Tuesday, March 27, 2012

OPI I Have A Herring Problem AND Good News

Oh hey.  It's me.  I'm here.  Writin'.  I never thought I'd turn into a semi-sporadic-once-a-week kind of blogger, but I guess that's where I am right now.  But happily I have one of my picks from the OPI spring collection to show you, I Have A Herring Problem.  Warning:  my cuticles are dry and sad.



natural, overcast light


artificial light


artificial light


random iPhone picture; can you tell I'm having problems studying? 


I'm pretty in love with this polish.  It reminds me of overcast spring days, or the way the sky at the beach looks right before a storm.  This one changes for me depending on the light; sometimes it's a light cornflower and sometimes it's a dusty, moody blue-gray that is somewhere in the neighborhood of Orly Pixie Dust, just bluer, cooler.  The shimmer in this is gorgeous, too.  I see gold, pink and silver under artificial light, but mostly just silver in natural light.  The formula was lovely.  The first coat went on sheer, but the second made it look perfect and opaque. You see two coats here.

I love this OPI spring collection if only for the names.  I have so far allowed myself to purchase two polishes from Holland, but I think I need a few more.  They're too cute.  And the colors are too perfect and springy.  OPI is prying open my wallet and I'm not trying to stop it.  Hehe, herring problem.  Sigh. Puns.

What about you guys?  What were your picks from the Holland collection?  Any polishes I should definitely pick up?

Life update:
So you might wonder what I've been doing lately, because I've certainly been neglecting both my cuticles and this blog.  Good question.  Last Friday was the Cleveland Symposium, an event that I co-chaired with a classmate.  We spent a year organizing it and it was actually pretty amazing to see it come together.  I came up with the theme for this year (fragmentation), and it was cool to hear everyone give papers on a topic that I proposed.  The whole thing was really stressful and an all-day event, but it turned out well in the end and I made a few contacts.  

I've also been studying for my MA comprehensive exam (hence the highlighter and notes on Gothic architecture that you may or may not be able to decipher).  That test is April 3 and 4, and as much as I don't want to take it, I'm hoping that this week goes quickly so that I can just get it over with.

And now for good news.  On March 1 I found out that I had been accepted into a doctoral program and I was very happy.  Ecstatic, even.  But no funding decisions were made, so I didn't want to tell anyone. I've been waiting for many weeks for a funding decision from that school, and they still haven't gotten back to me.  But yesterday I got news that I'd been accepted to another school, and I was offered a very generous deal.  I'm still waiting to hear from a couple other schools, and I expect to receive word sometime this week.  Basically what I'm saying is this:

YAY.

To say that I am having trouble accurately expressing my happiness would be an understatement.  Now I could potentially go to school in Manhattan.  You know what's in Manhattan?  The Met.  You know what's at the Met?  Things that make my heart sing.







Ladies, this could be my dream come true.  Someone is going to pay me money to look at paintings and write stuff about them.  I'm almost hesitant to believe it happened.  To have the opportunity to be that close to a huge treasure trove of American painting...swoon.  

What this next week will bring, I don't know.  But we'll see.  For right now, I'm taking a break from studying, lying in bed, and thinking about standing in front of that Thomas Eakins painting instead of just looking at it in a book.  And I feel happier and lighter than I have in months.

30 comments:

  1. CONGRATS DARLING!!!!!! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helena!! Museum folks sticking together!!

      Delete
  2. Keeping my (newly-polished with Illamasqua Load) fingers crossed that you'll get the funding for your dream program, wherever it is! :) Also, when you said The Met, of course dorky old me thought of the OTHER Met (which I love as much as you love the first one).

    I haven't gotten this polish yet for some reason. It's lover-ly on you, and I think it's better for my skin tone than Rotterdam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny story, Rach. My dream program rejected me and I was in a bad way about it for weeks. Until I heard that the professor I had applied to work with had left that school (Yale) for another school (Stanford). It was quite a coup, apparently. Stanford had been wooing him for a while. But long story short, I can now assume (perhaps wrongly) that my rejection had nothing to do with me and my merits because my potential advisor left. My feelings about it are a little bitter, because I paid a lot of dollars and spent a lot of time applying to Yale that I could have used to apply to Stanford, but I had no idea he would leave. None of the Americanists who applied did.

      I just have to have a new dream now ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow! Congratulations! It's due to all your hard work! Hurray!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations lady!!! I actually wrote you an email this morning asking if you had heard anything yet, but didn't send it because I didn't want to pry :) I am over the moon for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have minded an e-mail. I've been holding most of my cards pretty close to my chest, but I know you have gone through it yourself so I would have shared.

      But yeah, I have to hear from one more place, and then I'll only have three weeks to decide what the hell I want to do. I'm just so glad I have a next step I can take. I worked so hard for this. I'm sure you know the feeling.

      Delete
  5. That is so awesome! I am so happy for you. It's always amazing to get paid doing what you love. Don't worry about being rejected it's their loss not yours. In every life there are changes to the paths we see for ourselves. And somehow, you still end up exactly where you should be! Wow that was deep and I'm not sure what that even means. I guess I am feeling nostalgic for that time in my life where you are now. Being 44, my life is not where I thought it'd be and it's really cool to see it through your excited eyes. Congrats dude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh congrats Steff, I'm so happy for you!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!!! That's so amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Having just finished grad school in Manhattan, I fully understand your excitement! A word of caution - what seems like a generous deal may not seem generous when you factor in cost of living in NY, HOWEVER, it will still be worth it. I wish you the best and look forward to hearing all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. When I found out I had an impulse to call my mom (which I need to learn to curb; I have to keep information to myself for a while to avoid the inevitable voice of reason that is my mother [mom if you're reading this it's not a dig at you, it's just facts]). As soon as I told her the first words out of her mouth were not "I'm proud of you" or "yay," they were, "but it's REALLY EXPENSIVE to live there." And then reality came crashing in. My dad had the same reaction. Later they of course told me they were proud of me, but their initial reactions were a little disappointing.

      But really for the next week or so I just want to revel in the fact that this might happen for me. My boyfriend and best friend both had the appropriate reactions of "THAT'S AMAZING" or "I'M SO PROUD OF YOU" immediately, so I at least had that satisfaction.

      Like I said, we'll just have to see what happens.

      Delete
    2. It is really expensive, but there's a reason and it's because it's SO worth it. It's do-able. I lived in Harlem while I was in school, and while it wasn't the living situation you dream of, it was affordable and safe enough that I could make it work. I hope I didn't come across as a downer. This is really exciting and you should only be celebrating! If there were ever a time in your life to take the plunge and move across the country, grad school is it!

      Delete
    3. Not a downer, but I appreciate any advice you have. The people I've talked to have said it's doable. So we'll see!

      Delete
  9. Congrats! It's a lot of commitment to keep on going with your ed. It's so consuming of everything you have most of the time. Yet there's something in me that loved to continue on. I love learning.

    I also really love Herring! I too seem to be going through a dry, peeling nail thing - not so much cuticle, but I always look to the cuticle as being maybe the base of the problem. I think basically I am just allergic to something in polishes and have to take breaks from wearing them for a couple weeks every few months. My toes are A-OK.

    My best recommendation for cuticles is always have some product with you in a tin or a pen form that won't leak all over (Burt's Bees or OPI Avoplex On the Go - or both). At night, I use Barielle Nail Strengthening Cream (you can buy it for $10 at Sally's and it's $17 at B.com site. Pro line at Sally's. Then AFTER you put that cream on, rubbing it in, it will still be damp, then use Barielle Intensive Nail Renewal Oil - which I think there is a 'mate' for it at Sally's Barielle Pro line -it's just called something else. I have bought mine at B.com but will figure out which one it is at Sally's when I need to replenish my stock unless there is some great half off everything sale at B.com. I have tried a ton of products and always come back to this duo.

    And you DO need more shades from the Holland collection most definitely! I vote for A Roll In the Hague to be one of 'em. It's the most amazing orange this side of being neon. If you have any of the Zoya's spring, be careful as there are a couple close 'sister' dupes between the 2 collections (Lotus (Z) & Dutch Ya Love My Tulips, Bevin (Z) & Windamillion are the ones that come to mind as dupish. I am not a fan of Vampsterdam personally - it's just one more dark purple with stuff that is hard to see in it. Red Lights Ahead is iffy for me since I have a ton of reds - but many seem to like it. Peddle Faster Suzie seems to have split like/not. I am in the like camp on that one - really love to put some light topper over it to pull up the silver kind of glass fleck in it.

    Again Congrats and thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on getting into TWO doctoral programs, and congrats on putting on a successful symposium (I know how stressful that is!), and good luck on your comps! And I have Pedal Faster, Suzy on my toes right now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The symposium was a good time. Sort of. Well, it was a time.

      Delete
  11. Congratulations! And that polish is gorgeous. I thought I didn't want any colors from this collection, but now you have me tempted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I kind of want them all. But that would just be silly...right?

      Delete
  12. Congrats on getting accepted! That is very exciting.

    I love the polish, it's such a pretty blue. It's making me very excited to wear Zoya Skylar, which I think looks similar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulation for your success girl, we are so happy for you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reading about this has made my morning - congratulations Stephanie, all your hard work has paid off, and you have sent me off on my day feeling very inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congradulations! Does being accepted into doctoral program mean you'll be teaching? Did you have to teach in your masters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was given a fellowship which means I'll be teaching. I'm in the second (and final) year of my MA now, and I've been teaching 101 and 102 level.

      Delete
  16. Congratulations on being accepted to do your PhD! I'm still struggling to finish my Masters thesis (and it's slowly killing me :P )... looking forward to hearing all about your future adventures in grad school!

    PS: I didn't feel moved to buy any of the OPI Holland collection polishes, but I do really love the name of this one. It cracks me up every time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The OPI Holland collection has been looking rather drab, overcast, dull, and grey on my hand. Something about it doesn't pop and feels like the more depressing version of colors I would love in other circumstances. C'est la vie.

    Anyway, congratulations on your acceptance. I am in love with art, utterly and totally. I just finished my M.A. at Columbia in Arts Administration and am LOVING being in NYC. There are 86 museums within the 5 boroughs and I cannot seem to get enough of the continuous cultural calendar here. If you ever need a friend in the city or a tour, feel free to contact me (a long time blog lurker, short time commenter). - KV

    http://thewalkup.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!