crowded entrance.  Luckily, due to a particularly boisterous Wu enthusiast waving her arms at the employee opening the doors, he came over and opened our set first (Thanks Brent at University Heights Target!).  He cautioned us not to run, which was funny.  Because we of course all ran.  But the 30 seconds between when he opened our doors and the other set of doors allowed me to grab this dress in several sizes, as well as a couple other pieces (including the cat tee, which I didn't end up getting).  It turned out that an 8 was a perfect fit, so 5 minutes after the doors had opened I already had my prize in-hand.  I only encountered one semi-aggressive person, and we had this conversation:
Her:  Hey, do you have that blue dress in a 6?
Me:  No.  I have an 8.
Her:  Are you sure?  I have an 8 too.  I need a 6.
Me:  ...Yes?  Yes I'm sure.  What?
I was confused by this, and literally scampered off to the dressing room to avoid eye contact.

And then the accessories.  Ah, the accessories.  The employees ended up bringing the bags out in, I kid you not, a huge bin.  Seeing women scramble for them was pretty funny.  I managed to score a couple (without damaging my dignity) because my friend wanted one, so that was fun.  It was a whole barter system happening of women grabbing whatever they could and then trading.

Anyway, I'm glad I went.  It was fun, and getting exactly what I wanted within minutes gave me a weird shopping adrenaline rush that I suspect is unhealthy.  Target was followed by breakfast, a lecture at the Cleveland Museum of Art, and hanging out in a coffee shop.  

All in all, I'm completely content.  And that makes Monday not look so bad.  Did anyone else score anything J.Wu?  I'd love to hear about it if you did :)

16 comments:

  1. My Target wasn't on the launch list :( But I'm hoping a few pieces turn up(it happened with Missoni..a girl can dream, right?).

    I really want the blue dress and the light blue skirt..but I'd like to try them on first. And probably a few of the scarves. Ugh. #whitegirlproblems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that could definitely happen. I got a [child's size L] Missoni cardigan that I found at my Target on clearance for $6 or $7.

      The scarves went really quickly. The other item I thought I may have wanted was the black cat scarf, but those were snatched up in seconds. And I think most of the items in the collection run large, or so I've heard people say. I wear anything between a 6 and a 10, and the 8 seemed to fit pretty well. So the blue poplin dress seemed true to size to me. But everyone's different.

      Don't give up!

      Delete
    2. Ooooh! Thanks for the tips!! I fit in those size demographics as well =)

      Delete
  2. It's so funny living vicariously through you sometimes! I can just imagine the mad rush for this stuff! Thanks for making me smile on a crappy day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa!I hate weird mini conversations like that too. I don't blame you. I just walk away...FAR AWAYYYYY. I think Kennedy looks so pretty on you. My Target doesn't carry it either :-(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great weekend! You got lucky with the door opening situation! My store was more calm, with less bartering and no running. They also told us not to run :) I made out with 2 bags, the cat tee, and a few other things (on my blog.) I also wrote a review with some shopping tips. Enjoy your new purchases! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your Wu post! You picked up some lovely things. I regret just a tiny bit not trying more things on, but I was resolved that I only needed one thing. I guess I was unusually level-headed yesterday morning ;)

      Delete
  5. I got to my Target at 7:45. I was the 10th person in line (there are 3 entrances, but one is very close to the women's dept, so that's where I went). I think the crowd grew to 30 or so by 8am. I had my eye on two tops, was able to grab each in two sizes, and it's a good thing, b/c the sizing seemed all off. I was the 1st person to the dressing room & the 1st person to the cash register. All in all it was quite fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you were definitely on a mission, like me :) It's times like these that I'm glad I don't live in a particularly fashion-conscious city...

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful peachy nude. It's definitely an elegant color! As for target, I've never partaken in one of those mad dashes. I don't think I could handle it--- I would probably become overwhelmed and hide in a corner :) However, I applaud you for being a woman on a mission and making out with what you woke up that early for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the nail polish, I've been eyeing for a while. i also score some free Zoya's (last year it was 3).
    I was looking forward to this collection but I forgot when it was releasing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore this polish! I had planned for months to wake up bright and early to get to my Target for JW since all of our Missoni items were swiped in less than an hour. I ended up having to do more than planned this past weekend and as I woke up on Sunday, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting about something I had to do. It wasn't until about 2 o'clock when I saw someone talking about it online that I had a mild panic attack as I rushed out of the house to get to Target as fast as I could. Surprisingly there were tons of clothes left, but no accessories :( There were a few things left I considered buying, but nothing I desperately needed. I'm having a friend stalk her Target for me so hopefully I can get my hands on something (read: anything) with that cat on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also bought Zoya polishes from the 2012 promotion! They were my first Zoya polishes.
    Kennedy is so pretty; I love nude colors.

    That dress is so cute. I always get excited when the designer collections come out for Target or H&M, but whenever I see them in person, I tend to be disappointed. They just never seem to look as good in person, or the fabric quality is poor. The photos I've seen so far for the Jason Wu collection though seem to be pretty promising...I think I'm going to have to check it out! If there are any pieces left... :O

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also got Kennedy, and my first thought was, "This is soooo similar to Steady as She Rose." Haven't yet done (or looked for) a comparison, but if I'd not been in a Zoya Promo Haze, I'd have picked another one as I've got SaSR.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like Kennedy on you! I'm perpetually on the hunt for my ~perfect nudes~ and should you decide you want to get rid of this one, I will give it a loving new home. ;)

    90% of the Jason Wu pieces were gone by the time I walked into the Target near my BF's house on Sunday afternoon, but I stopped by the one in my hick town today and was able to grab the skirt I wanted. Now I have 90 days to decide whether I want to take it back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! That's the same dress that I scrambled for at my local target! Pure. Love. Totally worth navigating through the crazies for it! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!