Monday, March 19, 2012

China Glaze Smoke and Ashes

Over my winter break I had all these intentions of reading extraordinarily pretentious 19th century novels. Instead, as soon as I turned in my final paper my friend and I took a trip to Barnes and Noble and I bought The Hunger Games.  I started it the next day and couldn't put it down.  I was finished in two hours and I loved every second of it.  I know I was a little late to jump on the bandwagon, but I'm on it nevertheless, and I'm happy to be there.  The other day I HAULED.  I went to Ulta and there were so many polishes that I had to have.  A couple of them were from Capital Colors collection, and I have one to show you today.





It's so hard to photograph this one.  I can't tell if the base is a super dark blue or a black, but I think it's black.  The shimmer in the polish is green and blue, and that might trick the eye into thinking that the base itself is blue.  But I will say that the shimmer is not only difficult to see in pictures, it's kind of difficult to see in reality.  Don't get me wrong; this is a pretty polish.  But I sort of have an inkling that it has a near-dupe in Sinful Colors What's Your Name.  Here's a link to a post about that polish.  Smoke and Ashes was difficult to apply for me because it was really, really thick.  I used two coats.  From what I remember What's Your Name is kind of sheer and needs three coats.  You can find it at any Walgreens that carries Sinful Colors for $1.99, or $.99 if you find them on sale.


See all the blue, green, even purple in the bottle?

There was no question in my mind that I would own this polish because it supposedly represents District 12, home to to our heroes Katniss and Peeta.  BUT if this polish was in a collection that wasn't named after Hunger Games-related stuff, I don't think I would have bought it.  Does that make sense?  To me it's just not so special.  But I do love vampy polishes on short little nails like mine, so I'm happy enough to be wearing it.  


So what do you guys think?  Is this one special enough for you to buy?  Did you get it just for the name, like me?  I'm interested to hear your opinions.

17 comments:

  1. Dude I thought I read fast but two hours? Holy crapola Batman! I got this one, mahogany magic, foie gras and fast track. I am not sure I want to see the movie. Sometimes the movie ruins the book you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the base was blue base on another review...now I'm not sure if I would get it...they do look good on you

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather here makes me want to wear light and bright polishes - year 'round. So, I end up getting the darkest colors in Sinful Colors brand because I just won't end up wearing them much - even though they're beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they look good on you, but I get what you mean that the color is not that unique! I think I'm passing this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean about buying it because of what it's named after. I had to buy OPI's San Tan-tonio, because I love my former hometown so much -- but the color is not me at all, so I've never used it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got three of the HG colors and this was one of them. (I'm wearing Fast Track right now, actually.) I really like it, even though it's similar to a Nicole color I have (one of the gossip girl ones?). The shimmer in this one looks a bit larger compared to the Nicole polish, but I like that it's not an all out glitter. It makes it a lot easier to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got three too! Fast Track, Smoke and Ashes and... What's the third one you got? Maybe we got the same three :)

      Delete
  7. I was very disappointed by this one. It looked glorious in the bottle, and fell flat on the nail. I have enough black shimmers that I didn't need just another one. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with you about this polish - while it's nice, it has cheaper dupes and I probably wouldn't have gotten it if it wasn't a Hunger Games polish either =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got the. whole. collection. I couldn't help myself. I was very disappointed in Smoke & Ashes because the shimmer is so hard to see.

    Fast Track and Electrify are my favorites. I wouldn't have gotten Hook & Line, Luxe & Lush, or Mahogany Magic if they weren't Hunger Games polishes. Or if it weren't for the fact that after getting 9, I would've been pissed if I didn't get the other 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I also have the whole collection and a couple backups. I love black polish on my short nails so smoke and ashes required a backup. I also wouldn't have gotten the whole collection if I hadn't bought 8. I don't like luxe and lush, hook and line, foie gras, or mahogany magic.

      Delete
  10. I also was dissapointed in Smoke & Ashes because the shimmer is so hard to see. Ok in the bottle, and not anything on the nail that translates to what this beauty could have in it. CG should have done more with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a big Hunger Games fan, so I picked up several colours form this collection (Harvest Moon, Smoke and Ashes, Luxe and Lush, and Fast Track). Like you, I kind of got Smoke and Ashes because of the name. It DOES seem more "special" because of the inspiration. And I also partially got it because a lot of bloggers reviewed the collection and counted it as one of the must-haves, and said it was much better in person. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I finally put it on. I was expecting fireworks, but I really didn't see any shimmer in person, and I'm not a huge black polish fan, so I'm kind of "meh" on it. It does have a lot of depth for a black polish though, so it's certainly not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Disappointing?! Ooooooh i was so excited about this one :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. If What's Your Name? is the color I'm thinking of, the glitter is more obvious in it. I bought Smoke & Ashes for my sister because she loves WYN and similar colors, but I think she much preferred those to S&A. It didn't do it for me, so I'll see into selling it to a friend.

    If you look at the original names for the colors, it's really obvious how they got their inspiration from the series (one chart actually lists the inspirations). Like the purple-grey is Gale's color, and the brown is Peeta's. I think they really suit the tone of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah, I definitely would get some of these if they weren't named after Hunger Games stuff. Like Riveting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also have short nails. I think this is my favorite from the collection I even have a backup! I guess the inspiration did it for me. It was inspired by the night sky the tributes look into.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!